Siaga 12 gas piston for 922R

On AK's (and Saiga rifles) the gas piston is concave on the end. On Saiga shotguns the corresponding part is flat on the end and is just part of the boltcarrier. The floating puck is the piston.

What I find curious is why the part that resembles the normal AK gas piston is not counted as an op rod. I'm glad it's not, but it is contrary to the ATFs normal way of looking at things. If they count a FAL charging handle as an op rod (a bit of a stretch IMHO) You would think that they would count it for sure.

What I find curious is why the part that resembles the normal AK gas piston is not counted as an op rod. I'm glad it's not, but it is contrary to the ATFs normal way of looking at things. If they count a FAL charging handle as an op rod (a bit of a stretch IMHO) You would think that they would count it for sure.

Well, the obvious answer is that the regulations are a buch of cobbled together, fly by the seat of their pants, winging it, whatever the fuck we feel like today, bullshit. Just be happy they were nice enough for identify enough changeable parts that we don't have to wind up building a completely new gun around the barrel just so we can have a Saiga.

• 4 weeks later...

FROM MAA's WEBSITE. THIS IS THE ROD THAT I ORDERED>

Home :: Saiga :: Saiga 12 :: TAPCO Saiga 12 & 20 Gas Piston

Saiga 12

Product 32/40

larger image TAPCO Saiga 12 & 20 Gas Piston

$14.99

TAPCO Gas Piston for Saiga 12 and Saiga 20

Made in United States and counts as 1 US part for 922r compliance.

Add to Cart:

Model: SAG0701

Shipping Weight: 1lbs

38 Units in Stock

Manufactured by: Tapco

post-14183-1233891852_thumb.jpg

Edited by jacknast76

Saiga 12

Product 32/40

$14.99

Add to Cart:

38 Units in Stock

I did the same thing you did! I thought this was the puck??? I got mine last week and my next question is !! How the hell you get the old piston rod off???

Saiga 12

Product 32/40

$14.99

Add to Cart:

38 Units in Stock

I did the same thing you did! I thought this was the puck??? I got mine last week and my next question is !! How the hell you get the old piston rod off???

DELETED

Edited by gangsta99

As I understand it, a piston has grooves cut into the head to accept rings.

On a AK based rifle, the piston is screwed into the bolt carrier and riveted

in place. This piston has the grooves cut into the head and counts as

the 922r part. According to the Saiga-12 factory manual, the piston is

the puck. The extension on to the Saiga-12 bolt carrier has a smooth head

and the puck has the grooves.

The ATF 922r letter, I found on this site, only lists a piston. And from what I've read

here, there's no clear cut definition, from the ATF, as to which part is considered

the piston. I don't think the solid extension, riveted to the bold carrier would

be considered an operating rod, as an op rod it typical a free-moving separate

part. Like on an SKS.

There's no telling, but I would tend to sided with the manufactures manual.

My newbie .02, kbailey3

I found this the other day. Dinzag Arms has the instructions on changing the rod. He also charges $50 to do it if you send it to him. Not unreasonable.

However if the puck is the piston and the rod isn't I'm just going to shelve it for a rainy day. I found some pucks at Chaos had like 9 left the other day.

Here's the link.

changing gas piston rod

I found this the other day. Dinzag Arms has the instructions on changing the rod. He also charges $50 to do it if you send it to him. Not unreasonable.

However if the puck is the piston and the rod isn't I'm just going to shelve it for a rainy day. I found some pucks at Chaos had like 9 left the other day.

Here's the link.

changing gas piston rod

Question for you guys also. Does your factory gas piston that is pinned to your bolt carrier move at all if you try to twist it? On the AKs that I own my gas piston is really tightly threaded in the bolt carrier and pinned on tightly with zero movement, but on my Saiga 12 shotgun I can with my hand twist the piston just a little. It is still pinned in there tightly, but is this going to become a huge problem?

Edited by gangsta99

Here's the link.

changing gas piston rod

Now that I see this is more of a pain in the ass to replace then I thought it would be I won't be using this piston either. I will save it incase the

original one somehow is damaged or broken. I am upset that MAA lists these as counting as 1 922r part when it really looks like they don't count

for one.

Back in the day, everyone was looking to find as many 922r compliant parts as they could to replace foreign parts with.

The "puck" WAS NOT common knowledge back then. Everyone assumed the gas system for the S12 shotgun

was the same as every other AK rifle...

The idea was to do what we've been doing on AK rifle conversions and change out the "gas piston".

The S12 shotgun bolt carrier "looked" like the AK bolt carrier/gas piston setup. Several companies cranked out some

S12 gas pistons and many people here swapped them out.

BUT, after closer inspection, someone realized that the design of the gas systems between the AK rifles and the S12 shotguns were actually

different from one another.

What LOOKED like a gas piston in the S12 shotgun was actually not capable of performing the action that a gas piston has to do

(there are no grooves). What looks like a AK gas piston is nothing more than an extension of the boltcarrier. The "puck" in the

S12 DOES have grooves in it and performs the duties like that of a standard AK gas piston (that IS pinned to the bolt carrier).

The difference being the "puck" in the S12 is not pinned the the bolt carrier.

I know this doesnt help you, but it does give you some history to WHY somebody might have a "gas piston" available and not

calling it a "puck".

LB

Saiga 12

Product 32/40

$14.99

Add to Cart:

38 Units in Stock

I bought the same part expecting it to be the puck...might send it in and have the part put on anyway because I doubt I'll be able to change it myself after checking out dinzag's method, and I paid for the part and I might as well use it. Anyone know how long it would take?

Dinzag's $50 "gas piston install" doesn't apply to the Saiga 12 in case anyone was still wondering since because the Saiga 12 piston is actually the puck.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with the impostor piston I bought from MAA.

I think it is damn irresponsible for Tapco and/or MAA to call the bolt carrier extension a 922r countable part. It clearly is not and could end somebody up in prison. If the part was countable, it would be listed as an op rod by the ATF and it isn't. The only other way it could count was if the ATF was counting it as the piston, which would mean that the puck was not countable.