I might be a genius rivet look alikes for holes..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did the conversion the day after I bought the gun and all the needed parts for my 20. I couldn't find a binding post at Home Depot so I left the rear holes open. The front 2 are empty and the back

Seriously I point to these on my x39 and people have no idea that they aren't rivets. I figure they will work out real well on my NoBama special instead of paying $250 to get the holes welded up and r

Posted Images

Hi guys,

quick question for you guys. I was reading up on the conversion write-up and came up to this part:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_7.htm

10. There are two things left to do, one of which is very necessary. The necessary thing is to figure out a way to prevent the hammer and trigger axles from backing out of the receiver, and the other thing is to fill in the holes that are left from the sporter configuration.  Fortunately, I found a way that addresses both at the same time.  I do this with a type of fastener called a binding post, also known as a Chicago post or screw post.  Binding posts are used to bind large loose leaf documents.  They come in various lengths, so I bought a couple that were slightly longer than what I needed and trimmed about 1/16 inch off the threaded end.  Basically, binding posts are a threaded tube with a head on one end with a matching bolt that screws into the tube.

So do these plastic rivets do the trick?

They DO INDEED!!!!

they stay put!

I have them in my 20 gauge conversion and my .410 conversion and my .223 conversion... have not had one come out yet... ( and I bought a dozen extras in case they do!)

they LOOK like rivets...

they WORK!!!

SIMPLE as that. and QUICK!

BUT.... I used "E clips" to hold the two FCG pins in place, that way there is NO NEED to use the binding posts, and original locking spring they advertise in the conversion instructions. I think the size I went with is 7/32'nds I just took a FCG pin to work, went to the maintenance shop, grabbed the box of Eclips.. and found the right size... and grabbed a bunch! LOL Gotta love work for goodies! LOL

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms

Why wouldnt you peek in on ALL the forums... you never know what info is out there... just waiting for you to enjoy!! :)

some of it is even applicable to OTHER saigas... not just the forum its posted in! hahaha :haha::haha: LOL

I take it you LIKE this idea??? its a KICKASS idea!!! JD1 outdone himself with this one!!!

Roqi... read the edited post, please... I changed a little since you posted...

Ahh just saw that......what the hell is an e-clip? :sadam:

Any pics and where do I get them? Doing the conv. next weekend......my buddy decided to get a drill press and some milling stuff so we pushed it back a week.

• 11 months later...

Damn! My secret's out! :) I've been using white Home Depot ones, as that's all I've been able to find locally. I colored them with a black Sharpee marker. It leaves them just the right shade of black and somewhat textured looking. The finish (if it's fair to call it that) does wear off, but it's easy enough to touch up! I will look for the black ones and Lowes. They may even look nicer once Sharpeeized and they shouldn't show wear as easily as the whites. Cheap and practical cosmetic fix. Props to jd1 for putting the word out.

Falcon73

Damn! My secret's out! :) I've been using white Home Depot ones, as that's all I've been able to find locally. I colored them with a black Sharpee marker. It leaves them just the right shade of black and somewhat textured looking. The finish (if it's fair to call it that) does wear off, but it's easy enough to touch up! I will look for the black ones and Lowes. They may even look nicer once Sharpeeized and they shouldn't show wear as easily as the whites. Cheap and practical cosmetic fix. Props to jd1 for putting the word out.

Falcon73

Guess I posted it elsewhere, but you can find BLACK ones at ACE Hardware, for 20 cents each!! No paint/marker required. :up:

Falcon73

Guess I posted it elsewhere, but you can find BLACK ones at ACE Hardware, for 20 cents each!! No paint/marker required. :up:

That's a much better price!

I always wondered where the hole plug idea came from. I've used it on all my guns to date...Good work jd1!

Thanks for posting it in the tech section too, Indy! :smoke:

Falcon73

That's a much better price!

I always wondered where the hole plug idea came from. I've used it on all my guns to date...Good work jd1!

Thanks for posting it in the tech section too, Indy! :smoke:

ROSIE THE RIVETOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I bought some black ones from Lowes. The texture and color are perfect. No more Sharpee action for me! I'd strongly recommend them over the white ones. BTW, don't worry about these things popping out. My white ones were an absolute pain to get out. I finally cut the heads off them and pushed them in.

• 8 months later...
I thought you guys would be impressed. In my household I'm famous for browsing in Lowe's and Home Depot just to see what I can come up with. I've already seen my idea posted on gunsnet and I had to point out the fact that it was my idea. I'm telling you, this is going to take off and no one will remember lowly jd1.

Indy Arms, I thought the same thing when I popped them in my 20 gauge. Crap! They were made for it!

jd1

You have to remember that 2 people invented the telephone at the same time. I bought a converted saiga-12 about 6 months ago that the converter had installed these in. I don't know who converted it. And also, I'm not saying that only one inventor of the telephone was a guiness, they both were. It's just really hard to be the first or only person to think or do something these days. But you do oviously deserve credit here becuase it appears your the first here to bring it to attention. I assumed it was common knowledge here (I bought the saiga off the forum) or I would have put up pics and mentioned it awhile ago. I have 4 converted saiga-12, 1 tig weld, 1 with these, 1 with bolts, and 1 with nothing but holes. I can say that if your not going to tig weld, I would go with these because they do look much better than the bolts or holes. Mike

I just looked it up and I bought the saiga from TacticalResponse and it was 7 months ago.

Someone should put a thread in the Saiga-12 section letting people know this option.

Edited by Mike Davidson

I used Chicago screws for my conversion because they retain the spring which holds the trigger and hammer pins (Saiga Shepherd's crook?) and found them at a local hardware store.

I've seen the plastic snap pins in the hardware store and if you go that route I suggest you get the black ones instead of painting them.

If you can't find the hardware at either Lowe's, Home Depot or the local hardware store then try Fastenall or other fastener dealers. They have a lot of hardware like the U drive screws some people use to build AKs instead of screws or rivets. The U drive screws do work.

I've used JD1's idea from the start of my conversions. Brilliant. I love it and so do my friends. Thanks, man, for filling an eye-sore in, like, 25,000,000 rifles and shotguns.

Wildcatter

Dude, and I thought I was cool for coming up with the galil top cover rear sight and welded front idea . If I were you, I would have sold these buggers to the Saiga-12 forum populace for $1.00 apiece. :dollar::smoke::dollar:

• 2 months later...