ex-KGB Russian Professor predicts demise of USA in 2010.

What he is describing sounds awfully familiar to what happened to the Soviet Union. How vain of him to predict with such detail a duplicate fall for the US. Silly Russian: we will have complete anarchy before we give ourselves over to goddamn Canada and Mexico. :lolol: Honestly, has he ever even met an American??

Based on interactions with most Americans I find a lot of what he says plausible, maybe not by 2010 but soon if the economy keeps going south. I do not agree as to the redistribution of real estate and who will control it but I think the prediction that the US has a 50% or so chance for civil war and fragmentation is pretty decent. Of course that means a 50% or so chance it won't happen either.

But let's face it, Joe Shmoe rarely cares enough about his neighbors to work together with them if things come to push and shove. Generally a "me first" and "everyman for himself" attitude prevails in this country. For example the WalMart stampede this Christmas season that killed a man. And that was just to save some measly money. If lives and welfare of family get involved it will get seriously ugly. I am just waiting for the first crop failures in the mid-west, those will get things really rolling. While people are not openly starving in large numbers we will be OK, but once a significant portion of the population reaches such a condition, watch out.

BTW, on another note, it was recently reported that 20% of the US population is not illiterate. Not functionally illiterate, but illiterate. That will do a lot to slow economic recovery when 1 in 5 in this country can't read.

BTW, on another note, it was recently reported that 20% of the US population is not illiterate. Not functionally illiterate, but illiterate. That will do a lot to slow economic recovery when 1 in 5 in this country can't read.

Where did you get this info? A quick google search yielded 2 sources citing 1 in 7 illiteracy. To me, even that is unbelievable with the exception of perhaps Mexican illegals diluting the literacy rate. Then again, I've never had much experience with the really dirty dirty inner city sections of the U.S.

Where did you get this info? A quick google search yielded 2 sources citing 1 in 7 illiteracy. To me, even that is unbelievable with the exception of perhaps Mexican illegals diluting the literacy rate. Then again, I've never had much experience with the really dirty dirty inner city sections of the U.S.

Saw it on the news, a quick blurb of filler on one of the major programs a couple of day's ago. Wife did do a search to confirm it and it took digging. Highest rates in CA and FL (no surprise there). Next highest were TX and DC (guess all the legislators are keeping the rate down there, lol). I have no doubt the rates are true from a casual inspection of the population at large. I was depressed when in HS I was 99th national percentile and English was my second language. I figure rates could have only gone down since then.

Edited by Saigaczech

Saw it on the news, a quick blurb of filler on one of the major programs a couple of day's ago. Wife did do a search to confirm it and it took digging. Highest rates in CA and FL (no surprise there). Next highest were TX and DC (guess all the legislators are keeping the rate down there, lol). I have no doubt the rates are true from a casual inspection of the population at large. I was depressed when in HS I was 99th national percentile and English was my second language. I figure rates could have only gone down since then.

Average Americans might not be the smartest tools in the shed, but at least we don't re-name streets like the dumb-ass liberal Europeans did (French) to honor a murdering Cop killer (Mumia Abu-Jamal). :rolleyes::angry2:

I am really worried, about this country, we are trying to borrow our way to prosperity. Here is the problem as I see it we have brought a generation of children who think the world owes them something. The work ethic is a quaint old fashioned notion. We as a people forgot how to save. Our education system is in shambles look at the No Child Left Behind act is a complete disaster for our country. Then the money lenders who tried to make a buck and those folks who bought homes they could not afford and planned to sell it or re-finance it later. Ooops the later will never happen because the real estate bubble burst.

Those of us who have modest homes and pay our bills and did not over extend our selves are pissed at the government taking our tax dollars and giving to those who have much larger homes they can't afford. That anger will build and the people who did the right thing will get screwed more and more. I can see real problmes in the future. Those dumb asses who bought homes they can't afford or signed loan papers who did not understand it. Deserve what they get. Sorry I was asked to get into one of those agreements but declined because it was dangerous.

My son started college this week already his professor is trying to liberalize the class. I wish I had taught him a bit about economics I asked him if they discussed any classic theories? He said How? What? This clown is mixing personal finance and basic macro economics and his personal tirades How can he test on that?

See...this is a good discussion. A serious "what if", a refreshing change from "which weapon for zombie invasion" and the other nonsense.

I rember reading somewhere that Texas has written in their state constitution that they have the right to suceed from the union at any time, given the right circumstances. If anyone were to leave the United States, it could be Texas first.

With the economy in shambles and, like someone had mentioned, an everyman for himself mentality in America, things could get ugly fast. If there were a mass evacuation of my area of the country, I'd pack basic necessitities, my guns, and ammo. I don't think I'd hesitate to use force to protect or save my family from strangers if there was a "too many people, too few lifeboats" kinda situation.

If civil unrest turn into civil war, the determining factor may be, which populace is better armed and stocked? America has seen some changes and some shocking things is the last few years. We really don't know what the future holds in store for us. This topic was shut down on two other much bigger forums because I think the topic was too disturbing for them to discuss.