LEE Loadmaster, or Pro 1000? Yay or nay?

Would you recommend a Lee Press?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Lee Loadmaster, Lee Pro 1000, Other Lee Product, Or Would not reccomend a Lee Press at all

• Lee Loadmaster
    • Lee Pro 1000
    • Other Lee Product
    • I wouldn't reccomend a Lee press at all

I'm looking to start reloading soon as I stated in the topic about yugo brass. Anyways I'm pretty confused about what kind of equipment and more specifically which press I should get to start reloading. I've looked online at both the Lee Pro 1000 and especially the Lee Loadmaster and I want to get some more opinions about Lee's products (so far feedback has been good). I want a good starter setup, I'm going to be starting with .45acp and .223 as soon as I get it then working into .308 and 7.62x39 after I get the hang of it and save up some more money for dies. Please give opinions and recommendations in your replies. Or what you think should be in the poll.

I use the Loadmaster, and I really like it. Lee's website has some videos that you will do very well to download and watch, though, as the Loadmaster DOES have some quirks at first, until you get it figured out. Very small learning curve, though, and you'll be making ammo in no time.

Dillon is the way to go. I have a Lee press but only use it for decapping military brass before swaging the primer crimp out. Dillon stands behind their press and the 500 is the way to go. I do however use Lee dies, those are a great buy.

Dillon is the way to go. I have a Lee press but only use it for decapping military brass before swaging the primer crimp out. Dillon stands behind their press and the 500 is the way to go. I do however use Lee dies, those are a great buy.

Dillon's are so expensive though, I've also been looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. Which seems to be middle of the road price wise and top of the line performance and ease of use wise. Or Maybe a RCBS Rockchucker kit to start then latter I can upgrade it to a progressive with a add-on kit.

Edited by Krom

Want a progressive you don't have to screw with all the time?

Would you like one with a LIFETIME TRANSFERABLE warranty?

Want a progressive that is used by national champions?

Want to buy a good press ONCE instead of something you'll just end up replacing when you get tired of trying to make it work?

Go HERE

Thanks for all the info. I decided on a Lee Classic Turret. I figure it is a simple but not so slow way for me to learn on. I just feel that at my experience level a progressive (especially one that needs to be tweaked with) is over my head and a single stage press is too slow for what I need, seemed that the turret is a nice mix of the two. I'll update on how I like it and how it's going.

Thanks for all the info. I decided on a Lee Classic Turret. I figure it is a simple but not so slow way for me to learn on. I just feel that at my experience level a progressive (especially one that needs to be tweaked with) is over my head and a single stage press is too slow for what I need, seemed that the turret is a nice mix of the two. I'll update on how I like it and how it's going.

Krom,

I meant to reply yesterday but couldn't find the photo I needed.

You won't find a better reload manual in print and you could use this to deprime and resize brass, or ?

ANYWAY>>>

I happened upon a bargain when I was reloading and I just called the Lee factory and it is still in effect.

Lee Precision has been making reloading presses for as long as any other supplier.

They have a special for beginning reloaders.

Lee Anniversary Pack

"... a special offer for the beginning reloader. The Anniversary

pack has "Modern Reloading" that will teach you how to load ammo that is more accurate than factory on your first try. It also includes a free Reloader Press, a full size reloading press that accepts all

standard dies.

Lee Anniversary Pack

post-5881-1231078286.jpg

The book normally sells for $30.98 . You get the book and press for $39.98 Plus

$4 shipping.

This is a great deal for beginners. A single stage press is the safest way to learn reloading.

[send your order to:

Lee Precision

4275 Highway U

Hartford,

Wisc.

When you order ask for Service Part #90700.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

Krom,

I meant to reply yesterday but couldn't find the photo I needed.

You won't find a better reload manual in print and you could use this to deprime and resize brass, or ?

ANYWAY>>>

I happened upon a bargain when I was reloading and I just called the Lee factory and it is still in effect.

Lee Precision has been making reloading presses for as long as any other supplier.

They have a special for beginning reloaders.

Lee Anniversary Pack

"... a special offer for the beginning reloader. The Anniversary

pack has "Modern Reloading" that will teach you how to load ammo that is more accurate than factory on your first try. It also includes a free Reloader Press, a full size reloading press that accepts all

standard dies.

Lee Anniversary Pack

post-5881-1231078286.jpg

The book normally sells for $30.98 . You get the book and press for $39.98 Plus

$4 shipping.

This is a great deal for beginners. A single stage press is the safest way to learn reloading.

[send your order to:

Lee Precision

4275 Highway U

Hartford,

Wisc.

When you order ask for Service Part #90700.

louielouie

Thanks! I really appreciate the info, however I already ordered Abc's Of Reloading, and 1"Hornady Reloading Handbook 7th Edition". Do you think I still need the Lee manual? I would have probably ordered the kit that you are talking about but I already ordered the classic turret and manuals. It is a really good deal though.

Thanks! I really appreciate the info, however I already ordered Abc's Of Reloading, and 1"Hornady Reloading Handbook 7th Edition". Do you think I still need the Lee manual? I would have probably ordered the kit that you are talking about but I already ordered the classic turret and manuals. It is a really good deal though.

