My new AR stuff - Bean told me to

Building a 9mm AR on an RRA lower, and I got a receiver for a .45 build. Bean 223 said I'd have to post pictures to brag over it. He e-twisted my arm. I'm just following orders. Although I have something rare now, and it's pretty sweet.

P1010627-1.jpg

P1010624-1.jpg

Edited by Twinsen

Badly. It only loads WWB 115's. The magblock I'm using is terrible. I already ordered an RRA one to go with the RRA lower and RRA upper. It also recoils worse than I expected it to, and the pins walk. Pretty much so far it's just really expensive and disappointing. I hope the mag block fixes one problem.

I just posted about the pins walking over on arfcom and a guy said I should take out my hammer and see if some J hook somesuch is in the right place. I know nothing about the FCG on these things as of yet. The pins sure do move a lot on this RRA lower.

I already plan on having to have the bolt ramped, a lug pinned onto the barrel, replacing the buffer weight, replacing the pins with anti-walk ones... what a moneypit already.

sorry to hear all of the problems. Mine is a Colt and has never givin any problems. It is a lot of fun. The reciol is a little heaver than with the 5.56, but it is not bad. I removed the plastic gas shield and replaced short port cover with a standard size. Replaced the handguard with a set of Triangluar ones. I also used the A1 pistol grip. Replaced the stock and trigger guard with Magpul.

9mmA1convert640x480.jpg

Edited by Banshee

I think the Colt is the one to have. I used to carry a Colt SMG 9mm, very nice and accurate weapon. The only weak point was the magazine. If a fully loaded mag (in your hand) was accidentally bumped just right, the rounds would spew out so fast you couldn't stop it.

The only complaint I have with my 9mm setup is the gas shield bullshit. I'm going to remove it, like Banshee did.

be careful and don't drop the little "E" clip when you remove it from the hinge shaft

Edited by Banshee
You mean the shell deflector looking thing? I'm gonna be shooting it with my silencer, so I want every "gas blocking" thing possible.

Everything I can remember reading, from people who have removed it, say that the gas never became a problem.

But I can't remember if anyone of them were running cans, so :unsure: .

Have you used a can before? They blow a lot of crap back at you. The crowns of all my .22's are BLACK after just a few shots.

After seeing the pile of junk laying in the barrel of my 9mm AR after firing my first shot... I am wondering about sealing stuff up, and maybe hiring a slave boy to cup his hand around the ejection port and catch brass for me.

Have you used a can before? They blow a lot of crap back at you. The crowns of all my .22's are BLACK after just a few shots.

After seeing the pile of junk laying in the barrel of my 9mm AR after firing my first shot... I am wondering about sealing stuff up, and maybe hiring a slave boy to cup his hand around the ejection port and catch brass for me.

A guy next to me at a range in PA let me put a few rounds through his suppressed 10/22.

But I know what you mean. Everything I've ever read about AR's being run with cans, says something about the extra gas pressure and shit being thrown back.

I just saw a thread on Arfcom recently, with a "how-to" of sealing the charging handle, but I can't find it.

I shoot my AR(.223) with my can and don't have any problem with it blowing back in my face, IF IT'S DRY. It's messy as all crap if you shoot it wet. My 9mm can, I have it on my Beretta storm and also use it on my Lusa, and it blows back pretty bad and is dirtier when wet than my .223 can.

My can is no quieter wet than dry, so that is no issue to me. It's an SWR Trident 9, and is the quietest production multi-mount 9mm silencer that I think has ever been made. I need multi-mount because I'm in a ban state and cannot thread the barrel of my AR-15. So I got a 3 lug mount and an LCD mount. ATF hasn't even cashed my check yet, so I'm taking my time on getting a 3 lug on my barrel.

As for sealing the charging handle, I'm pretty sure you grease up the inside of the back of your upper receiver. Then you clean your carrying handle so silicone will stick, then pour on silicone, push the handle in, wipe off excess silicone, then pull it out and clean up the receiver and anymore excess silicone. I have a tube of black silicone I use to reseal car weatherstripping that squirrels eat. I'd like to blame that on cats too. So cats and squirrels.

Is it illegal to shoot a cat on your land and bury it without telling anybody? What about bragging about it later? To their children?

Is it illegal to shoot a cat on your land and bury it without telling anybody? What about bragging about it later? To their children?

Nothing is illegal if you don't get caught :ph34r: . So I hear, anyway.

As far as bragging.........what's the statute of limitations on feline homicide? :ph34r:

I keed, I keed, of course.

34 dead cats and counting :):) and no complaints from the neighbors yet, wouldn't do any good if they did. Keep the things put up and away from my yard and I won't have any reason to punch holes in them. Nobody as of yet has offered to fix the scratches on the hood or back fenders of my dually, so I think we're ALMOST even.

34 dead cats and counting :):) and no complaints from the neighbors yet, wouldn't do any good if they did. Keep the things put up and away from my yard and I won't have any reason to punch holes in them. Nobody as of yet has offered to fix the scratches on the hood or back fenders of my dually, so I think we're ALMOST even.

Not saying I don't agree with you , but some States can and will prosecute you for killing cats and dogs.

Well, when the fricking cross eyed critters are crawling out of the woods, tearing holes in the screens on my living room windows, using the dirt under the front steps for their litter box, tearing up the garbage and have no collar or rabies tags, they are considered feral cats. We also have a leash law in our county. If I step out into my own yard and I have a dog growling at me a few feet away, I have every legal right to shoot it, again, no collar or tags. But there again, I can see how some dim witted people think that I should accept these poor animals into my house, feed them and give them comfort. The ONLY way that will ever happen is if I have nothing to eat, have not ate in days, and then they will be welcomed, right into the oven, for dinner. So get off my ass about how mean I am, if my dog or cat was shitting in your yard and tearing up garbage, I'd expect the same thing, but my dog and cat are kept inside, have had all their shots, have a collar with tags, and are only outside on a leash. I don't live inside the city limits anyway. And Wheel, are you a member of PETA by chance.

