bolt hold-open. which type do you prefer?

Seems like there are 2 options for making a bolt hold-open. 1. is to modify the Tapco hammer so that the stock part will go back in after conversion. or 2. to cut a slot in the dust cover to hold open the bolt.

Seems like option 1 has some advantages, but seems like it might get in the way when pulling the trigger. With option 2 you have a hole in the dust cover.

Which option did you pick and how do you like it????

Actually, you notch the safety lever, not the dust cover. Since the safety lever is down while you are firing I don't see it as an issue, although with it up (safe) there is a small hole in the overall covering. I use the original Saiga BHO, but I don't really like it. Since I got a new dremel tool for Christmas, I may try to notch my safety lever myself. The cost to buy one pre-notched is too high for me.

I wouldn't for the life of me leave that bolt hold open in a gun I converted to the original pistol grip format. Your trigger finger is lying across it when you're firing that's way to much liability for me to even begin to mess with. I myself will be leaving the bolt hold open out period, no notch in the safety, no lever by the pistol grip. I can afford to do that because Indiana ranges are mostly outdoors and it's an un needed item to me. If I ever need one I'll cut a dowel rod down and shove it in there :lol:

I wouldn't for the life of me leave that bolt hold open in a gun I converted to the original pistol grip format. Your trigger finger is lying across it when you're firing that's way to much liability for me to even begin to mess with.

I kept the stock BHO, as it was, when I did my conversion. After a couple of trips to the range, I shortened it by about 40% as it was longer than necessary. At no time was I ever able to accidentally engage the BHO while shooting from either an off-hand or benched position. I find it just short of totally uncomfortable to push the BHO into the receiver with my trigger finger in its shooting position. Purposefully repositioning my finger to engage the BHO is very much a deliberate act. Unlike you, my trigger finger is not lying across it when I'm firing....and I guess there in lies the difference.

i've made a few bho saftey levers, did my s-12 last night....i dont just cut a notch, i did once and it is a pita to line it up right, i just pull the bolt back mark about how far back it should be and remove the whole top corner of the safety lever, that way when i pull back and toss the safety up i dont have to line up, it just goes