I might be a genius rivet look alikes for holes..

I did the conversion the day after I bought the gun and all the needed parts for my 20. I couldn't find a binding post at Home Depot so I left the rear holes open. The front 2 are empty and the back 2 show some of the stock through them.

I went to LOWE's today at lunch and found a binding post and looked in their misc pieces and parts bins and found HILLMAN 3/16" Nylon Hole Plugs. I had measured the holes with my calipers at about .175". In my mental math I came up with 3/16" should be close enough.

I got home tonight and one popped right in snugly. The other one needed some coaxing but finally gave up and clicked in.

These look like they came with the gun. Their finish matches the gun to a T. I don't know if they will last or hold up or not, but it sure looks better than a binding post or a screw where a rivet should be.

They were a dollar and change at LOWE's for a plastic pkg of 2.

jd1

Edited by jd1
  • Like 2
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did the conversion the day after I bought the gun and all the needed parts for my 20. I couldn't find a binding post at Home Depot so I left the rear holes open. The front 2 are empty and the back

Seriously I point to these on my x39 and people have no idea that they aren't rivets. I figure they will work out real well on my NoBama special instead of paying $250 to get the holes welded up and r

Posted Images

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera but here is the complete description on the package I picked up at Lowe's.

HILLMAN 3/16" Nylon Hole Plugs Black

The UPC is 0 0823671665 8

There is a stand alone number 139446 then another numer H#881274

And they're made in the good old US of A.

They are in the sliding drawers in the fastener section in the Hole Plug Drawer. Plug in the address below and look at the upper left hand picture. That is a nylon hole plug. I'm serious, it looks just like it's meant to be there. The finish matches my reciever. I looked at it again this morning. It looks like a small rivet head. And they're less than $2 for a pair. You guys can't be cheaper than I am.

http://www.keyelco.com/kec/pdfs/p85.pdf#se...le%20Plugs'

jd1

JD1.....

You are a goddamned SCROUNGER of the FIRST ORDER!!! :up::up::up:

I am IMPRESSED!!! I went to lowes... bought a bunch... brought em home... popped them on my .410... and HOLY SHIT.... THEY look like they were MADE THERE!!! TRULY AN OUTSTANDING IDEA!

One of the BEST ones yet!!!!!:up::up::up:

:smoke:

I thought you guys would be impressed. In my household I'm famous for browsing in Lowe's and Home Depot just to see what I can come up with. I've already seen my idea posted on gunsnet and I had to point out the fact that it was my idea. I'm telling you, this is going to take off and no one will remember lowly jd1.

Indy Arms, I thought the same thing when I popped them in my 20 gauge. Crap! They were made for it!

jd1

The only comment I will make is it seems to work BETTER to drill the holes to the 3/16th it needs. they will SQUEEZE in the ones already there, but I kinda crushed one... and it didnt fit perfectly afterwards... once I drilled the holes to 3/16th, they slipped right in, TIGHTLY fit, and LOOK EXACTLY like the other rivets on the receiver!!!

AGAIN... TRULY BRILLIANT! :up: :up: :up:

Them holes were my BANE of the whole conversion!!!!

I dont CARE if its $2 bucks for 4 .005cent chunks of plastic... WORTH the price to look THAT GOOD!!!!

Edited by IndyArms

I hear ya... I would recommend to all out there doing conversion work... a GOOD cordless drill... no fuss no muss.. just grab and go.. I actually did it sitting here at my computer in between threads. LOL

But NEVER a cordless dremel... they just dont have the ass or the duration of the good old plug in ones...

TO YALL READING THIS.... you want them HOLES FILLED IN??? THIS IS *THE* WAY TO GO for EASY and relatively inexpensive!!!

TOP NOTCH!!

If anyone is planning to use these on future conversions I would stock up now. I was at Lowes yesterday and the guy told me they only sold 4 last year and they probly would not restock them after the ones that I ordered. Home Depot had the same ones but they were all white.

Thank you jd1 for a damn good idea. I read this thread before work and went to Lowe's after work. I popped 2 in the open holes of my 7.62x39, but still need to drill out some of the stock material for the rear holes. So far they look like they're supposed to be there. :up:

Edited by Eric86GT