I had a 24/7 Pro in .40 for a while, but traded it for a CZ-75B in .40. It was a nice gun, but being a lefty, I needed the right side safety. They're coming out with DS models with decockers and a safety on both sides, and I would have traded up to one of those, but there were never any at the gun shows. :( The polymer frame made it very light, but recoil wasn't bad at all. I give them a thumb's up! :up:

Acer

The PT92/99 are great, never tried the 24/7. A Beretta done the original way (with frame mounted safety/decocker) and much cheaper. Taurus took over the original Beretta factory tooling after the Brazilian army contract for the model 92 was done. Manufacture and function are essentially the same. There is a small size difference in the trigger guard dimensions so yout Taurus may not fit Blackhawk's CQC Serpa holster right. Otherwise it has fit all the standard Beretta holsters I have tried. Magazine capacity is 17+1 and they can be bought from Arizona gun runners under the Mec-Gar brand for reasonable cost. I prefer the frame mounted safety/decocker as it allows me to carry locked and cocked condition one. Accuracy is excellent, ease of maintenance also excellent. Trigger is a bit heavy but can by improved by using a Wolff mainspring with reduced power. The PT99 has adjustable sights that are easy to work with and hold zero well. I own two PT99s, both older pre-rail models (my preference), one in blued steel and one in stainless. Both cost under $300 each at the time. Great gun for the money. Anymore questions please ask.

I had the 24/7 Pro in 9mm but traded it because of the trigger pull. It just didn't work for me. I should have rented one first. I think Taurus makes some great pistols and the 24/7 is a good one. Like any handgun its best to fire one before you buy if possible.

I bought a PT1911 a few months after they first came out. Only put around 1500 rds. through it, with

only 4 FTE, shooting Wolf ammo. It's an accurate and well built pistol. Love the sights and trigger

(though it's a bit sloppy compared to my TRP.) And for only $560, it's a steal.

Edited by B-boo
I bought a PT1911 a few months after they first came out. Only put around 1500 rds. through it, with

only 4 FTE, shooting Wolf ammo. It's an accurate and well built pistol. Love the sights and trigger

(though it's a bit sloppy compared to my TRP.) And for only $560, it's a steal.

I got two, a blued steel standard one with Heinie sights and a stainless railed one with Novak sights. Both are great. The blued one cost $500 and the stainless was $599. Great buys and contrary to the buzz on the net they seem to take standard 1911 parts. Trigger is a bit light for my tastes but quite nice otherwise.

I have a PT1911 and like it a lot. as said earlier the way it is configured it is a steal. I got mine through GunBroker and my only complaint is I'm not nuts about the Heinie single dot sights.

I will play a bit more before I decide to change them or not.

I have a pt99 pre rail and a pt101 stainless with rail. Both are my hunting pistols and have taken a fair amount of game. For kicks I have the pt22 and will be picking up a pt138 within the next few months. Never had any troubles with the taurus line of autos. Was headed out to pick up a taurus 22 revolver the other day but came across a ruger single six at a fair price so went with it instead.

Yeah I think I have my heart set on a stainless PT99!! Lets face it, ever since Mel Gibson tried to shoot down the helicopter with his Beretta in Lethal Weapon every male kid in the western hemisphere has had a hard on for those pistols.

Thanx for the reviews guys!

Edited by Bean.223
Lets face it, ever since Mel Gibson tried to shoot down the helicopter with his Beretta in Lethal Weapon every male kid in the western hemisphere has had a hard on for those pistols.

Ha! :lolol: I fell in love with the 92F ever since I seen that movie. Grew up and figured I needed a real handgun. :P

Now I'm a 1911 owner for life! :super:

Edited by B-boo
Indy 1500 Gun Show today..........GOT IT!!

129038.jpg

:wub: :wub:

Thanx Saigaczech you talked me into it bro!!! :super:

Looks nice!! Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. You will need to look for a holster on your own, I have not seen any for railed Beretta guns and mine have no rails. As I said trigger can be improved with replacement mainspring from Wolff. Some people also remove the firing pin safety to improve the trigger. I tried both and the firing pin safety is not really worth the bother. Keep an eye on your locking block, suggested maintenance interval on those is about 5000 rounds, mine has been in longer without any problems so far. The gun is under lifetime guarantee anyway so no worries while the manufacturer exists. Enjoy your new gun. :D

I did own one of the 24/7 Pro's in .45. Shot great and felt good in the hand. I hated the Heinie sites though. I just couldn't get used to them after so many years of traditional three dot sites. I always had to fire a shot or two at the range before making the mental adjustments to hit my target. NOT something I care to do in a live situation.