Krom,

You have all you need to get started. If you get the extra cash to buy the Lee manual and press I would do it.

The manual is one of the best written because it covers ballistics and each component in great detail as well as having complete reloading tables for all calibers.

I used to do all of my deprime-resize in my one stage press.

I used a RCBS Hand Priming Tool to do my priming.

Then I used my Lee turret press to

1-drop powder

2- push bullet to depth and taper crimp (if needed)

3- factory crimp/size the loaded round

louielouie

• 2 weeks later...

some years ago my wife got me a loadmaster I made lots of calls to LEE about the press not being in sync it went back and forth I gave up I have four dillon presses and they work out of the box I have a square deal B from my grand father that has seen 80K of 45ACP and is still working and when something fails I call and they send out new parts. The Dillons are the last presses that you will ever buy, when they say no BS life time warrenty they mean it.

• 3 weeks later...
Like what some of the others have said Dillion is the only press you buy once.No cost for parts that break and the best service in the industry. :wub:

David,

Dillon is the best in the business; I don't disagree with that.

I happen to think that a Porche is one of the best automobiles made, but I can't afford it, and besides I might find out I don't like sitting that low to the ground. Getting in and out of a sportscar is not what I want amymore.

My point is that Lee is one of the most inexpensive ways to start reloading. The equipment is okay and will load accurate loads. Then when a person decides if they really want to reload and what calibers, then (when they have the money) they can buy a Dillon ( and have the best reloader around).

I had a Lee single stage press that I started with and yet with the cost of all the components it was still not cheap to get set up. If the Dillon 650 was the only reloading press I could buy (to start with) then I never would have tried reloading.

louieloiuie

• 1 month later...
Like what some of the others have said Dillion is the only press you buy once.No cost for parts that break and the best service in the industry. :wub:

David,

Dillon is the best in the business; I don't disagree with that.

I happen to think that a Porche is one of the best automobiles made, but I can't afford it, and besides I might find out I don't like sitting that low to the ground. Getting in and out of a sportscar is not what I want amymore.

My point is that Lee is one of the most inexpensive ways to start reloading. The equipment is okay and will load accurate loads. Then when a person decides if they really want to reload and what calibers, then (when they have the money) they can buy a Dillon ( and have the best reloader around).

I had a Lee single stage press that I started with and yet with the cost of all the components it was still not cheap to get set up. If the Dillon 650 was the only reloading press I could buy (to start with) then I never would have tried reloading.

louieloiuie

Sorry, I have to chime in here with my 2% of a frn. I agree that new reloaders should start with an inexpensive press. That press should be a single stage of some kind. It will teach you the stages of reloading, provide very consistant ammo at minimal cost. My first one was a Rock Chucker from RCBS and I still use it regularly.

So about the time that Lee came out with the Pro 1000 I was loading more and more ammo, I fell for the ads and bought one. I knew that Lee had been around forever, and thought that implied some level of quality control and functionality. What an education that was. That was hands down the worst piece of crap equipment I have ever had to contend with. Primer feed was a joke, sometimes they would go in. Sometimes not, sometimes sideways, sometimes upside down. And they were all loaded into it the right way. You could not tell from the feel if it worked right or not. If the primer failed to feed the ball powder I was using would dribble out the primer hole when it dropped at the next station. Within a dozen rounds or so the damn thing would just lock up. I would have to completely take the thing apart and clean it to get it working again. It wan not uncommon to spend two hours and end up with 50 rounds of useable ammo.

Several calls to Lee and returning the damn thing twice did not dramatically improve things. I finally removed the dies, put it in the truck and drove to the river bridge, stopped and threw it as far into the river as I could. It shames me now to admit I polluted the river with such a piece of crap. All of that plastic will never corrode, it will be there forever. All I can say is frustration drove me to it, and the shame has probably made me less likely to do something so enviromentally bad again.

I know there are plenty of people that will tell you they have one and it works. Well good for them, but they still have a working piece of crap, instead of a non working piece of crap. Lee may have actually improved it so they now have an improved working piece of crap. BUT it's still a piece of crap. I hear from everyone in the industry that Lee's crimping dies are the best. I hear this from people who's opinion I respect, but I do not own any. IF Lee progressives were the only thing available I would still be using a single stage or just quit reloading altogether.

At the time this happened I was very strapped for cash. I reloaded to save money, I bought the Lee because of the price. It was not much money, but it was hard to come by then. I felt ripped off and still do. I started saving, it took me three years to save enough to get a Dillon, but that was the best investment I ever made. It will last me through my lifetime, and my kids as well.

The point of this post is to relay my experiences. It is not an attempt to disuade anyone from buying Lee equipment. If they know it will work then by all means go ahead. Perhaps they need the same experience I had to overcome their naiveté. At any rate, I wish everyone the best.

• 2 weeks later...

OUTSTANDING choice!!!! I started with the Lee 4-hole progressive and have never looked back. Solid...non-quirky...easy to set, adjust,maintain. The price of the dies with more options than others are the best on the market. My only NON-Lee purchases have been an RCBS powder trickler (like the metal base), RCBS case master gauging tool (match grade ammo by insuring axial true), and a Lyman Flash Hole Deburring Tool (prefer match grade cases and I have more time than money).

You won't go wrong with Lee.....EVER!