I went to load a mag for a friend of mine - he has an AR that shoots 7.62 Nato...

But I reached into my Mosin Ammo pouch and pulled out 7.62x54R.

I quickly saw my error - no harm done - I didn't even put one in the mag.

BUT - I was inspired.

I think what the world needs in an AR15 with 7.62x54R upper. (An alternative to a PSL or Dragonov - or SVT.)

Can someone please talk me out of this.

I can't see this as even possible. The gas pressure trying to get shoved through such a small gas tube would not be reliable. If it didn't blow up in your face after a magazine of rounds.

I guess I'm not seeing that substantial a difference between a 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R that would create that much issue on the gas. (worst case use a piston config.)

The chamber would need to be - what - 3mm deeper, and the ejector and bolt would have to be modified/replaced to eject the rimmed x54.

Amen to the x54R Saiga - I've had my eyes on those ROMAK beasts.

I can't see this as even possible. The gas pressure trying to get shoved through such a small gas tube would not be reliable. If it didn't blow up in your face after a magazine of rounds.

I guess I'm not seeing that substantial a difference between a 7.62 NATO and 7.62x54R that would create that much issue on the gas. (worst case use a piston config.)

The chamber would need to be - what - 3mm deeper, and the ejector and bolt would have to be modified/replaced to eject the rimmed x54.

Amen to the x54R Saiga - I've had my eyes on those ROMAK beasts.

There is a large powder difference between the rounds. Get ahold of both and hold them side by side. You will understand what I'm talking about. Also from personal experience with the M16A4 I carried the gas tube and where it mates to the bolt are the weak point of the system and if you have a mechanical failure with an M16 more than likely it is there or in the bolt it self. It would be an interesting gun to have but every weapon I own uses the simplest and most robust design possible so that every time I pull the trigger it goes bang. Look at my gun list in my sig.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

Humm, lets do the math.

Corrosive ammo + direct gas system bolt impingement system = Failure.

Do not get me wrong, I applaud your innovation, am a AR fan and understand the advantages. But putting a more dirty round in the AR platform is a bad idea, no way around it.

I cannot see there being any real problem in converting an AR-10 from .308WIN to 7.62x54R. They have the same characteristics, except the Russian round is larger physically. It'd be a real pain to clean your entire receiver every time you fire corrosive ammo though. A full detail strip for every shot? No thanks.

There is enough non corrosive ammo out there that it would NOT be a problem to run only that through it... especially when you will be paying TOP DOLLAR for a rifle of that caliber... If you want a rifle to shoot corrosive X54 out of, go buy a nagant. At this point you need to ask yourself... What exactly would you gain other than coolness factor? There are many high powered choices available in the AR10... and with that said...

AR10's are NOT cheap... and I am sure having one made with a X54 chamber/barrel would be even more pricey!

I have little doubt one could be made and made rugged enough... they have all kinds of hot calibers in the AR platform these days...

But again... to what point??? limited choices in inexpensive non corrosive ammo... and not much more bang for your buck... than a caliber that is already in production...

Would I want one??

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!! :super: in FACT..... I would want TWO!!!!! :up: :up:

:smoke:

There is enough non corrosive ammo out there that it would NOT be a problem to run only that through it... especially when you will be paying TOP DOLLAR for a rifle of that caliber... If you want a rifle to shoot corrosive X54 out of, go buy a nagant. At this point you need to ask yourself... What exactly would you gain other than coolness factor? There are many high powered choices available in the AR10... and with that said...

AR10's are NOT cheap... and I am sure having one made with a X54 chamber/barrel would be even more pricey!

I have little doubt one could be made and made rugged enough... they have all kinds of hot calibers in the AR platform these days...

But again... to what point??? limited choices in inexpensive non corrosive ammo... and not much more bang for your buck... than a caliber that is already in production...

Would I want one??

HELL FUCKING YES!!!!! :super: in FACT..... I would want TWO!!!!! :up: :up:

Well, hell, I have the Mosin already and tons of ammo... that was the idea!

