Mag pouches for Saiga-12?

I have a question, as far as home defense goes, do you plan on just walking around your house all of the time with your vest on? If not, then when are you going to find the time to suit up Rambo style during a home defense situation?

Not bashing, just sitting here in awe at the guys who would grab their S-12, suit up in a tacti-cool vest, and start fighting off intruders. That's pretty awesome! Me, I'm just lazy, if someone breaks in, I just grab the Colt and shoot 'em... :angel:

I'll second the idea that no one is championing the idea of wearing tac-vests for home defense. Although donning body armor, if you have time (dogs, alarms, a big house?) certainly won't hurt.

Yes, the reality of simply showing up with a gun with even just one round in it will end 90%+ of any self defense/home invasion. Crime by it's nature is an opportunistic path-of-least-resistance endeavor, and more often than not, a pissed off victim with a gun is more than enough to end things right quick.

However, if you're old enough to remember the 1960's, or the L.A. Rodney King riots, you know damn well "It can't happen here." is so much worthless air, because it can.

As long as you're saving it for a class, or SHTF, there's nothing Walter Mitty about owning a vest or web gear. Because you'll feel pretty stupid if SHTF, and you're carrying around extra ammo in a plastic grocery bag.

• Like 1

I have a question, as far as home defense goes, do you plan on just walking around your house all of the time with your vest on? If not, then when are you going to find the time to suit up Rambo style during a home defense situation?

Not bashing, just sitting here in awe at the guys who would grab their S-12, suit up in a tacti-cool vest, and start fighting off intruders. That's pretty awesome! Me, I'm just lazy, if someone breaks in, I just grab the Colt and shoot 'em... :angel:

I'll second the idea that no one is championing the idea of wearing tac-vests for home defense. Although donning body armor, if you have time (dogs, alarms, a big house?) certainly won't hurt.

Yes, the reality of simply showing up with a gun with even just one round in it will end 90%+ of any self defense/home invasion. Crime by it's nature is an opportunistic path-of-least-resistance endeavor, and more often than not, a pissed off victim with a gun is more than enough to end things right quick.

However, if you're old enough to remember the 1960's, or the L.A. Rodney King riots, you know damn well "It can't happen here." is so much worthless air, because it can.

As long as you're saving it for a class, or SHTF, there's nothing Walter Mitty about owning a vest or web gear. Because you'll feel pretty stupid if SHTF, and you're carrying around extra ammo in a plastic grocery bag.

Um, I use PAPER grocery bags, thank you very little... :lolol:

I thought about a MOLLE set up on my

plate carrier....but that's were my AR mags

are.

So I went with Copes "msg bag" set up.

I can carry 2 of them (one one each side).

The one Jpanzer is showing......

Edited by FORKLIFT352

SPLAV also makes pouches for S12 mags, you can find these at Kalinka or RusMilitary.

I recently bought SURPAT SVD pouches from Survival Corps in Russia, shipping wasn't cheap but the pouches are so it balanced out. They are a joint US-Russian venture oriented around the SURPAT camo pattern and associated gear, the quality of the pouches I have is nice.

Z

Thanks for adding to the list. The ones on Kalinka look pretty decent, but don't think they'd fit the 10-rds, just the 8's? They're described as "uniclicks." Implies to me that they don't have an velcro flap, which might expand for larger mags. Anybody have one for comment? Good prices. They have a nice selection of pouches for .410 and 20's, too.

Haven't seen this pattern before. It's on their AK and RPK pouches. Is this a Russian jungle pattern? Reminds me a little of German Flectar (sp?).

post-10312-0-94343100-1306937632_thumb.jpg

That pattern is Russian Digital, also called DigiFlora or Digital Flora. I think Kalinka calls it jungle for some reason, I remember seeing that pouch or something similar that I thought sounded kind of odd.

blog3.jpg

http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/00256.php

Speaking of flectarn, they do have a pattern called Izlom that's definitely based on the German stuff

jpg.jpg

And Flectarn-D

2624924576_59089d5895.jpg

There might be another, can't recall.

