My .223 Saiga Conversion is finished!!! PICS!

I know it isn't all that exciting to you all that have had yours done for a while, but here is my Saiga, and what was done:

Base Saiga .223: 349.00

K-var conversion grip, stock and trigger: 84.00

Surefire Hi-Cap magazines 4@ 25.00 100.00

Having a Saiga conversion that is 922r compliant and fun to shoot: priceless!

This was a basic conversion, with a single toggle trigger from K-var. I also ported both sides of the handguard, between the metal guides on the inside front/rear, and matched both sides using a turret lathe and carbide bits. Not perfect, but adequate. I still need to polish the cuts to smooth them out a little more, but first I have to squeeze off a few rounds. Purely to test for function. I have ordered the SideScope mount for a red dot scope which should complete the project.

Now that it's done, I sort of wish I had followed my gut and ordered the furniture in an earth-tone or sand. I think the color adds a lot to the look, instead of an all-black version... but as prices are now approaching $400+ for a base model, I will likely hold off for a while.

THanks to all you posters for the info and to all you who are hesitating, DON"T! It's a relatively easy project, aside from that %$*&Dam*&@+& spring in the trigger group... and the end result is worth it!

post-14811-1231542351_thumb.jpg

post-14811-1231542451_thumb.jpg

Very nice job. I'll be converting mine shortly. After mulling things over in my head, I've come up with a method that should solve having to fight with the Bolt Hold Open spring by avoiding removing it in the first place. I posted it in my thread in the Conversion section.

Fact: Allen wrenches make a good temporary substitute for pins.

Fact: They have a hook on one end, and are usually long enough to pass completely through the receiver and engage the holes on the other side.

So once I've got the trigger components out, I just push them all the way through, lock them in, and tape the hook down. Then I finish my grinding work and install the new components.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
Very nice job. I'll be converting mine shortly. After mulling things over in my head, I've come up with a method that should solve having to fight with the Bolt Hold Open spring by avoiding removing it in the first place. I posted it in my thread in the Conversion section.

Fact: Allen wrenches make a good temporary substitute for pins.

Fact: They have a hook on one end, and are usually long enough to pass completely through the receiver and engage the holes on the other side.

So once I've got the trigger components out, I just push them all the way through, lock them in, and tape the hook down. Then I finish my grinding work and install the new components.

That sounds like a primo idea. I sort of wish I had removed it completely, as I am going to have to take it out and grind the crap out of it to keep it out of the trigger housing... it bugs me big time in the new furniture, and I hardly noticed it when it was in rifle form. It seems to be twice the size now, and it HAS to be substantially reduced in size, if not pulled completely. Good luck with yours!

I'm left-handed. Won't bother me as much. A pity they didn't use a bolt lock like the Romak-3 does. It's mounted entirely in the magazine well, so the magazine can engage it after the last round. To manually do it, you just pop the mag, reach in, and pull the bolt back while holding down the button.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
I know it isn't all that exciting to you all that have had yours done for a while, but here is my Saiga, and what was done:

I may not speak for everyone else, but I know I am always excited for anyone who gets a new gun, or gets their gun converted! For that person, it is a feeling of accomplishment and I know that they are wanting to share that with their 'online family'. B)

Looks great to me! :up:

Edited by TR Young

Argh :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss:..... I am going to have to take the plunge.

I guess when I finish my M16A1 (semi auto) retro, I am going to go ahead and get the KVAr kit and do a full PG conversion. Oh well, Someone will probably take my Tapco T6 with SAW grip off my hands ata discount :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you have to get one of the "S" shaped retainer plate thingies when you used the $83 KVAR set? I don't see one in the kit.

Did you have to get one of the "S" shaped retainer plate thingies when you used the $83 KVAR set? I don't see one in the kit.

The kit was 100% complete, except for some allen-head bolts used to retain the pistol grip, and I had to grab a few e-clips for the trigger assembly. I think that's what you are calling the s-shaped retainers, but e-clips are cheap and work just fine. Nothing but an easy trip to a hardware store.

Edited by tooldawg99