Are magazines with a >10 round capacity right out illegal in NY?

How can I get one since a lot of websites refuse to ship them to NY if they are legal?

No, they're not outright illegal.

But they do have to be pre-ban. As in, manufactured before Sept. 14, 1994 (the start date of the federal Clinton ban, which is still in effect for NY).

With AK mags, pre-bans are somewhat plentiful. Same with AR's, Uzi's, Sten's, etc.

If it's a pre-ban magazine, it can be any size. You can have a 100 round AK drum, if it's pre-ban, and you don't mind paying top dollar for it (I wish I jumped on the $170 Chinese AK drums before the price jumped :ded: ).

You should try some auction sites, or "For Sale" sections of forums, to have the best chance of getting some, and not having to worry about companies not shipping to NY (eventhough they're legal here, a lot of companies cover their ass, and won't ship).

I would recommend Arfcom's "Equipment Exchange". They have an entire section devoted to AK parts and mags.

Check here for more info on NY's ban: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=26422

there still is bunch of sites who will sell pre-ban mags to NYS residents. 44mags.com will sell you any mag you want as a parts kit. This is completely legal to do. You can use any parts of post-ban mag as replacement which is also legal under ATF regulations. But you should keep the damaged/broken pre-ban part as a proof if you are asked later on.

there still is bunch of sites who will sell pre-ban mags to NYS residents. 44mags.com will sell you any mag you want as a parts kit. This is completely legal to do. You can use any parts of post-ban mag as replacement which is also legal under ATF regulations. But you should keep the damaged/broken pre-ban part as a proof if you are asked later on.

There was a huge debate in Arfcom's NY Hometown forum about this. NY's ban, eventhough it's pretty much a mirror of the old federal ban, doesn't specify if this is legal or not.

99% of the repliers in those threads recommended not doing this (quite a few LEO's and a couple lawyers). Simple possession of a post-ban 10+ round magazine is a felony in NY. And being that a mag body is what is considered the mag itself (by most), even a "rebuild kit" as they state, is even illegal.

Some would argue some points, but personally, I'd just stick with the pre-bans and call it good. I mean, going by the federal ban, you still needed 1 unusable pre-ban mag per 1 post-ban anyway. So you'd still have to get your hands on some pre-bans.

Tread carefully and cover your ass.

Just my .02.

By the way, if we're talking specifically about AK mags................

I emailed Copes to verify that they actually do ship pre-bans to NY, and they just replied and said they do. I've been wanting some 20 round Hungarians for quite some time now, and they have them a decent price. They also have Hungarian 30's.

So I just put my order in for 5 of each :super: .

Hungarian 30 rounders (pre-ban of course)

Hungaria 20 rounders (also pre-ban)

Order up!

Hollowpoint.... Where in NY are you located? If in the Syracuse area, I can tell you about some local shops that have them in stock all the time.

:smoke:

I know this was directed at hollowpoint but im kinda curious to know also.

Hollowpoint.... Where in NY are you located? If in the Syracuse area, I can tell you about some local shops that have them in stock all the time.

I'm near Peekskill... right across the river from West Point and not too far from Indian Point. I'm in Putnam County.

so I need to convert it to AK mags in order to get around the pre-ban law?

Edited by HollowPoint

Indy, I'm interested as well. I get up to the Syracuse area on occasion. Never hurts to have more options for pre-bans.

I'm near Peekskill... right across the river from West Point and not too far from Indian Point. I'm in Putnam County.

There is no way around the pre-ban law in NY. Converting your Saiga to accept regular AK mags does make you need to adhere to 922r (if they're over 10 rounds anyway), which is a federal thing.

Indy, I'm interested as well. I get up to the Syracuse area on occasion. Never hurts to have more options for pre-bans.

There is no way around the pre-ban law in NY. Converting your Saiga to accept regular AK mags does make you need to adhere to 922r (if they're over 10 rounds anyway), which is a federal thing.

sorry, I didn't make myself clear...

so in order to use hi cap mags, I need to convert it to take AK mags?

All you need to do is put in a bullet guide and file down part of the latch that holds the mag in, right?

All you need to do is put in a bullet guide and file down part of the latch that holds the mag in, right?

Yes.

When adding a 10+ round mag, 922r comes into play, and you need to keep an eye on how many foreign parts are in your Saiga. This is a federal thing, and has nothing to do with our ban in NY.

Check the 922r section to see what parts count and can be swapped out to be compliant.

Yes.

