Hi guys,

A few months ago I went crazy with trying to get parts for my guns and just now realized that I had a Tapco trigger kit in my parts bin. Is there any way to get this to work without doing the full pistol-grip conversion on my rifle?

I really want a nicer trigger action than what is stock, what I have now. I'm pretty sure that the Tapco kit will do just that, but I've heard that this doesn't work on non-converted rifles without some grinding or modifying on the group. Also don't really want to try and sell this and buy yet another parts set.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or do I really need to do the full conversion to take advantage of this trigger group?

Thanks,

Paul

Cheers!

Hi guys,

A few months ago I went crazy with trying to get parts for my guns and just now realized that I had a Tapco trigger kit in my parts bin. Is there any way to get this to work without doing the full pistol-grip conversion on my rifle?

I really want a nicer trigger action than what is stock, what I have now. I'm pretty sure that the Tapco kit will do just that, but I've heard that this doesn't work on non-converted rifles without some grinding or modifying on the group. Also don't really want to try and sell this and buy yet another parts set.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or do I really need to do the full conversion to take advantage of this trigger group?

Thanks,

Paul

Cheers!

well the only thing i can think to tell you is.. the FCG for on unconverted Saiga is specific to that rifle ( http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html )... so unless you have THAT fcg its not going to work on the unconverted rifle.. now if you do have the FCG for a Saiga then sure it would be fine.. converting the gun made the gun feel better but also cleaned up the trigger action nicely.. even if you dont want a FULL pg maybe you could do the thumbhole stock that comes under the gun and meets the trigger where the PG would meet it..

Edited by DamagedWorld

Thanks DW! Putting a pistol grip (or even the thumbhole stock) is harder to do here in Kommie-fornia because doing that automatically makes it an "assault weapon" unless I put a mag catch lockout on it. :rolleyes: I can do that too, and I may end up with that, but it sure gets attention from others on the range, and I try not to be noticed!

That being said, I don't really recall which FCG I have now! It is a single hook G2. Can I just grind down the hammer slightly thinner so it will work past the BHO lever? That's the main difference, isn't it?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't really know gunsmithy that well, trying to learn from you gurus!

Thanks!

Paul

No....the main difference is in the trigger itself.

In the unconverted Saigas (all of them except the .308) the trigger is a separate part than the sear. What makes the factory Saiga triggers feel so creepy and crappy, is the fact that when you pull the trigger, it has to pivot on one pin, by leverage it activates a fulcrum, which in turn activates a third part....the sear and disconnector assembly. Only then, after all those other moving parts do their job, can the hammer be released.

Now with a Tapco G-2, or any other normal AK trigger group, the trigger and sear are one piece that pivot on the same axis pin. You pull the trigger back, the upper half (sear or 'claw'...the 'hook' part of the 'single hook') rotates forward and release the hammer. You don't get all that spongy feeling extra movement and it results in a MUCH cleaner and better feeling trigger pull.

When you replace that whole F'd up chain of events that is the Saiga trigger, with a real AK trigger, the difference is like night and day.

Here is a picture of the Saiga trigger group in the rifle.....

post-1293-1231169963_thumb.jpg

...out of the rifle....

post-1293-1231169977_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1231170320_thumb.jpg

In the link DW posted above ( http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html ) dinzag is offering a converted version of the G-2 that will go into the unconverted Saiga and work just like the original one. What he's done with these FCGs is basically this...

post-1293-1231171376.jpg

It will still probably improve the feel some, but more importantly it's US made so if you wanted to change some other things around on your gun, but no PG, you could count this as 3 compliance parts.

A modified G-2, or other AK FCG can easily be put in an unconverted Saiga without removing the rear pins holding the "trigger" and the fulcrum pins. You just use something like a small screwdriver or pick, to push down on the retaining wire, just in front of the trigger axis pin. While holding it down, push the pin out the LH side of the gun.

Once you have that pin out, the hammer pin can be easily released by pulling up on the retaining wire with a hook tool. Remove the hammer. Then you replace all the parts (exactly like they were originally)in reverse order.

I'm a strong proponent of just skipping all shortcuts and doing the proper conversion, but if you live in a place that makes that difficult, or you just like the feel of the weapon more in a sporter configuration, then yes, you can just buy a G-2 and mod it like that to work in your Saiga.

Yes you can do it with those tools.

In the link DW posted above ( http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html ) dinzag is offering a converted version of the G-2 that will go into the unconverted Saiga and work just like the original one. What he's done with these FCGs is basically this...

post-1293-1231171376.jpg

Hey Cobra, in this picture, it looks like the trigger itself is ground off? What do you pull then to get the gun to fire?? :eek:

I was thinking about just getting the Dinzag one, but I'm REALLY having a hard time justifying spending another $70 for this! Half that and I could do it, but holy chit that's one expensive group! Would he modify the one I've already got for substantially less do ya think? I'd ask him, but I've never gotten any response from any email or posting I've made yet. :(

I'm no stranger to working on stuff (I play with my cars a lot!), and I don't mind learning more about how these things work, but I don't want to ruin it! That's why I'm being overly cautious I guess. :unsure:

Thanks for all the help too!

Cheers,

Paul

post-1293-1231171376.jpg

It will still probably improve the feel some, but more importantly it's US made so if you wanted to change some other things around on your gun, but no PG, you could count this as 3 compliance parts.

A modified G-2, or other AK FCG can easily be put in an unconverted Saiga without removing the rear pins holding the "trigger" and the fulcrum pins. You just use something like a small screwdriver or pick, to push down on the retaining wire, just in front of the trigger axis pin. While holding it down, push the pin out the LH side of the gun.

Once you have that pin out, the hammer pin can be easily released by pulling up on the retaining wire with a hook tool. Remove the hammer. Then you replace all the parts (exactly like they were originally)in reverse order.

Cobra,

Wouldn't this still use the factory trigger (and so only count as two parts towards compliance)?