Tapco G2 Trigger Recall

Got this email today, just wanted to pass on the information. May want to cross-post this to other threads... mod's discretion, of course.

Feel free to cross-post this on other AK-related forums. I posted on Gunco, a few minutes ago.

TAPCO, Inc. G2 TRIGGER GROUP PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING

We have determined that during the period between October 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008, G2 trigger groups may have contained disconnectors that have a disconnector spring hole that is too deep. Use of these could result in a rifle malfunction and should be checked immediately.

clip_image002.jpg

The correct depth of the hole is between .383 to .420. Any disconnector with a depth of .421 or more should be returned for exchange.

clip_image003.jpg

NOTE: The spring hole has a conical point and the measurement should be made from the shoulder where the spring will rest, not the point of the hole.

Returns should be sent to:

TAPCO G2 Return/Exchange

3615 Kennesaw N. Ind. Pkwy.

Kennesaw, GA 30144

Or, contact your Sales Account Manager for additional information

Thank you,

TAPCO, Inc.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow glad I checked this post I was about to order one.

Also have a simple question how easy is the install for these trigger groups?

You don't have to dremal anything correct?

I saw prices for $30 so figured I could use 3 more complaince parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Tapco had no idea about the problem, until I told them. At least they have the balls to admit it and do something about it.

Most gun companys would just ignore the issue, bury their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

Tony

Tapco had no idea about the problem, until I told them. At least they have the balls to admit it and do something about it.

Most gun companys would just ignore the issue, bury their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

Tony

Tony,

So it goes without saying that all Tromix modified G2 sets don't have this issue, right?

Thank god I didn't cheap out!

• 2 weeks later...

I couple months ago I had a double hook G2 trigger set for a different project that had this problem. It would occasionally double tap. Swapped in a longer, stiffer disconnector spring and it runs fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a Tapco single hook G2 in my Romanina WUM 1 recently, and at the range had 2 double taps, first time the weapon has ever done that. I am going to have to pull the FCG out and check it with the pics above. Thanks for bringing it to their attention Tony.

• 2 months later...
Pulled my FCG out, mine is not one of the ones that was drilled too deep it seems. Must be some other reason it double tapped. I was hoping it was going to be an easy solution.

Are the tails on the hammer springs moving in on the rear of the sear, might be something to check, they shouldn't do that.

• 1 month later...
Pulled my FCG out, mine is not one of the ones that was drilled too deep it seems. Must be some other reason it double tapped. I was hoping it was going to be an easy solution.

Are the tails on the hammer springs moving in on the rear of the sear, might be something to check, they shouldn't do that.

No cycling problems with the FCG's I have installed. Have used Tony's, and vanilla Tapco G2's with my own mods. I did have a Tapco group that "stuck" on the receiver when the trigger was fully retracted. Turns out the the factory trigger aperature was 1/2mm or so off. Removed the trigger group, rounded the front edges of the base of the tapco trigger at the juncture of the trigger group and receiver. No more problems.

WS

No cycling problems with the FCG's I have installed. Have used Tony's, and vanilla Tapco G2's with my own mods. I did have a Tapco group that "stuck" on the receiver when the trigger was fully retracted. Turns out the the factory trigger aperature was 1/2mm or so off. Removed the trigger group, rounded the front edges of the base of the tapco trigger at the juncture of the trigger group and receiver. No more problems.

WS

I have looked it over, and do not see anything wrong with the new FCG. I need to get the rifle out to the range and shoot it some more and see if it was just a fluke. Just have to do it on a day when there are not a lot of people around.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Double tap refers in USPSA/IPSC terms if 2 shots on one target...IE place two hits of each target. More technical is: In the double-tap technique, after the first round is fired, the shooter quickly reacquires the sights for a fast second shot. This skill can be practiced by firing two shots at a time, taking time between the shots to reacquire the sights. With practice, the time between shots grows shorter and shorter until it seems to the observer as if the shooter is just pulling the trigger twice, fast.