When adding a 10+ round mag, 922r comes into play, and you need to keep an eye on how many foreign parts are in your Saiga. This is a federal thing, and has nothing to do with our ban in NY.

Check the 922r section to see what parts count and can be swapped out to be compliant.

k, thanks... I was looking at possibly a foregrip (1 922 part) and a trigger assembly( (3 I believe it said). Then I should be set.

There was a huge debate in Arfcom's NY Hometown forum about this. NY's ban, eventhough it's pretty much a mirror of the old federal ban, doesn't specify if this is legal or not.

99% of the repliers in those threads recommended not doing this (quite a few LEO's and a couple lawyers). Simple possession of a post-ban 10+ round magazine is a felony in NY. And being that a mag body is what is considered the mag itself (by most), even a "rebuild kit" as they state, is even illegal.

Some would argue some points, but personally, I'd just stick with the pre-bans and call it good. I mean, going by the federal ban, you still needed 1 unusable pre-ban mag per 1 post-ban anyway. So you'd still have to get your hands on some pre-bans.

Just my .02.

As you pointed out, the NYS doesnt override the federal regulation on magazine replacement parts nor confirms it.

There is no argument, want to play safe - buy pre-ban. There is plenty of those around.

The Cope's. Yeah, you just reminded me. Few days ago got a tip about their "rusty" mags. By the time I got home they all were sold :( People were buying them in dozens.

AHhhhhh, this state's AWB sucks. I wonder what the double-ban will be like? Wouldn't it be considerate if they would repeal the current NYS ban before the federal one goes into effect?

haha, I WISH!

but theres a fat chance that that will happen with this neo-liberal bs surrounding this entire state.

I emailed Copes to verify that they actually do ship pre-bans to NY, and they just replied and said they do. I've been wanting some 20 round Hungarians for quite some time now, and they have them a decent price. They also have Hungarian 30's.

Order up!

I still prefer the hungarian 20 rounders over 30's, even though Ive left NY. great mag, 1970-80's production. beware eastern bloc mags that you can get out there, not all are preban, and someone knowledgeable in this stuff can identify them.

k, thanks... I was looking at possibly a foregrip (1 922 part) and a trigger assembly( (3 I believe it said). Then I should be set.

Yup. With a standard x39 Saiga, you only need to replace 4 "counted" parts, for US made ones.

Just my .02.

As you pointed out, the NYS doesnt override the federal regulation on magazine replacement parts nor confirms it.

There is no argument, want to play safe - buy pre-ban. There is plenty of those around.

The Cope's. Yeah, you just reminded me. Few days ago got a tip about their "rusty" mags. By the time I got home they all were sold :( People were buying them in dozens.

Yeah, that's what pisses me off. If they would just make things clear and in black & white, we would have no problems with knowing what is legal or not. The ambiguity of it is annoying.

I heard about the "rusty mags". Weren't they going for like $6 a piece?!? I know they sold out in less than a day, everytime they put them up. People were ordering 25+ in each order!

Order up!

I still prefer the hungarian 20 rounders over 30's, even though Ive left NY. great mag, 1970-80's production. beware eastern bloc mags that you can get out there, not all are preban, and someone knowledgeable in this stuff can identify them.

I've been wanting the 20's for a long time, but haven't jumped on any. I figure there's no better time than the present.

In the email I got from Copes, they said they were pre-ban. Not that it's a guarantee, but we'll see.

Ok...

Tim's Guns / Camillus Gun and Bait

On the corner of Halfway road and Route 5 in Elbridge. ( mapquest it) They have TONS of guns/mags/ammo in stock. Prices are higher than online... but only a LITTLE BIT more so after you figure shipping and time waiting...

I will buy some things from them now and then... but then I have enough mags... and after paying like 3 bucks each for mags, I refuse to pay more than about 5...

Ok...

Tim's Guns / Camillus Gun and Bait

On the corner of Halfway road and Route 5 in Elbridge. ( mapquest it) They have TONS of guns/mags/ammo in stock. Prices are higher than online... but only a LITTLE BIT more so after you figure shipping and time waiting...

I will buy some things from them now and then... but then I have enough mags... and after paying like 3 bucks each for mags, I refuse to pay more than about 5...

Thanks man. I'll have to check them out next time I'm up that way.

Got my mags on Tuesday, and they're much nicer than the pics or description show on Copes page. :super:

On friday got mine 4 mags. 3 are like new and the fourth was refinished. 13.99 each, the best deal for pre-ban mags

I agree. Especially with the price of things lately.