34 lives lost because you got some little scratches on your truck?

It's no wonder we humans are in so much trouble!

34 insignificant cat lives. We eat pigs, a higher life form. So get over it.

I have cat scratches on the hood of my Vette (a $2000 part, as it literally covers more than half of the car), the roof panel, and one rear fender from the little bastards. During the week, as trash and recycling bags fill up, we put them in the garage. Every week I have to use a shovel to clean out my garage from the cats that get into the garbage. My garage and cars have a permanent stench from it. I know it's cats because EVERY TIME I go into my garage a cat runs out the door. One time I came back from vacation for a couple days and opened the garage door and a car ran out. Too bad it lived.

They aren't registered like dogs in this state (in this country?), they don't get their shots, they carry disease, they breed unchecked, they are NEVER leashed, they ruin anything and everything they can get their claws on, and people that own them think "oh how cute" whenever you tell them these things. Because hey, they didn't just scratch their own Vette, they scratched yours.

I'm making a poll in fight club.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=34576&st=0

Sell your cats to a chinese restaurant and buy dogs.

Edited by Twinsen

Maybe cats just know how to treat people that don't like them. Have had cats all my life, lived in neighborhoods with multiple cats. Scratches on cars? Nope never had that problem. Going through trash? Possibly but that's why I use a trash can for my trash. And if you have animals going through your trash, nothing a lot of cayenne pepper won't fix. Maybe tighten up the holes leading to your garage. If a cat can get in, so can snakes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, anything else you might want to blow away.

Maybe cats just know how to treat people that don't like them. Have had cats all my life, lived in neighborhoods with multiple cats. Scratches on cars? Nope never had that problem. Going through trash? Possibly but that's why I use a trash can for my trash. And if you have animals going through your trash, nothing a lot of cayenne pepper won't fix. Maybe tighten up the holes leading to your garage. If a cat can get in, so can snakes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, anything else you might want to blow away.

I haven't seen one in the winter anyway, so I have plenty of time to figure out how to keep them away. They sneak in when doors are opened. There are no holes anywhere. Because getting into my house is easier than getting into their own houses apparently. And getting food out of my trash is easier than getting food from their owners. Sad.

Quiet for a little while must be nice :) I can't say I've had to deal with rampant stray cats. 2 or 3 here and there but nothing like a dozen or more like I know some people have to deal with. What can I say I'm a cat person. I just respect them and that they don't give two shits about humans. They will like you if they want to. I even have a cat that adopted me more than a month ago. Don't know wtf the owner is but he has a collar with a bell. Just kind of showed up and never left. Didn't even feed the bastard or let him inside for 3-4 weeks. I let him eat and sleep here, he gives me some love every now and then. Rest of the time he's outside doing God knows what. I just haven't experienced destructive cats.

I'm also biased as a kid. Was out late one halloween as a teen doing bad things. Walking with a group of friends up a dark street when one of them (a cat hater) got all exited and told everyone to shhh and stop. He pointed over into this yard and goes "look, that's a cat over there... watch this". So I'm thinking, whats he going to do? He takes off runs full speed and does his hardest soccer kick he can. It was dark, could see the shadow looked like the cat was just sitting there on it's ass.

Only problem is, when my buddy's foot actually connected with the poor little cat, it wasn't a cat at all but a old tree stump. He went flying and hobbled all the way home in pain. Needless to say I was rather amused with the outcome :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have been thinking of maybe putting together an AR in the coming months if we're still allowed to by our dear leader. I asked a few people I know and I don't know of anyone that sells uppers/lowers around my area. Is it worth going for the whole AR and spending a premium. And would gun shows be a good spot to find said parts, or would you likely just get bent over that way. Internet best option. Never owned or even thought about an AR before. So not sure.

Just get a stripped or complete lower. It's $250-300 for a complete lower, and then anywhere from $350 and up for an upper. Uppers are swapable.

I don't think they're better than an AK, but AK's are illegal for me, so I'm limited. I did the 9mm one because I can't own an Uzi and the other SMGs aren't readily available as semi autos. I'd take just about any of them if they were around. Most have been open bolts, and so semis don't exist.

Given typical gun show prices, it wouldn't be the best place to find an affordable lower. There might be some random/rare deals on lowers, but it's not the norm from what I've seen (and read).

Your best bet would be to buy online, if you can find them, and they aren't set at rapist prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I nixed the CProducts crappy magblock, and installed an RRA to match the RRA upper and RRA lower. It works like a charm with CProducts mags that I supposedly have to modify to get to work. Feeds 147 HPs, 147 FPs, and 115 FMJs. Oh yeah, suckas! Now it is a 100% functioning rifle, not a single problem.

The part of the RRA magblock that helps the mag follower actuate the AR-15 LRBHO didn't like moving, and stuck in both the up and down positions. I sprayed it with RemOil, wiggled it a couple hundred times fast, and it works great. Typical of metal parts fresh from manufacturing and shipping, it probably had sharp edges, too much paint, or packing grease in it.

Don't buy the CProducts magblock until they improve it. It doesn't index itself with the front of the magazine well, and tilts forward, making loading into the chamber only possible with the pointiest of FMJ's. Even then, not reliably. I bought 5 of their 9mm mags, and 3 of their 7.62x39 mags and am satisfied with their mag production.