Need Pistol Grip cutout Pics

Can someone post a picture or 2 of the pistol grip cutout area? I need to make the cut but don't have a clue on where to make the cut or the size. Thank you!

This diagram is from another post in the forum. I got a copy at dinzag's web site...

Hope it helps...

I looked at Danzigs drawing and also a conversion with pics, Danzigs drawing shows it to be at the front of the 1/4 inch slot, but the other conversion is showing it in the middle of the 1/4" slot, which is right? Is there a measurement from the back of the receiver that is accurate? To me this seems to be the most important cut considering you can screw it up easily. Any other ideas from people that have completed this?

I looked at Danzigs drawing and also a conversion with pics, Danzigs drawing shows it to be at the front of the 1/4 inch slot, but the other conversion is showing it in the middle of the 1/4" slot, which is right? Is there a measurement from the back of the receiver that is accurate? To me this seems to be the most important cut considering you can screw it up easily. Any other ideas from people that have completed this?

I agree... I used the measurements from the diagram as my quide.

Mine measured out as partially in front of the old trigger slot and overlapped it some.

I cut based on the measurements and then tried my nut and PG mounting.

I ended up "elongating" my PG nut hole further into the old trigger slot (toward the rear).

The WIDTH is critical in my opinion. the PG nut can slide forward or rearward a little.

I was then able to move my PG up firm against the re-mounted trigger guard (I used the factory guard modified and reinstalled).

Well, I just sat my PG on the receiver where I wanted it and eyeballed where center would be, and started filing. It fits fine, and holds the trigger guard in just fine. Don't sweat it man.

MS Paint pic forthcoming.

Acer

ETA pic.

post-7071-1232077102_thumb.jpg

Edited by acer_saiga308

Bwahahaha, I hope you're talking to Capt. Louie and not me. I just sketched that out in Paint in like 3 seconds to give you an idea of the ratio front to back in the old trigger hole. Looking closer, I didn't even manage to get the old trigger hole centered on the receiver. PLEASE DON'T use that as a template, just eyeball it or measure using Louie's numbers. You're much better off that way.

hackjob,

Acer

OKAY. Here's a picture to show you just how huge the tolerances are.

post-7071-1232146184_thumb.jpg

Edited by acer_saiga308

My 308 had the pistol grip hole already in place however it was not big enough front to back. I had to file it to get the nut to position itself properly. Before filing, it would not lay down flat to give the proper angle for the pistol grip screw.

After filing, it now fits flush.

For the screw hole, I just mounted my reused trigger guard on the mag catch with the screw and nut and then just drilled the rear hole using the existing hole in the trigger guard just kind of by winging it.

Meh. Its easier done than said. It is an AK and being off by certain amounts isn't going to make a big deal of a difference. In the end, it looks good.

[i got my hole cut ok, but I have a grip that i got from MIssissippiauto arms but the grip is totally hollow inside. The bolt is then way too long to ever tighten up. The instructions call out for a lock washer but I have about 4 inches of grip that needs filled to use the long screw provided with the square grip bolt. What do you do?

Sounds like it's more like an AR grip than an AK one. I'd get a smaller screw. Figure out how long it should be roughly, and take your long screw to the hardware store and find one with the same threads and the length you need. Or maybe email MAA and see if he can send you the proper one, or tell you what the proper one is. Glad to hear you got the hole cut!

Acer

[i got my hole cut ok, but I have a grip that i got from MIssissippiauto arms but the grip is totally hollow inside. The bolt is then way too long to ever tighten up. The instructions call out for a lock washer but I have about 4 inches of grip that needs filled to use the long screw provided with the square grip bolt. What do you do?

YEP... If you ordered the PG nut and bolt, you got the setup for an AK PG attachment...

If you ordered the SAW PG (comes with a bolt and locknut) it uses a MUCH shorter screw... but does need the PG Nut.

You can get the PG Nut and Screw (AK) or just the PG nut...

Luck,

Louie

I ordered both actually but didnt get the short screw.

The SAW PG is hollow, has a plate on the bottom retained by a spring that fits inside a groove in the bottom/sides of the PG.

The Screw and lock washer SHOULD have been inside. If not... I'd get in contact with who you purchased it from

or DOUBLE CHECK your packaging and make sure it didn't come out inside the bag (hopefully) or the box..

Mine was inside the SAW PG and I had to pop the spring retainer and open the plate to get it out...

Luck...