I am a new owner(3 days) of an S12 . It wasn't until after I bought it that I became aware and confused over all the laws concerning this weapon. I have read and reread the compliant threads and I must say that I am perplexed. Some are very old and some are somewhat new. My question is this, is there someone I can call to talk to about this weapon to find out what I can and can't do and how to make it compliant? I never was a comprehensive reader. Anyone willing to talk about this on the phone?

Thank you,

Jangles

I am a new owner(3 days) of an S12 . It wasn't until after I bought it that I became aware and confused over all the laws concerning this weapon. I have read and reread the compliant threads and I must say that I am perplexed. Some are very old and some are somewhat new. My question is this, is there someone I can call to talk to about this weapon to find out what I can and can't do and how to make it compliant? I never was a comprehensive reader. Anyone willing to talk about this on the phone?

Thank you,

Jangles

If it is still in the orginal configuration, no pistol grip or high capacity magazine, then it should be compliant.

This section at Dinzagarms.com lays it out quite well.

First off I thank you for your speedy reply. Second, I read all that and am still confused. My S12 is straight from the box and like everyone else I would like to have a pistol grip and hi cap mags, but for now I will just be enjoying it as from the box. It has a 5 round mag with it. You say it is compliant this way? Thank you again.

Jangles

It is legal out of the box with it's Monte Carlo stock and 5 round mag. If you want to plug in a higher capacity mag, or if you want to add a pistol grip, then you must swap out enough of the original Russian components with US-made components. The easiest component is the gas piston or 'puck' for 1 compliant part. A US-made butt stock will give you another compliant part. Then comes a new fire control group, or FCG. The FCG will give you 3 compliant parts.

Check out this link. It has a checklist that is already populated. All you have to do is uncheck the parts, and the compliance part at the bottom will count down and when you have reached compliant status, it will say so. As a bonus, since your Saiga DID NOT come with a pistol grip, you can remove that check mark immediately.

Edited by TR Young
It is legal out of the box with it's Monte Carlo stock and 5 round mag. If you want to plug in a higher capacity mag, or if you want to add a pistol grip, then you must swap out enough of the original Russian components with US-made components. The easiest component is the gas piston or 'puck' for 1 compliant part. A US-made butt stock will give you another compliant part. Then comes a new fire control group, or FCG. The FCG will give you 3 compliant parts.

Check out this link. It has a checklist that is already populated. All you have to do is uncheck the parts, and the compliance part at the bottom will count down and when you have reached compliant status, it will say so. As a bonus, since your Saiga DID NOT come with a pistol grip, you can remove that check mark immediately.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was reading some other articles and here is what I came up with. If I put a Tapco telescpoing buttstock(1par)t with pistol grip, a Polychoke(1part) on the mizzle and use a AGP 10round mag(3 parts) I should be compliant. Am I reading this right?

TIA

Jangles

Thanks for clearing that up. I was reading some other articles and here is what I came up with. If I put a Tapco telescpoing buttstock(1par)t with pistol grip, a Polychoke(1part) on the mizzle and use a AGP 10round mag(3 parts) I should be compliant. Am I reading this right?

TIA

Jangles

To be honest, I'm not 100% clear on the PolyChoke. Removing the PolyChoke from your equation and adding in the gas piston, you would be compliant at that point.

As a personal preference, I don't like to count on a mag to get me to the compliant mark, but if you want to that is certainly your prerogative.

TIA

Jangles

To be honest, I'm not 100% clear on the PolyChoke. Removing the PolyChoke from your equation and adding in the gas piston, you would be compliant at that point.

As a personal preference, I don't like to count on a mag to get me to the compliant mark, but if you want to that is certainly your prerogative.

I read elsewhere that the IZ-109 has only 14 parts as listed by the BATF for 922® compliance. This form would suggest 15, after unchecking the pistol-grip. Which *other* part on that checklist does not apply to the IZ-109?