Sometimes people refer to douple taps as 2 shots but you only pull the trigger one time, I refer this as doubling.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

To go even more into depth the Army felt that "Double Tap" is too aggressive of a term. "Controlled Pair" is the new designation or MKI as they may call it in the Navy (that was sarcasm...). If that fails to accomplish a downed target and he still poses a threat, the final shot is refered to as a "Safety Drill". This for all intents and purposes is more for doctrine. Two rounds per target and they still move, one of my main motives for the saiga 12...

Edited by romeodelta1124

Does anyohe have an extra tapco trigger they could loan for a few days. I don't need the entire fire controll group, but just the trigger. I am working on a project to make a trigger cover and need to make a mold.

standard or modified G2, doesn't matter on the trigger.

Looks like the Tapco AK-47 single hook is the same, correct? If so, that would work also.

Just trying to avoid removing my trigger again.

Edited by super jim

got my trigger from k-var they didnt sent the disconnector or spring and it barely had a hole on the trigger for the spring and the holes in the trigger for the pin that holds it in were too small. left them an email and they called me and were like well, sorry

• 3 months later...

>>>> think that waltham is actually saying that the weapon bump fired. I have found that with my saig 7.62 sometimes if i am concentrating on front sight and slowly squeeze the g2 trigger lightly with my finger pad that my weapon will bump fire. It is becoming more frequent. I have also realized that i must bring the trigger completely rearward or it will happen. I am not saying that this is all bad but i would rather have the bump when i want it. I am going to have to do some measuring or just get a new trigger as this one has been around the block.

Edited by leadslinger
  • 4 weeks later...

>>>> think that waltham is actually saying that the weapon bump fired. I have found that with my saig 7.62 sometimes if i am concentrating on front sight and slowly squeeze the g2 trigger lightly with my finger pad that my weapon will bump fire. It is becoming more frequent. I have also realized that i must bring the trigger completely rearward or it will happen. I am not saying that this is all bad but i would rather have the bump when i want it. I am going to have to do some measuring or just get a new trigger as this one has been around the block.

Yeah that happend to me this past weekend wasnt expecting it. The range officers glared at me but i found if i pulled trigger completly then reset it didnt happen, but if i floated mid way and reset and i could really start rockin.

• 2 weeks later...

Better get that fixed, read stories of an AR that did that and the gentleman handed the weapon to a friend to check and he got charged with possessing an illegal full automatic weapon and illegal transfer of the same. Even experts(one of which was the owner/CEO of the company that made the weapon), who testified that it was a malfunction he was still convicted and sent to prison.

• 3 months later...

Better get that fixed, read stories of an AR that did that and the gentleman handed the weapon to a friend to check and he got charged with possessing an illegal full automatic weapon and illegal transfer of the same. Even experts(one of which was the owner/CEO of the company that made the weapon), who testified that it was a malfunction he was still convicted and sent to prison.

I did a little research to verify this and found it was mostly true. David Olofson, then National Guard Instructor, was at a range when he lent his AR to a friend. That person moved the selector switch beyond the Semi-Automatic spot on an unmodified, semi-auto only AR and pulled the trigger, which discharged three rounds before jamming. He was convicted of transfering an automatic weapon, though neither was charged with possession or modification of a machine gun. He was sentence to 30 months. His appeal to the Supreme Court was rejected without comment. http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=37

I would recommend anyone avoid any ammunition with a reputation for sensitive primers (brand and type was unspecified in the article) in an AR or any other Semi-Auto weapon with a reputation for hammer follow, which was the case in this incident. Any of you with ARs, do not ever move your selector switch to the third position and, if you had your weapon to someone else, tell them the same. I doubt this would offer legal protection, but it might prevent the cops from being called in the first place.

• 1 month later...

Depends on the weapon's configuration. A weak disconnector spring, or a disconnector that has a very short reset (distance you must release the trigger to get the disconnector to drop the hammer onto the sear) can create doubling that is actually a bump fire. In this case there is always some forward movement of the trigger, typically due to recoil movement of the entire firearm.

You can read the transcript of the trial here. The person convicted owned the AR in question and was reported by the person who used it. In the transcript: "Q. Okay. And I'm sorry, now what did he tell you about the selector switch? First of all, did he indicate to you whether he knew that that was an automatic function? A. Yeah, he told me that the three-round burst wouldn't work and that it would jam up." Oops! The truth can be interesting.

C97