The uniclick has no velcro but the fastener is really cool. It's quick, quiet and stays put. I'm thinking they aren't going to hold 10 rounders though, the SVD pouches I have are uniclick but don't have a lot of give or excess room, they're pretty much sized for SVD mags and that's it. I'd bet the same for the 8 round mag pouches. The photo you linked to looks like one of the modern RPK pouches, someone said those will fit AGP mags but I don't know that for a fact.

I will probably be ordering another round of gear from SRVV and might get one of the S12 8 rounders they make for comparison. The SVD pouches are great stuff and I suspect the rest of their gear is also.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

The Izlom camo is nice, and better tham the Flectarn for the woods I bowhunt in. Will have to take a 2nd look.

Thanks for those pics. Glad I'm not that guy clearing mines, btw. His armor will at least leave his torso intact! What a job!!

Can't wait to see any review you have for the 8-rd SRVV pouch, if you get some. I was a little concerned about the quality of the material, but the MOLLE straps in the back seem very good. As you mentioned, they're pretty inexpensive, but worth it.

I know you said s/h wasn't cheap from Russia, but was it less than the pouches, at least? Most of the good US-made ones I listed in post #26 were in the $20-$30 range, plus a few $ for s/h.

Yes, that was a newer RPK pouch. Just copied it to show the pattern, but you're right, that could also be an option for an s12 10-rd. That's assuming they're the same size as the old surplus RPK shoulder pouch. Be great if some of the mag body was exposed. Pulling a 10 out of those old pouches is anything but fast.

Shipping was around $30 for about $50 worth of gear...4 SVD pouches. I think it will be somewhat higher if the KG shipping weight goes up. You also have the option for EMS shipping www.emspost.ru (7-10 days) or by Russian standard post www.russianpost.ru (20-30 days). Russian standard is cheaper but I can't find my invoice to see which method I used.

Material is good on the SRVV pouches but I'm not terribly excited about the Molle straps. I think the snap can come loose but that's nothing that a substitute malice clip can't fix, you can tuck the integral molle away and run the malice over it just fine. I would try some of their AK mag pouches but after using the Taco's for a year and a half I find it hard to imagine I'll end up using anything else for AK's. SVD mags are a different story though and so far I really like the SRVV pouches.

I think I will actually get a couple S12 mag pouches to test, I don't think I'll use them on the MAV I'll probably stick them on the outside of my carry bag's molle for easy access.

SRVV Surpat:

(SPLAV in OD)

SRVV-SPLAV-SVD01.JPG

SRVV-SPLAV-SVD02.jpg

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

post-15573-0-43381900-1307898177_thumb.jpgpost-15573-0-49090400-1307898256_thumb.jpgI've got the Condor triple mag pouches w/flaps on my vest. These work well with mag tops down. I have little trouble pulling mags, even in a hurry.

Modifications -

If you cut out the divider, they work well with two 5rndrs in each pocket and maybe a bit of padding/extra rnds in the bottom depending on how far out of the pouch you want your mags sticking out.

I added a bit to the velcro and "triangled" the tips(for a pull) to make them work with my Surefire 8s as well.

On another set, I ripped out the stitching in the bottoms and added three sides and a bottom to make them fit my AGP 10s. This set is now on an old canvas shoulder strap for "grab-n-go".

Personally, my PT145 is my goto HD gun. But if I feel a greater level of response may be necessary, my S12 with a 12rnd drum(as a starter mag) and the six 10rnd mags in the grab-n-go are next on my list. The tac-vest is mostly for SHtF/TEOTWAWKI and is set up to run either the S12 mags or X39s. Though I do wear it hunting or working/shooting in the woods just to stay used to it.

The great thing about the Molle vest vs regular tac-vest is that you can load or strip it according to the task. Right now mine hangs in the closet set up for a full on Zombie Outbreak. Not so much so when I wear it hunting. Don't wanna scare the locals and get shot as a Fed, lol.

