Saiga 410 conversion to 45-70

I had this brilliant idea today.

If a fella were to swap out the barrel for a rifled one and make sure everything was capable of handling the pressures I wonder how difficult this would be?

410 pressures are supposedly between 12000 and 20000 CUP and standard 45-70 pressures run near 35,000. we know the AK action can handle 308 and 762x54r pressures so this shouldn't be that hard right?

Magazines might actually work without modification.

If you add a pistol grip conversion and a muzzle break you'd have one helluva hole puncher!!

Edited by Jack A Sol

Yes, I know for sure that it can be done -- I've seen such a conversion in person. Looked weird as heck when the guy loaded up a clip full of paper-patched Black Powder loads and started blowing smoke rings semi-auto fashion. Wouldn't have wanted to do that clean job !!! :ded:

Didn't get to talk to him for too long at the range and ask about the specifics of the conversion -- but apparently he had his own machine shop (home business making obsolite airplane parts, made to order) and it took quite a while to do the conversion and he ran into a few problems on the way but didn't specify exactly what they were.

email from Tony says that the rim on the 4570 is WAAY huge and a bit problematic. the case is also a bit larger in diameter as well. I'm betting there would need to be a larger bolt face and some custom mags designed for this. with the case head being so large it might be better to start with a 20 gauge.

• 11 months later...