Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:21 PM
Well guys, I finally got around to attempting the gas port and gas block fix. First off, thanks so much for the excellent write up. It helped a lot. Like several of you guys, I had a heck of a time getting the gas block off. The pins weren't that bad, but using a shelf bracket and my ball peen hammer had no effect at all.
When I read through every post, I found a couple nuggets of great info. First off, you need to use a big enough hammer. I went to Home Depot and snagged a 4lb blacksmith hammer. I also ran to the door aisle and grabbed a large brass door hinge. I scavenged the brass hinge pin to use as a drift punch. Worked like a charm.
As for gas ports, I had three holes, and two were partially obstructed. The holes were also tiny...only 1/16 of an inch each. I stepped up to a 3/32" bit, which equates to the .093 I'd read a couple times as being the proper size for 3-hole guns. (I read to use 5/64 for 4-hole guns.)
As for the gas block, I used a 3/8" bit to enlarge both holes. Then I used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the hole for the gas ports.
Reassembly wasn't too bad. I can now clearly see my enlarged gas ports. I'm really eager to see if this cures my FTE problems.
Thanks again for all the advice gents!
Model citizen...Zero discipline