Modification to repair FTE issues on Saigas with blocked gas ports

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hole for the "D" mod in the gas block has nothing to do with the rear sight, they are not even close in proximity. The front sight bead on a factory S12 is attached to the top of the gas block and

Posted Images

8) Add a layer or two of duct tape to the flat side of the shelf bracket.

post-14713-1231243360_thumb.jpg

In the next steps you will stand the gun on it barrel on the 2” x 4” scrap placed on the floor and use the shelf bracket with duct tape to remove the gas block. Be prepared to catch the gas tube as it will be loose after tapping the gas block forward about 1/8".

9) Stand the gun on the 2” x 4” scrap place on the floor. VERY IMPORTANT! Insure the barrel thread protector is installed and/or otherwise protect the end of the barrel. (A mouse pad works well.)

10) Insert the shelf bracket with duct tape between the gas tube and barrel with the duct tape protecting the surface in the back of the gas block. The flat side of the shelf bracket should face the gas block.

post-14713-1231243401_thumb.jpg

CONT'D

Edited by JeffD
  • Like 2

The gas block metal is not too hard and is easy to file. Be patient and take your time. I alternated between holding the gas block and moving the file, and holding the file and moving the gas block. After the corners were formed, I switched to a flat file. I do not recommend using a rotary tool or Dremel.

post-14713-1231243915_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1231243955_thumb.jpg

When you are done, the hole in the gas block should look something like this. Make sure both the gas tube and barrel bores are free from any rough edges. IMPORTANT! Ensure you remove any/all metal shaving and any other contaminants from the gas block before attempting reassembly.

CONT'D

• Like 3

Great instructions!

Thanks.

Even "I" can do this.

If I'd have had this BEFORE I sent my S-12 back to RAAM, I wouldn't have sent it back. I'd have just done the mod myself.

If the one they send me back has issues, I won't hesitate to do this myself.

Thanks again - great effort.

• Like 1
Great job laying out that Mod !!! I was wondering about the gas reg plug covering the holes or are you leaving it out a thread. c

Thanks to all for the props! Just trying to help. :victory:

No change to the normal operation of the gas regulator. "All the way in, then out to the first click..." If you have any quesions, use this forum's search feature. There are many topics about normal/proper operation of the gas regulator.

• Like 2
I need to add gas ports ,How hard is the barrel to drill and did you mess the finish up any. Thanks

This mod can be done without harming the finish of the gun. Be careful. Protect the gun where necessary with masking tape, etc. if you feel the need.

Why do you NEED to add gas ports?

Even if you only have a two port gun it should cycle ALL ammo types according to RAAC.

Are the ports unobstructed and clean? If your gun has not yet been converted, check with RAAC about getting it repaired/replaced by them. If you want to repair your own gun, I would consider enlarging your existing gas ports SLIGHTLY before attempting to drill another hole in the barrel. Drilling a hole into the barrel may be difficult to perform for the average Joe sucessfully with hand tools. (Have you ever tried drilling a hole into a cylinder... On a precise angle... In an exact location... Into tuff steel?)

Edited by JeffD
  • Like 2
I have a 20ga with two holes, and one is partially blocked.

I'm thinking about trying this, think it will help?

Increasing gas flow WILL assist with the operation of the gun. Are you having FTE issues? Have you tried both gas settings? Is the gun broken in or still new with a limited number of shots?

Edited by JeffD

I've shot probably 100 rounds of low brass shells. 2 or 3 FTE per mag.

I shot 10 rounds of 2 3/4 buck last night and it functioned perfectly on both 1 and 2 (granted only 1 mag per setting, but thats a first)

I've got a box of 3" fiocchi 4shot, 7/8oz 1500 vel, I'm going to try tomorrow after work.

Just seems like its going to really expensive to get this thing running correctly.

I've started polishing the bolt and hammer. Haven't taken much off the bolt, but it has smoothed out the action some.

But this mod seems like an easy way to make sure the gas system isn't helping to cause the problem.

What do you think?

• Like 1
I've shot probably 100 rounds of low brass shells. 2 or 3 FTE per mag.

I shot 10 rounds of 2 3/4 buck last night and it functioned perfectly on both 1 and 2 (granted only 1 mag per setting, but thats a first)

I've got a box of 3" fiocchi 4shot, 7/8oz 1500 vel, I'm going to try tomorrow after work.

Just seems like its going to really expensive to get this thing running correctly.

I've started polishing the bolt and hammer. Haven't taken much off the bolt, but it has smoothed out the action some.

But this mod seems like an easy way to make sure the gas system isn't helping to cause the problem.

What do you think?

Remove the gas regulator and take a CLOSE look at your gas ports with a good flashlight. Use a paperclip to clean out the ports you can see. If you can only see one port clearly, then this mod will make a big difference in the way your gun functions.

Edited by JeffD

Thanks Jeff. I would like to give a special thanks to jeff. I know him personally and he is a stand up guy. He is the one who actually got me into the saiga 12 and sold me the one I now own. Sorry jeff, but hey, you have more. HaHa. Seriously, jeff Is very knowledgable when it comes to gunsmithing and is an asset to all of us on this site. Thanks for your hardwork and attention to detail. I'll see you this weekend at the range yo.

Stay safe

Just FYI,

I would advise against doing this modification to the 2 port Vodka specials and just send them back to RAAC. I did it to mine and it didn't help at all. The two ports, even when un-blocked just aren't enough to cycle the lighter loads.

I spoke with Clyde at RAAC (great guy BTW) and he informed me that he'll accept any of the unmodified Vodka's for return and ship you a properly ported weapon when they become available. Things get difficult though if you've already converted or modified your gun as you will then need to send it to one of his contracted warranty shops for them to drill some more ports.

I don't know about the other 2-hole specials but mine where drilled so far forward that I'm still concerned about the rifle even if a few more ports are going to be added. I'd almost like the existing ports welded up and the proper ones added in the correct location. Hell, will the Gas regulator even do anything if you have to file into the gas plug area to expose your ports?

Edited by JesseJames