optics and sights on the same gun

I'm setting my gun up for optics. I am installing an Ultimak gas tube optic mount.

I want to be able to use optics and down the road be able to also use HK sights without having the optics interfere with the sights. I've met someone a while back who did this on their gun and I can't remember how they did it. They had an Ultimak gas tube optic mount and some other thing so that the optic didn't interfere with the sights.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or is setting it up for both optics and sights a bad idea? Opinions with supporting rational is welcome.

I'm setting my gun up for optics. I am installing an Ultimak gas tube optic mount.

I want to be able to use optics and down the road be able to also use HK sights without having the optics interfere with the sights. I've met someone a while back who did this on their gun and I can't remember how they did it. They had an Ultimak gas tube optic mount and some other thing so that the optic didn't interfere with the sights.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or is setting it up for both optics and sights a bad idea? Opinions with supporting rational is welcome.

Add me to your list if you get an answer.

I have a similar open thread on the "308 conversion" entry asking for some input or suggestions.

My front Iron sight is in the Scope's field of view... bummer....

• 2 weeks later...

Does Ultimak even make anything that will fit the S12 gas tube? I didn't think they did, but if they do, I want one.

I'm not sure about using stock iron sights, but if the rail obstructs them, you could always go with a similar setup like they sometimes use on flattop ARs, with the fold down sights.

Corbin

Does Ultimak even make anything that will fit the S12 gas tube? I didn't think they did, but if they do, I want one.

I'm not sure about using stock iron sights, but if the rail obstructs them, you could always go with a similar setup like they sometimes use on flattop ARs, with the fold down sights.

Corbin

My gunsmith says he has an Ultimak rail that somehow works with the S-12 gas tube. That's all I know about that at the momment. Once it gets done and have it in my possession I'll know a bit more.

I decided I'm going to use flip up front and rear sights.