Modification to repair FTE issues on Saigas with blocked gas ports

The gas block metal is not too hard and is easy to file.

That wasn't the case with my Saiga. My gas block is some kind of hardened tool steel; a regular file would barely scratch it. I burned out 2 cobalt drill bits trying to enlarge the hole, and ended up using a 3/8 carbide ball end mill angled forward so the rear of the hole between the barrel and gas piston stayed in the same place. And I had to use diamond files to remove burrs afterward.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hole for the "D" mod in the gas block has nothing to do with the rear sight, they are not even close in proximity. The front sight bead on a factory S12 is attached to the top of the gas block and

Posted Images

Well guys, I finally got around to attempting the gas port and gas block fix. First off, thanks so much for the excellent write up. It helped a lot. Like several of you guys, I had a heck of a time getting the gas block off. The pins weren't that bad, but using a shelf bracket and my ball peen hammer had no effect at all.

When I read through every post, I found a couple nuggets of great info. First off, you need to use a big enough hammer. I went to Home Depot and snagged a 4lb blacksmith hammer. I also ran to the door aisle and grabbed a large brass door hinge. I scavenged the brass hinge pin to use as a drift punch. Worked like a charm.

As for gas ports, I had three holes, and two were partially obstructed. The holes were also tiny...only 1/16 of an inch each. I stepped up to a 3/32" bit, which equates to the .093 I'd read a couple times as being the proper size for 3-hole guns. (I read to use 5/64 for 4-hole guns.)

As for the gas block, I used a 3/8" bit to enlarge both holes. Then I used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the hole for the gas ports.

Reassembly wasn't too bad. I can now clearly see my enlarged gas ports. I'm really eager to see if this cures my FTE problems.

Thanks again for all the advice gents!

Well guys, I finally got around to attempting the gas port and gas block fix. First off, thanks so much for the excellent write up. It helped a lot. Like several of you guys, I had a heck of a time getting the gas block off. The pins weren't that bad, but using a shelf bracket and my ball peen hammer had no effect at all.

When I read through every post, I found a couple nuggets of great info. First off, you need to use a big enough hammer. I went to Home Depot and snagged a 4lb blacksmith hammer. I also ran to the door aisle and grabbed a large brass door hinge. I scavenged the brass hinge pin to use as a drift punch. Worked like a charm.

As for gas ports, I had three holes, and two were partially obstructed. The holes were also tiny...only 1/16 of an inch each. I stepped up to a 3/32" bit, which equates to the .093 I'd read a couple times as being the proper size for 3-hole guns. (I read to use 5/64 for 4-hole guns.)

As for the gas block, I used a 3/8" bit to enlarge both holes. Then I used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the hole for the gas ports.

Reassembly wasn't too bad. I can now clearly see my enlarged gas ports. I'm really eager to see if this cures my FTE problems.

Thanks again for all the advice gents!

3/8"?????

• 3 years later...

Need help.  My Saiga only has one port hole visible through the plug hole. Bolt does not cycle well, even with TAC 47 plug with screw adjusted all the way in for full gas.

Need help:

I cannot get the pin below the barrel off. So far broke one punch. Looks like the pin is welded on one side (is that possible?).  Suggestions?  Do I keep grinding until I see pin.

How doI get the pin out...and get another one in?

20200226-175149.jpg

20200226-175204.jpg

20200226-175133-3.jpg

I also noticed that on the Left side of the gas block, there is a huge hole at the tube to gas block that is through and through into the piston chamber -- is that designe to be like that?-- the puck striking the  piston head?

Edited by llbeen