I guess it could use a piston - I've seen AR kits for these but not played with one - that would keep the gas cleaner and help with the recoil.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like an x54R Saiga (or even a ROMAK - I keep looking at them...) but the AR flexibilityh seems to lend itself to such morphing.

well, you would need to start with an AR10 to even think about using the X54 cartridge... because you would need the longer sized magwell for the cartridge length... Then your selection of uppers is rather limited...

go price some AR10 lowers.... lol... Just buy the PSL...

I REALLY DO wish there was one... but I doubt one would ever be made except by someone with the ability to do it themselves, and then just for the coolness " because I can " factor....

well, you would need to start with an AR10 to even think about using the X54 cartridge... because you would need the longer sized magwell for the cartridge length... Then your selection of uppers is rather limited...

go price some AR10 lowers.... lol... Just buy the PSL...

I REALLY DO wish there was one... but I doubt one would ever be made except by someone with the ability to do it themselves, and then just for the coolness " because I can " factor....

Just like all the hot-rods I've never built I guess...(sigh)

I guess I could meet my need to KUMBAYA US arms with COMBLOC ammo with an x39 AR upper - they are readily available.

In fact, I think I could get the x39 upper, the PSL for less than the AR10 - maybe even fit in another siaga in under that budget.

The other thing I might add is that even the non-corrosive 7.62x54R is usually DIRTY stuff. Particularly if you're restricted to the 150-grain bullets and not the 180-grain ones. It's just nasty. Now, granted, if you can shoot 180-grain there's several US and foreign brands that produce genuinely good ammo. But if you're restricted to PRVI Partisan and Wolf, it's going to crap itself in short order. It shoots great, but burns dirty.

It can't be done.

1. corrosive

2. non-corrosive is usually DIRTY

3. gas tube too small

All the above are all BS. (Can be fixed with a stainless steel gas system or piston conversion.

I'm still not going to tell you it can be done.

On a 308 AR platform there just isn't enough space from an engineering standpoint.

The rim of 54R is just so big you can't make a bolt face wide enough to fit the rim without cutting locking lugs.

However you might be able to mod a COBB 300 to work as it will handle .338 lapua (But the rim on that round still isn't that big, and you would have an extremely heavy and expensive gun to shoot cheap ammo.

Cross your fingers and hope for a 54R saiga.

hmmmm.....kaboom002.jpg

kaboom010.jpg

^ result of a bad reload. But i'd imagine that may happen with the poor ammo you receive from some god forsaken country if there were a 54R AR, i'd stick with a .308 AR and make sure its a piston setup....

Edited by Vultite
hmmmm.....kaboom002.jpg

kaboom010.jpg

^ result of a bad reload. But i'd imagine that may happen with the poor ammo you receive from some god forsaken country if there were a 54R AR, i'd stick with a .308 AR and make sure its a piston setup....

That's why i wear eye glasses when i shoot and why i triple check when i'm reloading my ammo. Can you say OUCH!!!! :unsure:

• 11 years later...

Hello guys.

Actually I own AR15, AR10, and of course my Russian Nagant 7.62X54R. I love this rifle and ammo, one thing that it calls me the attention is that most of you guys are saying is in regard to " Corrosive Ammo " let me clarify this that there's a Non-Corrosive Ammo in the market too. I do have in stock about 900 rounds and about 400 rounds of them are from about 20 years ago and they still damn good to be fired. I had the same idea to produce an AR to fire this ammo and even I called AR54. AR54 it's easy to build and will be priced same as the AR10 due to the facts that you use the AR10  frame with a different Chamber 7.62X54R. I took this idea to gunsmiths but it's hard to find someone who think out the pot.   

!!!!! YOU CAN NOT LOAD 7.62x54R INTO AN AR10 MAG!!!!! .308 or 7.62X51 is a lot smaller than the 7.62X54R and I do not see how this guy loaded a 54R into his AR. I do hope is still alive and no injuries of any kind on his face. Please see pictures of a AR10 Mag with a 54R Bullet on top and the rounds standing are at the left and right different 54R and in the middle a .308 ammo.