Preblem with new Surefire mags

I just got two new Surefire 12 mags, they look beautiful, but neither will lock up fully. It appears that the upper rib on the rear of the magazine prevents the mag from seating fully, as it touches the receiver at the rear of the magwell before the tab locks.

Anybody else having this problem?

I'm pretty sure I can fix it with a little dremel/file work, anybody done this successfully yet?

Hi guys.

I suspect fit has more to do with individual shotguns than variances in the mags. I just returned from Dinzag's place and got to try fitting a bunch of different mags he had there (including a couple MD drums). Besides the stock 5 rounder, the 12 shot Surefires were the only ones that fit into my gun without any need for modding.

I noticed that the rib that mates up to the bottom of the receiver isn't parallel to it, but the mag snaps in and is rock solid.

surefire.jpg

I haven't fired it yet, so I can't say how it feeds.

Corbin

Just shot mine, used Federal value pak birdshot. 13 rds locked on a closed bolt, had a little trouble with bolt closing as the top rd had already started to deform by the time I got ready to fire. I am going to pick up a box of the steel 7 1/2 birdshot to fix that problem.

Did a full 13 rd mag dump, no problems whatsoever. It may be that we might have to stick to 2 3/4 inch shells with these mags if all of the reports of 3 inch troubles are real, but I can live with that.

Will try 13 rd dump of 2 3/4 #00 buck next.

Just shot mine, used Federal value pak birdshot.

Will try 13 rd dump of 2 3/4 #00 buck next.

Those are the 2 types of ammo I used today. I first tried the factory 5 rounder with the Federal lights. I tried setting 1 first. All cycled and ejected except the last round, which failed to eject. That last one was from the hip with no solid foundation to recoil against though. Changing to setting 2 and the Surefire mag, not a single stoppage, FTF or FTE. My gun has the 4 hole gas port configuration by the way.

The 00 buck was on setting 1 with a single Federal light load placed in the middle of the mag. Fired from the shoulder on setting 1, all rounds cycled and ejected perfectly. That steel buttplate with 00 buck is an experience though. BOOM, BOOM, bang, BOOM, BOOM!

I just got two new Surefire 12 mags, they look beautiful, but neither will lock up fully. It appears that the upper rib on the rear of the magazine prevents the mag from seating fully, as it touches the receiver at the rear of the magwell before the tab locks.

Anybody else having this problem?

I'm pretty sure I can fix it with a little dremel/file work, anybody done this successfully yet?

I had the same problem with both of my SureFire mags. What I gathered by studying the two was this. The receiver magwell corners are round. The magazine corners are square. All I did was put the front of the mag in place as normal and finesse the back of the mag into the receiver. The metal of the receiver basically shaves off whatever plastic excess is on the mag. Kind of a custom fitted magazine. Rock solid now but I was concerned at first.

OK, I shot 100 rounds through it, mostly Mall Mart cheap stuff. Some slugs and buck shot too, though only 20 rounds. The magazine cycled just fine throughout everything. I had a few FTEs, but that was when I was shooting the light stuff on setting 1. Switching to setting 2 allowed everything to cycle no problem. The only time I was able to make the S12 jam was firing light loads from the hip on gas setting 1. Trying to bumpfire might do the same thing. I'm not sure.

One notable thing that happened with the mag was one of the corners of the uppermost rib broke off at some point. It's on the rear-left side of the mag. I suspect that's because of how close this rib was to the bottom of the receiver and that recoil may have caused it to impact the gun. That's a guess.

magcorner.jpg

On a side note, I got to shoot an AGP mag and the very first shot snapped off the front tab, dropping the mag from the gun. I was told that must have been a fluke though, since the owner (someone well known on this forum) had several other AGP mags with literally thousands of rounds through them with no problem. I think they got that on video. They also got me shooting off the last 6 or 8 rounds of the day through my Surefire mag in a very quick burst. I'm hoping to get a copy of the latter.

Corbin

I had to shave the top rear corners off of my brand new surefire mag, my reciever had more of a curve near the latch than the mags had.

I had to shave off a small amount with my pocket knife, now they lock in nice and solid.

I have 6 Agp 10rd mags, they all work perfect out of the box.

I'll try to do a better video eventually, but here's a short one done by Juggernaut's wife last week when we were out shooting. It was at the end of the day and I only had around 6 or 7 rounds left. Might have been 8, but I'm thinking 7. I loaded them up into the Surefire mag and shot them off as fast as I could. Right around one second to unleash them all.

This was NOT FULL AUTO. I just used a technique to pull the trigger quickly. No gimmicks or trigger add-ons. Just practice. The Surefire mags kept up with the fast cycling bolt (as close to a full auto rate my finger can get).