I might be a genius rivet look alikes for holes..

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did the conversion the day after I bought the gun and all the needed parts for my 20. I couldn't find a binding post at Home Depot so I left the rear holes open. The front 2 are empty and the back

Seriously I point to these on my x39 and people have no idea that they aren't rivets. I figure they will work out real well on my NoBama special instead of paying $250 to get the holes welded up and r

Posted Images

Has any one tried using the screw build kits to fill the receiver holes ? http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=304

I found theses in a local gun shop and aside from the small allen head hole in the top they look just like the rivets. They come with the small nuts and just tighten into the holes.

I have used similar screws on a couple of occasions but the holes were small enough so that I tapped them and did not need the nuts. The allen head holes are pretty small and don't look bad.

• 7 months later...

I started to put the nylon plugs in but they wanted to go sideways and then "smash" instead of going in the hole.

Then I tried using needle nose pliers. I put the plug in the pliers first and then pushed straight down and into the hole.

I got all 4 in , in less than one minute.

louielouie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera but here is the complete description on the package I picked up at Lowe's.

HILLMAN 3/16" Nylon Hole Plugs Black

The UPC is 0 0823671665 8

There is a stand alone number 139446 then another numer H#881274

And they're made in the good old US of A.

They are in the sliding drawers in the fastener section in the Hole Plug Drawer. Plug in the address below and look at the upper left hand picture. That is a nylon hole plug. I'm serious, it looks just like it's meant to be there. The finish matches my reciever. I looked at it again this morning. It looks like a small rivet head. And they're less than $2 for a pair. You guys can't be cheaper than I am.

http://www.keyelco.com/kec/pdfs/p85.pdf#se...le%20Plugs'

jd1

Wonder if they'd count as a US part for 922r ???

:haha::haha:

• 2 weeks later...

Get six 3/16" nylon hole plugs from http://www.dinzagarms.com for $1.00 Same plugs................

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera but here is the complete description on the package I picked up at Lowe's.

HILLMAN 3/16" Nylon Hole Plugs Black

The UPC is 0 0823671665 8

There is a stand alone number 139446 then another numer H#881274

And they're made in the good old US of A.

They are in the sliding drawers in the fastener section in the Hole Plug Drawer. Plug in the address below and look at the upper left hand picture. That is a nylon hole plug. I'm serious, it looks just like it's meant to be there. The finish matches my reciever. I looked at it again this morning. It looks like a small rivet head. And they're less than $2 for a pair. You guys can't be cheaper than I am.

http://www.keyelco.com/kec/pdfs/p85.pdf#se...le%20Plugs'

jd1

Wonder if they'd count as a US part for 922r ???

:haha::haha:

• 1 month later...

I installed these on my Saiga-12 and they fit perfectly. The problem is I put an AK-BFS on it as a stock and the plugs will not fit in the holes since the part of the stock that inserts into the receiver is in the way. Would it be all right if I drilled the part of the stock that inserts into the receiver with some 3/16" or 11/64" holes and put the plugs in there or would cutting down the plugs be a better way and gluing them in? A picture is below of what I mean.

saiga_pin_holesL.jpg

saiga_pin_holesR.jpg

I was originally going to weld the holes shut, but these work perfect. Thanks to the OP.

Edited by OC80mg

+1 to what IndyArms said. I encountered the same problem. I was able to resolve it without even removing the stock, which was a very tight fit. First, I stuck a rag in the rest of the receiver (internals were not installed yet) to minimize plastic flakes from getting everywhere. Then I simply used a self-centering bit to drill out most of the material blocking the hole. After that, I used a Dremel with a small ball mill bit to remove enough material so that the plugs would pop in. Only a small amount of material was removed, and it worked great.

Are these the same thing?

http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs-covers-5MM-black

Dinzag used that same picture on his website, but also a picture of a different looking type that look like they lock in better..

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/aknyhp.html

Do the WidgetCo.com hole plugs stay in tight? I'm about to start my first 7.62 conversion and I'd like to pick some up if they work.

Never used the widget ones... just the ones like dinzag has, which are like the ones from lowes... they have tabs which lock them in place. The widget ones just look like a pressure fit.

Theres no reason they WONT work. they just might pop out, is al,l after time.

:smoke:

Never used the widget ones... just the ones like dinzag has, which are like the ones from lowes... they have tabs which lock them in place. The widget ones just look like a pressure fit.

Theres no reason they WONT work. they just might pop out, is al,l after time.

Ah, so the good ones are the ones Lowes has. Lowe's didn't have them when I checked, but I guess I'll try a different location. Would much rather have the locking ones. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some from the Cary, NC Lowe's and these things look *great*. If any of you in Wake Co. need some of these, Crossroads Lowe's has a bunch of 'em.

post-5328-1216497347_thumb.jpg

post-5328-1216497341_thumb.jpg

Plugs installed today in a freshly painted receiver.

*Edit: Pic of other side

Edited by FenderFreek

Thanks for the heads up fenderfreak. They have them over here in Garner too at the 401 / 70 split.

Some hardware stores have them too but they are usually the glossy black, which doesn't look as good.

Home Depot has them too but they are white. In a pinch, you can color the white ones black with a good permanent marker.

Hey we should get together sometime and talk shop. I forgot you were local.

• 2 months later...
I already posted it someplace on here.... let me see if I can find it....

You are right. They look like a steel rivet. I converted my Saiga 7.62 3 days after getting it. I put a little drop of Crazy glue on the back when it was tore down and oil free. No wiggle and look great. It is the small details that make or break the deal. If you take a little pride in your work and dont want to go through the trouble of peening steel rivets, this is the way to go. Keep the Ideas flowing. The newbies realy appreciate it. Thanks again.

post-13220-1224376009.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to be into R/C cars and trucks and we had a trick for dye jobs on white parts. You boil water with some RIT fabric dye and the parts in there and they will be forever changed.

Dying plastic R/C parts video tutorial

If you are still curious I googled "dying plastic RIT" and had results from tons of different hobbies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-1914-1234196105_thumb.jpg

Seriously I point to these on my x39 and people have no idea that they aren't rivets. I figure they will work out real well on my NoBama special instead of paying $250 to get the holes welded up and refinished

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!!! My first post. Been poking around while waiting on my new toy. These plugs are GREAT!! Thanks jd1. I really did not want to take the welder to my new baby, but did not want to look at the holes either. Glad to do my part to keep this thread alive!

• 4 months later...

You could use 2 screws to provide additional support for your stock.

That is what I did on my rifle

I installed these on my Saiga-12 and they fit perfectly. The problem is I put an AK-BFS on it as a stock and the plugs will not fit in the holes since the part of the stock that inserts into the receiver is in the way. Would it be all right if I drilled the part of the stock that inserts into the receiver with some 3/16" or 11/64" holes and put the plugs in there or would cutting down the plugs be a better way and gluing them in? A picture is below of what I mean.

saiga_pin_holesL.jpg

saiga_pin_holesR.jpg

I was originally going to weld the holes shut, but these work perfect. Thanks to the OP.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just make sure you have proper internal clearance inside the receiver... some stocks need to be dremeled a bit to make sure they arent in the way of the hole plug... as long as all is clear, they will pop in and almost NEVER come out if the hole is the proper size.