cold blue bare metal before painting?

It's time I got serious about building my reputation for weird questions. :blush:

I'm going to paint the bare metal on the receiver before installing a DIY Tromix trigger guard. I'm worried about rust and corrosion, and I'm not set up to do any serious work like blasting and parkerizing, it's going to have to be basic spray can stuff.

I've got some cold bluing agent already, would it be useful to spend some time with that before I paint over it? Or would the bluing hurt the adhesion of the paint? Maybe some rust-converting primer instead?

I don't have a spray gun, and I can't bake the entire assembly, so what's the best idea to get the most out of spray paint?

Well it is hard to say, I would imagine that the paint is formulated to adhere best to a primer, painted or bare surface; in about that order.

On the other hand cold blue is usually a copper wash/acid mix. So I do not know know, unless someone here has actual experience with painting over cold blue, I would call the paint manufacturer help line. Most brands have one.

Unless you've been using oversize drills (and enlarging holes), that "bare metal" IS parkerizing.

Thanks, that's good to know. I haven't taken off the factory trigger guard yet, but all of the pictures I've seen looked too bright and silver for me to think it was fully park'd.

Unless you've been using oversize drills (and enlarging holes), that "bare metal" IS parkerizing.

Thanks, that's good to know. I haven't taken off the factory trigger guard yet, but all of the pictures I've seen looked too bright and silver for me to think it was fully park'd.

There is no one definite "parkerizing". It appears different from source to source. Different folks add different metals to their solution for different results. A rough surface gets you rough park. A smooth surface gets you smooth park.

I only drill the super huge rivet under the trigger guard area. The rest I shear off with a cold chisel. The roll pins at the rear of the receiver can have their ends rolled up with the same cold chisel and driven out - no drilling needed. If you're careful in your parts removal, you'll not violate the parkerizing and can just throw some b-b-q paint over the top (at a minimum).

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, Csmallstar1239 said:

New to forums so I'll post it here. . . is it possible to blue metal that has paint on it or with it remove the paint?

You'll have to strip to bare metal and degrease before bluing. Bluing is a form of oxidation. You need to get the bluing chemicals in direct contact with the metal.