I have since "downgraded" to a Ruger LCP in .380 Auto with the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds for concealed carry. A tad more comfortable for CCW than the full sized Taurus was and still capable of reliable put down performance. :rolleyes:

MaineMarshal

• 6 months later...

I bought this last year:

PT1911SS.jpg

and I just got this one today:

PT92AFS.jpg

I don't fall for all the internet fudge about Taurus. I have found that they make a great product at a good price. I have two fine examples of replicas done right. I also have an older Taurus 5-shot revolver in 38 sp. The ol' lady has a PT111 and loves it.

The PT92 I picked up today sat right behind a Beretta 92. I looked at them both. It didn't take long to hand the Beretta back to the salesman. The Taurus was about $100 more reasonable but the selling point for me was the stainless construction and the frame-mounted safety. I don't need a tactical rail but that was my only option today. I wasn't sure how I would like the looks but it does add a unique look to the PT92. The 16 + 1 mags are another great feature.

My PT92 has the AFS designation. What does that stand for? Ambidextrous Floating Safety?

I had a 40cal millennium pro, traded it in on a kahr pm-40. I will say the kahr is more accurate, but it has been sent back to kahr 2 times for repair. The Tauras was accurate enough and never had any problems at half the price.

I don't fall for all the internet fudge about Taurus. I have found that they make a great product at a good price. I have two fine examples of replicas done right. I also have an older Taurus 5-shot revolver in 38 sp. The ol' lady has a PT111 and loves it.

The PT92 I picked up today sat right behind a Beretta 92. I looked at them both. It didn't take long to hand the Beretta back to the salesman. The Taurus was about $100 more reasonable but the selling point for me was the stainless construction and the frame-mounted safety. I don't need a tactical rail but that was my only option today. I wasn't sure how I would like the looks but it does add a unique look to the PT92. The 16 + 1 mags are another great feature.

My PT92 has the AFS designation. What does that stand for? Ambidextrous Floating Safety?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll love the PT92. I love mine. Theres alot of talk about the bad trigger. I found that to be false. Its accurate, nice and beefy but not to heavy. I love it. My fav pistol was my XD, now Im not so sure which I like most. With the rail you wont be able to use most normal Beretta holsters so you'll have to be careful which you buy. Fobus does sell a specific holster for the PT92

AFS?? mine to, no clue...

Edited by Bean.223
With the rail you wont be able to use most normal Beretta holsters so you'll have to be careful which you buy. Fobus does sell a specific holster for the PT92

My dealer carries Uncle Mike's holsters and the Size 5 for Autos... works great for me. If I want to CCW, I have an old Army issue shoulder unit designed for 1911's that works great too.

I know this is an older thread, but I'll chime in...

A very good friend of mine has a PT-99, and I have had plenty of chances to shoot it. I really like it; I can one-hand it very easily and hold a 3 inch group of 10 shots at 20 feet. It handles great. Unfortunately, it is a bit too large to be an effective concealed carry pistol, but if you have a large frame and wear overshirts like I do, it is able to be concealed without any trouble.

I have shot a Millennium, too. It is a decent gun, but it's definitely made for concealability and defense. To those ends, it's a good gun, but it's not a good target shooter, IMO.

My 1st handgun purchase was the PT140 Millenium addition.. Got it in college when I had tight budget.. Its been a great compact 40 cal.. it does have a long trigger pull but its easy to get used to.. Mine still shoots great and works as a nice CC handgun... My buddy has an old model 92 9mm that he never cleans and shoots cheap ammo out of that fires perfect.. A lot of people hate on Taurus but Ive never had any problems and would reccomend these 2 weapons.....

With the rail you wont be able to use most normal Beretta holsters so you'll have to be careful which you buy. Fobus does sell a specific holster for the PT92

My dealer carries Uncle Mike's holsters and the Size 5 for Autos... works great for me. If I want to CCW, I have an old Army issue shoulder unit designed for 1911's that works great too.

Sorry let me clarify, you wont be able to use a Beretta hard kydex type holster because of the Taurus rail :rolleyes: The soft material stuff is good to go as you say!!!

And yes, they are big, so it'll be more of a winter time CCW for me!!!

Edited by Bean.223

I had a PT145 when they first came out. The rear of the slide tips cracked off. (2001) NO joking/no BS after 50 rounds or so.

