Twist rate in Saiga-M .223 21.8" Barrel and reloading

I'm going to start reloading and want to optimize the loads. Anyone know the twist rate? Have any tips for a noob? I will be using LC XM193 and Prvi M193 fired brass. I'm thinking of getting Hornady 55 grn FMJ-BT but haven't decided due to not knowing the twist.

I have about 1500 rounds of the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT for reloading They work just fine in my .223 Saiga. As far as loads go, powder manufacturers have recommended loads available online. Start low and build up to a load that works well for you. The LC and Privi brass are likely to have crimped primers. You'll find out when you try to drive out the old ones. That's another plate of beans to deal with. I suggest that you buy 100 rounds of new brass to start out for $20 and leave the military reloads for later when you have more experience.

Edited by pogy

I believe I have heard that the regular Saiga was 1:9 also. Does the extra inch the M model has make a difference in twist rate. And to be honest i don't even understand the concept of twist and how it relates to bullet weight...could someone give me a crash course as to what bullets perform the best? thanks.

1:7 means one twist in 7 inches. A heavier bullet needs a faster twist to stabilize it. 1:9 is a slower twist and more suitable for lighter bullets.

This topic is more suited to the "Reloading and Ammunition" Forum. Check it out and try some searches.

I'm going to start reloading and want to optimize the loads. Anyone know the twist rate? Have any tips for a noob? I will be using LC XM193 and Prvi M193 fired brass. I'm thinking of getting Hornady 55 grn FMJ-BT but haven't decided due to not knowing the twist.

A word of advice, based on my experience with a Savage .223 - buy at least one box of commercial ammunition in each of the bullet weights you might be interested in. Shoot some groups at the range, and see if your rifle seems to prefer one bullet weight over the rest. The results might surprise you. My Savage has a fast enough twist that I figured it would prefer medium-heavy bullets, but it actually shoots best with 50 grain loads. Go figure...