I have been on the look for a Saiga 308 for conversion, other than being difficult to find when I do find one they have jumped in price. I have located a new Saiga 308 Ver 21 (thumbhole wood stock). Very nice piece of lead chunker. I noted that the trigger has already been moved forward to accomodate the stock design. What I can't find out (and the dealer won't let me take it apart) is if the relocated FCG is a US product. I intent is to use high capacity mags.

If the FCG is US made, and using the Surefire mags (US manufactured) that should be 6 points and make me compliant.

The question is however is the FCG US made, I hoping someone owning one of these can answer this.

I have been on the look for a Saiga 308 for conversion, other than being difficult to find when I do find one they have jumped in price. I have located a new Saiga 308 Ver 21 (thumbhole wood stock). Very nice piece of lead chunker. I noted that the trigger has already been moved forward to accomodate the stock design. What I can't find out (and the dealer won't let me take it apart) is if the relocated FCG is a US product. I intent is to use high capacity mags.

If the FCG is US made, and using the Surefire mags (US manufactured) that should be 6 points and make me compliant.

The question is however is the FCG US made, I hoping someone owning one of these can answer this.

K... here you go... Info I got from RAAC (raacak@aol.com)...

These are from the 308 Service Manual...

I have been communicating with them about what items CAN be imported...

I was interested in getting a FACTORY Model 32, but....

They indicated they can ONLY import "sporting and hunting style" weapons...

Now the model 21 is shown on their web site, so it could be a factory or a conversion.

I'd get the serial number and see if RAAC can/will let you know if its a factory M21.

Dealer should let you simply pop the cover, pull the spring... then you should be able to tell if the

hammer/trigger group is factory or USA.

Luck

922 compliance. I understand that these have the same FCG as the 223M, which is the rifle that would be having this modification done to it. Again, which FCG replacement is more compatable with this version of rifle?

OK, I got to compliance on my ver21 another way. Can't answer your question however.

If you are not concerned with keeping the factory stock, it is my understanding tht aftermarket stocks for VEPR will work with the 21. Apparently the 21 is pretty much a VEPR reciever. One of these will help your parts count.

But I dig that thumbhole!..haha..Thanks anyway man, I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

version 21 is a newer version of the saiga line. It is not the same reciever as the vepr. Izhmash bought out Molot a couple of years ago and now product a vepr look alike. I beleive the vepr has not been imported for about 2-3 years or more. That is because Izhmash bought out the Molot factory and took 2 years to retool. the RPK heavy duty reciever on the vepr is a thing of the past unless you buy an original vepr. Siaga does not manufacturer the RPK receiver. the version 21 in built on a slant reciever that only the Model 100 has and yes the vepr aftermarket stock will fit on the model 100 or version 21 only. All other models of Saiga have the straight receiver. Unfortunately for owner of the 308 model 100 which is also a newer version Saiga designed a different mag that no one sells, it only ha a 4 round clip and attaches oposite the other clips and cannot be interchange. Saiga did not import many 308 model 100s and therefore did not have a demand for mags. The version 21 takes the normal saiga 308 mags, the model 100 does not. Does anybody no of any other mags that will fit the model 100?