I'm planning to get a smaller Level IIIA plate carrier w/molle on it for HD/etc, that can be stripped and worn under a shirt/vest if needed. Something with my .45 and mags on it hanging in the safe, next to the bed at night. :angel:

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

I recently (accidentally) bought a condor soft case and was pleased to find that their large loch fits a 20rd drum and the smaller pouch fit 3 factory 5rd ers nicely. I will see how a 10rd mag fits when they arrive, but based off my rudimentary measurements they should fit close to perfectly. Most importantly is if I am off by a cm or 2 their closures are Velcro so I have room for error. Mine are attached to my range bag because I left behind law enforcement about 2 years ago, and the army before that, so I have no need to be tacticool. Just telling what works for me here. They are molle friendly if that's your taste also.

I recently (accidentally) bought a condor soft case and was pleased to find that their large loch fits a 20rd drum and the smaller pouch fit 3 factory 5rd ers nicely. I will see how a 10rd mag fits when they arrive, but based off my rudimentary measurements they should fit close to perfectly. Most importantly is if I am off by a cm or 2 their closures are Velcro so I have room for error. Mine are attached to my range bag because I left behind law enforcement about 2 years ago, and the army before that, so I have no need to be tacticool. Just telling what works for me here. They are molle friendly if that's your taste also.

I'm looking for pouches for my SGM 8rd mags, was looking into Condor pouches too please pics when you can. Is your pouch the same size as their pouches on their chest rigs post-32592-0-69337300-1307923306_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big June

Big June,

1st. Gotta know. Your pic. GWAR fan?

2nd. What have you found to fit 8rd s12 mags from Condor? I researched them (post #26), having seen their stuff at my favorite surplus store, and didn't get much. They barely responded, actually, which didn't inspire confidence. Thanks.

1) Hell yeah I'm a GWAR fan who can't be especially live but it's pic of a RAIDER fan at the game, I'm a DIE HARD RAIDER FAN (2) Just got 8rd mags from CSS fri. just looked at Condor cuz of price seen good reviews on YouTube, we got gun shows here in Vegas like every 2 months will hit all vendors selling pouches & vests at next one

This? Condor Tactical 36-inch MOLLE Compatible Soft Rifle Case Black. If so that would be handy for multigun.

The case is a 42" double rifle case. I got it because the store owner ordered me a hard case that didnt show up so he gave me this at cost to make up for it.

The pouch on the left holds 3 loaded factory 5ers, the one in the middle holds a 20rd drum perfectly, and the one on the left will hold 3 10 rounders perfectly. My 10ers are on the way from CSS so they should arrive yesterday as do all my orders from them.The case is like $89 i think but you get 3 removable pouches that will hold everything for the Saiga, a double case (that has a small space on the front that holds my PLR16 so it is essentially a triple case) and all pouches are adjustable and removable with double closures consisting of velcro and snaps. Pretty sweet deal all in all.

post-31605-0-19238000-1308103585_thumb.jpg

The case is a 42" double rifle case. I got it because the store owner ordered me a hard case that didnt show up so he gave me this at cost to make up for it.

The pouch on the left holds 3 loaded factory 5ers, the one in the middle holds a 20rd drum perfectly, and the one on the left will hold 3 10 rounders perfectly. My 10ers are on the way from CSS so they should arrive yesterday as do all my orders from them.The case is like $89 i think but you get 3 removable pouches that will hold everything for the Saiga, a double case (that has a small space on the front that holds my PLR16 so it is essentially a triple case) and all pouches are adjustable and removable with double closures consisting of velcro and snaps. Pretty sweet deal all in all.

A double case! Even better. I see one in my future in a lighter color.

They have coyote (desert beige, tan, etc....) and a sweet O.D. Green, unfortunately the green were out when I got mine. I am happy with it for sure considering it holds my Saiga, AR, and Keltec all 17 of my magazines, and a ton of ammo without overloading it for a range trip. It's limit seems to be how strong you are.

