DUAL SUBJECT?!? And joining the Marines!

Hey guys, I have a few questions that I would appreciate some help with. They just aren't clear to me as this is my first form 1.

in section 1 e, asking the length of my bbl, do I want to give a current measurement or would I put that I want to cut the bbl down to 10 inches?

in section 1 f, asking the overall length, where do I begin and end measuring?

in section 4 h, asking about additional description of numbers and identifying data, do i need to put anything else other than the serial number that was asked in section 1 g?

in section 4 i, asking why I intend to make this fire arm, would it be acceptable to simply say "for home defense."

in section 6 b, asking about Class, what the hell is that about? The class of my employer im presuming seeing as its right after the box asking for my EIN.

Also, like I said before I want to cut my bbl down to ten inches. I found out today I have three gas ports that are angled rearward. Does anyone know weather or not I will have to send my weapon to a smith to add another port or modify the existing ones? Will I have to have the gas block moved? Or is ten inches just long enough to go without gas port mods? I asked similar questions not too long ago but ive been busy lately.........lets just say I refuse to get involved romantically with another woman until after I do my time in the Marines, and also, LOL, I am joining the Marines in a few months!

in section 1 e, asking the length of my bbl,

the length you are cutting it down to.

in section 1 f, asking the overall length, where do I begin and end measuring?

from the end of the barrel to then end of the stock, parallel with the bore. I stand mine up against the wall and measure from the floor.

in section 4 h, asking about additional description of numbers and identifying data, do i need to put anything else other than the serial number that was asked in section 1 g?

I put nothing but the serial number

in section 4 i, asking why I intend to make this fire arm, would it be acceptable to simply say "for home defense."

should work. The last one I did, I put "for any and all legal purposes"

in section 6 b, asking about Class, what the hell is that about? The class of my employer im presuming seeing as its right after the box asking for my EIN.

unless you have a FFL, don't put anything

sorry I can't help on the port question. I've never cut a SAIGA down.

Edited by Banshee
I found out today I have three gas ports that are angled rearward. Does anyone know weather or not I will have to send my weapon to a smith to add another port or modify the existing ones? Will I have to have the gas block moved? Or is ten inches just long enough to go without gas port mods?

Every gun is a little different, but 10" is a little too short for the standard gas tube length. If you open the ports a little it may function OK with higher-power ammo.

Thanks Bob! I would like to send it to somebody who can do it right for all the fine tuning, but for now I would rather just cut my bbl at home and keep it in my closet while I am away. Hell, I could probably have my pops send it to someone while im gone. I figure that when I leave the service, I can always send it off for tuning, regardless of what legislation might pass. The same might not be true for making an SBS. It sucks a little, I might be disabling my saiga by cutting the bbl at home but I wont be around to use it anyway.

Im currently going for Infantry, possibly 0352. I really wanted 0351 but I think that the 352's are doing that job now. It will provide an experience that I can't get anywhere else. I think It will also help me shape up mentally. I dont really care about picking up an MOS that i can use in the civilian world because I plan to go back to college after I serve.

I feel that at 20 years old and with no desire to return to college after going after pharmacy and nursing degrees (its just not what I want to do, hell i have no clue what I want to do yet) that I have lived too comfortable a life and need time to grow up a little before deciding on what degree I want to pursue.

I cook Italian food at a restaurant in downtown Savannah, but the economy isn't allowing me to get the hours in that I used to, I still live at home and I want to stop being a burden to my folks. I want to earn my way through this world. I have also always wanted to serve (my father is the only person who served in either of my parents families and I don't think its fair that he should have been the only one to sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy). I'm convinced that this is the best thing for me to do. I feel like I could benefit from a real ass whoopin'. I think the Marines may be the only place left to get one. I need more discipline, and again the Marines will oblige. I haven't spoke to a recruiter yet, i'm studying my ASVAB book and training at the local gym but its a sure thing this time.

Edited by Azkamidaka
Im currently going for Infantry, possibly 0352. I really wanted 0351 but I think that the 352's are doing that job now. It will provide an experience that I can't get anywhere else. I think It will also help me shape up mentally. I dont really care about picking up an MOS that i can use in the civilian world because I plan to go back to college after I serve.

