Sign in to follow this  
edgo

bolt replacement & headspace

I ordered a complete spare bolt from Tanta for my S12. Does headspace need to be checked if I were to swap bolts? I know it would with a regular centerfire AK but what about a shotgun?

Thanks,

Ed

Chamber a shell with your old bolt with the top covor off, watch and especially feel how it chambers, then do the same with the new bolt.

I have a spare from tantal and it functions perfectly.

• Like 1

Rimmed cartriges such as shot shells and .22's headspace on the rim. This is a lot easier than say a .308 or a 7.62-39 where the headspace is to the taper on the 'shoulder' of the round. If the S-12 bolt closes fully it should be OK .

G O B

necroing this thread, i replaced a barrel, the old barrel pin isnt perfecly aligned yet, i not wanting to press barrel in further, as it is hard on my brass tool to push barrels out, buti feel i need to try that, any opinions?

Anyway you can borrow a 12 gage head space gage?  They are funny flat looking things.  Just me here but anytime I change out a bolt head I would like very much to check the head space.  Reason being precision is desired.  Also I am Left Handed and take care with the brass and cases coming right out of the chamber aimed at my person.  Yikes.  Gas hurts.

• Like 1

Shotgun headspace is not as critical as a high power rifle caliber might be. Close is generally going to be just fine.