• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#271 JonWienke

JonWienke

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

The gas block metal is not too hard and is easy to file.

That wasn't the case with my Saiga. My gas block is some kind of hardened tool steel; a regular file would barely scratch it. I burned out 2 cobalt drill bits trying to enlarge the hole, and ended up using a 3/8 carbide ball end mill angled forward so the rear of the hole between the barrel and gas piston stayed in the same place. And I had to use diamond files to remove burrs afterward.

#272 Brad737

Brad737

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

Well guys, I finally got around to attempting the gas port and gas block fix. First off, thanks so much for the excellent write up. It helped a lot. Like several of you guys, I had a heck of a time getting the gas block off. The pins weren't that bad, but using a shelf bracket and my ball peen hammer had no effect at all.

When I read through every post, I found a couple nuggets of great info. First off, you need to use a big enough hammer. I went to Home Depot and snagged a 4lb blacksmith hammer. I also ran to the door aisle and grabbed a large brass door hinge. I scavenged the brass hinge pin to use as a drift punch. Worked like a charm.

As for gas ports, I had three holes, and two were partially obstructed. The holes were also tiny...only 1/16 of an inch each. I stepped up to a 3/32" bit, which equates to the .093 I'd read a couple times as being the proper size for 3-hole guns. (I read to use 5/64 for 4-hole guns.)

As for the gas block, I used a 3/8" bit to enlarge both holes. Then I used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the hole for the gas ports.

Reassembly wasn't too bad. I can now clearly see my enlarged gas ports. I'm really eager to see if this cures my FTE problems.

Thanks again for all the advice gents!
Model citizen...Zero discipline

#273 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

Well guys, I finally got around to attempting the gas port and gas block fix. First off, thanks so much for the excellent write up. It helped a lot. Like several of you guys, I had a heck of a time getting the gas block off. The pins weren't that bad, but using a shelf bracket and my ball peen hammer had no effect at all.

When I read through every post, I found a couple nuggets of great info. First off, you need to use a big enough hammer. I went to Home Depot and snagged a 4lb blacksmith hammer. I also ran to the door aisle and grabbed a large brass door hinge. I scavenged the brass hinge pin to use as a drift punch. Worked like a charm.

As for gas ports, I had three holes, and two were partially obstructed. The holes were also tiny...only 1/16 of an inch each. I stepped up to a 3/32" bit, which equates to the .093 I'd read a couple times as being the proper size for 3-hole guns. (I read to use 5/64 for 4-hole guns.)

As for the gas block, I used a 3/8" bit to enlarge both holes. Then I used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the hole for the gas ports.

Reassembly wasn't too bad. I can now clearly see my enlarged gas ports. I'm really eager to see if this cures my FTE problems.

Thanks again for all the advice gents!

3/8"?????

#274 Brad737

Brad737

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Yes. 3/8" on the gas block NOT the gas ports.
Model citizen...Zero discipline

#275 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

If you end up needing more gas, I would suggest adding a 4th hole. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users