Opinions on Saiga 12 22" barrel w/ full choke

I'm thinking that this is the model I want to get (CDNN $219). I've been planning on getting the $269 19" model with threaded barrel so that I can change chokes. But the more I think about it, I'm only going to use it for rabbit hunting and trap shooting, so I figure I want a full choke for the maximum distance. For $50 less I can get that and a slightly longer barrel to help out, plus it comes with ajustable sights just like the 19", and I won't have to spend another $50 on chokes. The only thing it might not have is the bolt hold open feature, but that doesn't matter because I only shoot trap w/ friends and not at any ranges. I thought that I might want to try shooting slugs w/ it, but it looks to be too expensive and I'd rather just shoot my other rifles for that purpose, although I read that you can shoot slugs from a full choke, it just won't be accurate. Is this correct? What is everyone's opinion on this 22" model? Will the full choke only be good for my uses (rabbits and trap)?

Hartzpad,

The 22 inch full choke has an extremely tight pattern. I think with the right ammo you will be able to get some long shots. The adjustable sights are better than the fixed blade and bead especially for wing shooting. You can slug shoot with the 22 inch barrel using Foster type rifled slugs no problem. You might be surprised with the small size of the groups too. The bolt-hold feature is nice but, for hunting it probably is not a necessity.

Happy hunting,

Ronswin

actually, that model sounds like exactly what you need hartzpad. as for slugs down it, i really wouldnt fire any slugs out of anything but a rifled barrel myself, but if you do, you might notice some accruacy problems from the slugs being swaged passing through the choke. never tried the slugs that Ronswim mentioned tho. I know sabots should be fairly accurate out of a full shoke. unless you change your hunting taste to big game, i wouldnt worry about that. a good slug gun is a single shot rifled barrel job IMHO anyway. hundred bucks or so gets you a decent one of those if you ever change up to big game. as for the price of slugs and buckshot, a good retailer/dealer will have deals on them, usually ten bucks for 25 shells. still a bit pricey.

Ya, that is a bit pricy still ($0.40 a shell). My main question is this: Will the 22" barrel with the full choke only give me TOO tight of a pattern for trap? For the rabbits I'm not really concerned because I do have to shoot from longer distances many times, but shooting trap, I would hate to not hit many clay pigeons because I felt like I way trying to hit them with a rifle. But I'm pretty sure that that is not the case with the full choke and that It'll be fine for what I want to do. After all, it still allows the load to spread out, it's not like I'm shooting a rifle.

Well.... I do not think it is tooooo tight! :eek: ...but it's all personal...

I haven't shot trap in about 2 years...

Got my first Saiga-12 with 22" bbl and FULL fixed choke.

All happy I when to the range and tried some SKEET first... Needless to say it was *kinda* hard... :smoke:

Then I figured I'd tray trap since that is what the full choke is for - got 23 out of 25.

Then every instructor and range master there wanted to try it! :super: None of them missed a single one! ...and they loved the gun!!! :wub:

With this choke you can easily get clays ALL the way out there!!!

PS. Now I also own a 19"er with interchangable chokes, but still when I shoot TRAP I take out my 22"er with FULL choke! :rolleyes:

well ive had a gun since i was 5 years old. full choke is your best bet for just about anything except point blank shooting. you want that tight pattern for trap shooting and hunting IMHO...EXTRA-FULL choke is really only used for goose hunting and wild boar. and most boar hunters wont use buckshot, they fire slugs anyway with rifled barrels. im reloading slugs and sabots now for about .15 a round, so that .40 cent a round thing really doesnt affect me. how many rounds of buckshot or slugs do you want to fire reallly anyway? those high brass rounds arent for casual shooters really. they are for shooting big game and people. hunting and traps, long barrel full choke. kid coolio showing off for his friends 19" no choke. then it dont matter, as long as it makes a big BOOM and throws up the dirt. : /

Edited by Bvamp