I was at a local gunshow and saw a group advertising tactical training..

http://www.cornerstonetactical.com/

I have never taken a tactical course before because I would have to drive 6 hours to attend one, rent a hotel for at least one day, gas etc... so it would be like $1000 for a 1 day course...

These guys seem to price their courses under $200 and I could commute to it.

Do you think its worth it? or would my money be better spent saving up for a suarez class they teach in dallas?

Also wondering the same thing basically. I'm assuming for someone with no experience in military or law enforcement it would be a good thing to take any kind of tactical firearms course. Anything to be safer and more familiar handling your weapon. The shop I got my S12 from also has a new training center and do indoor classes. They sell to local law enforcement and all the guys there are great guys so I have no doubt the training would be beneficial. Just don't want to sign up for something designed for law enforcement etc.. and show up there being a noob with a saiga 12 :) It's on my list of things to do this year just isn't at the top of the list.

Would love to hear from other "amateurs" on their experience taking local tactical training courses.

Edited by Wotan1105

i dunno, i have to see an example video of what their talking about. it seems more like common sense training for SHTF situations. i would be suspicious of any tactical training course...blackwater and other known training centers have really nice courses, but a price tag to match it.....

I read his bio. Not bad, not over the top or over exagerated. He teaches what he is familiar with. The training he received in the Marines is pretty good training, a I served with quite a few Marines that went through that training, and were not instructors. I learned a lot from them and apply those tactics and knowledge today.

Is it expensive and possibly over inflated just because of a name? No. Does that mean the training is "basic common sense"? No it does not. Can you learn something from one of his courses? Yes, you will learn something from ANY course regardless of cost. You have to start somewhere and why not start off somewhere you can afford before you go breaking the bank.

Having been a Marine instructor, I have more faith in his background than I do a straight LEO.

Wotan 1105: As far as being a "noob" shooter and self consious of being a noob going to a training course. You don't have to be a brand new shooter to be a "noob". Any instructor worth his weight will tell anyone honsetly that they will take virgin shooters any day of the week over someone (like me) that has been shooting a long time. Experienced shooters develop bad habits for various reasons. New shooters do NOT have these, they just have a clean slate and a lack of familiarity. If you have a brain and are licensed to use it, have common sense, can listen and know how to handle a weapon safely, then you should take a course. You will probably learn more and become a better shooter than that "know it all" in the class.

Another thing about being a noob/virgin shooter. You will probably be taken under the wing by any number of the more expedrienced shooters, probably be given more one on one instruction by the instructor, and ultimately learn more. You will be able to identify or see guys that KNOW what they're doing, and go ahead and ask questions. I don't think I have ever met a shooter that is not willing to give some tips, I have only met shooters (experienced ones) that are not willing to take tips or constructive critisism.

Local instructors are not BAD instructors just because they do not have a big name. Big name instructors started as local instructors (duh) before they got their name.

Give it a shot. If you think $200 is a reasonable investment for a two day course, then it is a worthwhile course to take. Even if you only learn one or two things, that is one or two things you did NOT know before the course. It is a starting point, and you have to start somewhere.