I then exhanged with the dealer for the forerunner to the XD9 the HS2000 (Croatia). [both were $349 back then too.]

Now its been improved and time tested I just ordered a NIB PT140 Millenium (Cali DoJ approved to boot) for a steal at $289 off GB. :blues:

I didn't want a 9, but a 45. But since I have 40 ammo here already. The .40 made sense. And the price was $40-50 less than most other dealers up on GB. :chris:

I also got FREE 45 layway as my conversion of my new x39 takes priority. All I did was ask and sent $60 in toward the total.

Should have in 4 weeks or less. :smoke: This also will replace my G30 I sold to get my rifle. So I now will have a pistol in the house and for CC again.

post-8775-1248559116.jpg

I loved my PT1911. Put a few Nighthawk custom and parts in her and she ran like a champ but she was too big to carry daily. So I went to the Bersa 45 UC. I kick myself some days when I think about the trade but others when I go IWB I am very thankful I switched.

Now if they would only offer the PT1911 in commander or officer's I would own one again..

Bought my PT99 in Germany - Nelligen gun club- and used it for several years.

I apparently hot-loaded some rounds while stationed at Ft Bliss in the mid 80's

which resulted in the 'ears' snapping off the safety/guide block. I replaced the item with a taurus piece and it did the same...

Bought the Beretta piece which worked for as while then began jamming.

As it turned out when the first ear snapped off it slightly gouged the aluminum rail guide groove.

Sent it to the shop... they sent it to the factory twice -2 different occasions. Still jams now.

Bottom line I ruined a fairly accurate hi-cap 9 by not staying focused while reloading.

I was shooting about 2000rds a month thru 3 handguns while stationed at Bliss say 600+ thru the Taurus.

It was reliable, easy to clean (stainless over aluminum), and probably the easiest/quickest takedown rigs I've ever seen or owned.

WATCH THOSE HOTLOADS

Bought my PT99 in Germany - Nelligen gun club- and used it for several years.

I apparently hot-loaded some rounds while stationed at Ft Bliss in the mid 80's

which resulted in the 'ears' snapping off the safety/guide block. I replaced the item with a Taurus piece and it did the same...

Bought the Beretta piece which worked for a while then began jamming.

As it turned out when the first ear snapped off it slightly gouged the aluminum rail guide groove.

Sent it to the shop... they sent it to the factory twice, 2 different occasions. Still jams now.

Bottom line I ruined a fairly accurate hi-cap 9 by not staying focused while reloading.

I was shooting about 2000rds a month thru 3 handguns while stationed at Bliss say 600+ thru the Taurus.

It was reliable, easy to clean (stainless over aluminum), and probably the easiest/quickest takedown rigs I've ever seen or owned.

WATCH THOSE HOTLOADS

Edited by 82Weissach

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll love the PT92. I love mine. Theres alot of talk about the bad trigger. I found that to be false. Its accurate, nice and beefy but not to heavy. I love it. My fav pistol was my XD, now Im not so sure which I like most. With the rail you wont be able to use most normal Beretta holsters so you'll have to be careful which you buy. Fobus does sell a specific holster for the PT92

AFS?? mine to, no clue...

I have a PT 99 AF. Love it. wouldn't trade it for a Beretta except for the cheaper mags and no mods to put on a laser grip. Cheaper lighter, better safety, better sights. Arguably better made barrel. I have put thousands of rounds through mine, back when I could get them cheap I would go through a few boxes a week. I had my first misfeed a couple of months ago. I was shocked actually. I thought I must need a new magspring from storing it loaded. Then I realized I had neglected to clean my magazine more than about twice in the time I have owned it (6) years +. I cleaned the mag, and no problems since.

AFS stands for Automatic Firing(pin) Safety. ... Taurus introduced a feature that prevents inertia from the gun being dropped or thrown or whatever from moving the firing pin forward unless the trigger is in the full rear position. Apparently the army had a few issues in the 80's with the Beretta so Taurus developed the feature as a selling point. Within the year or two they dropped the designation to AF then altogether. (I might have the sequence out of order , but that is the gist of it) It bugged me too, so I looked it up a few years ago. I had assumed it stood for Aluminum Frame.

Also, I am looking for either the right side safety pin, or a full right side safety lever. I want to modify it and an old style laser grip, but I want to keep at least one original. If anyone knows of a source that has the part in stock, I would appreciate a pm.