Big June,

Please let us know what you can find from condor for the bigger mags. Most makers have something for the 5rd mags, as .308 pouches for G3s, FALs, M14s, etc. fit those. I'll be surprised to see something from them for the 8+'s.

I understand the cost issue, trust me. I'm surprised I haven't made one out of duck tape yet for myself. But, many of the smaller custom makers aren't as expensive as you'd think, and you get pouches specifically for the s12. Most are in the $20-$30 range, and they're very good quality. Let me know if you want, I'll pm you a list of prices and websites for the makers I found. I'm not connected to any of them, btw, just like supporting smaller businesses who care about saiga owners. I can't post them publicly b/c none are business members.

Steveb327,

I have pouches from condor that fot 5rd, 10rd clips, and a 20rd drum. I assume the price will be contingent where you get them from. I will see if the guy I got my case from can get me prices on the pouches and available colors.

Are these separate MOLLE/ALICE pouches, or the ones that are part of the rifle case you mentioned earlier? If the former, can u post pics, particularly of the 10rd pouches? The 5s and drums should be their .308 and SAW pouches, I'd think. A little review of the good and bad would be helpful, too. Thanks.

Edited by steveb327

The ones on the case are removable and usable on a MOLLE type setup. They are attached through MOLLE style webbing on the case and removable. With the 10rd case I can Velcro it shut but not use the clip as a secondary closure.

Review is as follows-

The case for the price I would give a 8.5

It has an absolute excess of storage space. The 3 MOLLE style cases mentioned which can be removed and used elsewhere or just left off based on your taste. The pouches have 3 different forms of closure which impressed me. There is a plastic clip, very sturdy velcro, and a draw string with tension holding clasp. The oversized flat front compartment is nice for targets, ammo, mags,or any type of flatter items and is big enough to hold several pistols or a AR pistol type weapon with room to spare. The main compartment also has triple security features if you choose to use them. The handles close together with heavy duty type Velcro, then the zipper, then 2 more plastic clips which you can add tension to make more compact. The inside main compartment has 2 spaces for weapons with cushion pads for the barrel and but stocks of the weapons and thigh webbing with heavy duty Velcro to hold them in place, and a cushioned divider in between the rifle spaces. The back of the case has 2 backpack style shoulder straps for an alternate carry method for long carries tomkeep arm fatigue down. The shoulder straps are thick padded for comfort but are also removable if you choose. There is MOLLE style webbing on the back if you choose to add more mag pouches and remover backpack carry straps.

The only drawback I see is the price being a turn off in the $80 range. Most people don't want to spend that even for a double case. For what it offers I am more than happy to pay that and if my collection keeps growing I will pay it again. Saw the replacement pouches online in the mid teens for price which is an awesome price.

The worst thing I have had to do is keep myself from overloading it with all kinds of stuff just because it can carry it. A loaded 20rd drum, 2 loaded 10 rounders, 3 loaded 5 rounders, my tricked Saiga, spare ammo, my AR15 with 6 mags loaded with 30 rounds apiece plus spare ammo and my Keltec PLR16 with it's 3 dedicated mags and ammo and it weighed a ton, but amazingly it all fit and didn't look bulky or overloaded at all. Sitting on the floor it looked empty.

The 8.5 is because of small things that could be improved. I would like to see the middle divider to have some solid support in it to give rigid support to the cases center area which is it's only "flimsy" area. Also I would like the bottom to have a solid surface in it to keep it from drooping under weight. I realize this is a soft case and it is amazing for that but adding a little plastic and being a "hybrid" would make it an absolute 11 in my book.

The pouches themselves seem of good quality construction. As mentioned above have 3 different security options which is great to me. Holding 3 factory 5 rounders is a great capability. I have more coming from R&R due to their almost guaranteed SHTF reliability and having storage for them is great.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...