I feel that at 20 years old and with no desire to return to college after going after pharmacy and nursing degrees (its just not what I want to do, hell i have no clue what I want to do yet) that I have lived too comfortable a life and need time to grow up a little before deciding on what degree I want to pursue.

I felt very much the same way when I joined the Navy at 17. It wasn't a bad decision at all for me. You should keep a couple things in mind though. First, you're joining in VERY turbulent times. A lot can change in 4 years, even during the more stable times. Right now no one can even predict what the world will be like in 4 months. Second, I was the same way in not caring about learning something from the military and intending to go to college after. Seriously, think again. The military offers a mind numbing array of free learning opportunities that civilians will never ever get to enjoy, not even close. If infantry is really what you want to do, go for it, but you really should at least look at the more technical jobs that offer more real-world applicable experience; that is if your ASVAB is good enough. Trust me, in the Marines they will give you action if you want it no matter what MOS you have. I know the idea of making yourself into an invincible murder machine is romantic, and you can still do that, but you may as well be an invincible murder machine that has also been to electronics school that counts towards college credit and looks good on a job application.

Also take advantage of CLEP, DANTES and GRE tests while you're in if you have time. They're free for active duty, but you can still take them after you get out and the VA will reimburse you. Good luck in your decision. Hoo yah!

I havent decided firm on the Infantry, Im really just going to study my ass off and wait to see what I can actually do with my score after I talk to a recruiter. I was originally intending on joining the Navy to be a Battlefield Corpsman when I found out that the Marines dont have medics. My father says the same thing also, that it would be a smart move to do something more technical because of the civilian pay that like jobs offer. I'm really relieved to know that no matter what MOS I pick I'll see some action. I'm currently still researching which MOS's transfer to what types of jobs in civi life, becuase I dont really see how infantry will help me get a job when I get out, I know I dont want to be a cop when I get out. Maybe I will do something more technical. Thank you for the advice and the support White and Janus. I knew I could count on you saiga heads!

Edited by Azkamidaka

SemperFi brother!!

I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps. MOS was 2512 (field wireman). You will make lifelong friends in the Corps.

You'll travel to far and exotic lands,meet new and exciting people,..........then kill them!!! :devil: O00rahhhhhh!!!!

I wish you all the best and above all........BE CAREFUL!!!!

AmericanKenpo

I spent over 4 years as an 0352. Trust me, you DO NOT have to learn an applicable trade in the service to find a job as a civilian. I blew shit up and fired full auto's for over 4 years, partied my butt off in every port of call and did a lot of things that were no nos and got away with them. As a civilian I am now a very experienced System Administrator, where in the service I NEVER touched a PC. The best things about the service for the you is getting all the things out of your system and get paid for it, once you're out you can grow up, buckle down, and make a career choice.

Studying for the ASVAB is over rated. Find a recruiter, take in someone that is prior service (your father) to cut through the BS. The recruiters can give you ASVAB pre tests and see how you place. I took it cold, scored high enough to do anything, and what did I want? Contract 0352! Do something that as a civilian you will not be able to do. Go every place you can, do anything go to whatever schools. In short make the best of it, you only live once.

You sound very much like me when I was 18, heck you sound like every other self aware person that joins the service.

If you ever want to ask questions, just shoot me a PM. I would be more than happy to give you some advice, pointers, or answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

Best of luck and Semper Fi!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I had not seen this thread before - I hope this will be better late than never.

I enlisted into the Marines the day after my 17th birthday. I had scored high on my ASVAB's so I got a "combat program" (no idea what it's called now) contract to ensure I would be the kind of Marine they send when they say "send the Marines!".

I ended up an 0341 and did 4 years in 81mm mortar platoons. Once you can force march with an 81's platoon you'll have stamina that most people have no concept for. Even other Marine grunts will look at you with a mixture of awe and pity.

I finished my tour, went to college on the GI bill and an academic scholarship I picked up, and finished up with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

I've done much more since then but I just thought I'd let you know that your plan is more than attainable. Very good idea on postponing long term relationships too.

Semper Fi!

Edited by MadMax