First posting as I just received my new x39 16 inch Monte Carlo stock Saiga, 10 round mag rifle. Happy to be part of the club.

I can't say my rifle and I are off to what I would consider a perfect union after joining the family!

I first noticed that the box the rifle was packaged in had a hole in the cardboard where the bolt handle had punctured during delivery. It had indeed received some slight damage and removed the finish with one small burr incurred. My Romanian G had a similar incident as its bolt handle also had punctured the box on delivery. Also a couple of other minor blemishes. I know, this isn't a beauty contest and perhaps they were meant to be siblings? What gives? :)

Second, the front site pin is definitely not centered. I haven't shot the rifle yet, but looks to me like I may get an opportunity to adjust the windage perhaps? Not sure yet. The Romy was straight on out of the box. Fortunate I suppose.

Third, my paperwork shows a 132 mm grouping from 100 meters. Essentially 5.2 inch. Not sure how this compares to others on the forum.

Hole in the box doesn't mean squat. Happens all the time with a lot of ANY AK's shipped.

Many of the Saiga FSB's seem to be incorretly canted by only looking at them. Shoot it and see if it is accurate or not. If not, the FSB can be tweaked to correct the problem.

That grouping that they send with the documentation doesn't mean squat.

This info should be encouraging to you.

Welcome to the board!

...Third, my paperwork shows a 132 mm grouping from 100 meters. Essentially 5.2 inch. Not sure how this compares to others on the forum...

Sounds like a rare "Ultra-Match" Model! :up:

Tritum is right. That grouping means nothing. My paper stated even a worse spread. I bothered me so much that I contacted Clyde at RAA about it. Long story short, he said those are test fire groups off hand and should not reflect the true capability of the rifle. Try it out and if it don't shoot better than that we will bend over backwards to make you happy.

When spring came and I benched it out I was more than pleased. Since then I converted it and installed a Red Star FCG and put a modified BP-O2 side mount topped with and Aimpoint CompC3. Late last fall just prior to opening day I grouped 4 shots within 2.5" at 145 yards with Wolf mil spec ammo. Even the AR guys were impressed. :huh:

Edited by MacMan

Defintely shoot it before doing any conversion.

Another member here did a conversion on an unfired and untested weapon. When it was done and he went out to fire it and realized that the rails had been installed incorrectly. IIRC, they were sitting too high or some such thing. I believe he finally got it resolved with a little help from some of the fine gun gurus we have here.

If there are any issues with the stock weapon, you can send it back.

Thanks for the information everyone! Very helpful. I am especially encouraged to hear that the groupings are acquired offhand.

I have been reading the forum for quite some time. It is forums like this that give those of us who haven't had exposure to even the most basic of gunsmithing tasks the confidence to do a conversion. Of course, I may get 1/2 into it and decide that my courage exceeds my skills. (: