Shoot Hollow Point through your AK?

Just wanted to find out if anybody has any experience with Golden Bear Hollow Point through their AK. I'm thinking of doing a bulk order of 1,000 rounds from ammo to go.. but the only fmj they have left is the yugo surplus.. I've got a little of that, but it's stamped 1981.. and I want something that I can store for a while if need be. I'd really rather go with Golden Bear, but I've never used the hollow point before.

I'm shooting an amd 65, and I wanted to see if anyone's ever had feed issues or anything with HP in their AK.

Just wanted to find out if anybody has any experience with Golden Bear Hollow Point through their AK. I'm thinking of doing a bulk order of 1,000 rounds from ammo to go.. but the only fmj they have left is the yugo surplus.. I've got a little of that, but it's stamped 1981.. and I want something that I can store for a while if need be. I'd really rather go with Golden Bear, but I've never used the hollow point before.

I'm shooting an amd 65, and I wanted to see if anyone's ever had feed issues or anything with HP in their AK.

For one, if your AK is any relation to what Mr. Kalashnikov envisioned, it'll eat any 7.62x39.

The HP ammo only has a pinhole in the end, anyway, so it's not really "HP" in shape.

2nd of all, the Yugo ammo is military production and has been designed to last for 100+ years in it's lovely birthday can. You've got about 80 more years to go before you start worrying about the Yugo stuff. This is one reason the commies still use corrosive primers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

For one, if your AK is any relation to what Mr. Kalashnikov envisioned, it'll eat any 7.62x39.

The HP ammo only has a pinhole in the end, anyway, so it's not really "HP" in shape.

2nd of all, the Yugo ammo is military production and has been designed to last for 100+ years in it's lovely birthday can. You've got about 80 more years to go before you start worrying about the Yugo stuff. This is one reason the commies still use corrosive primers.

I shot Wolf hollow point ammo in mine and had no problems since the hollow point is a pinhole and the jacket reaches around it. Golden Bear is very similar to Wolf so go ahead and get the case. I wish I could afford a case or two for myself.

Edited by uzitiger

I dont buy HP because a while ago (back durring the Clinton gun ban) I bought a "pc" Hungarian AK that was made for only single stack 10rd mags. The AK was great never a problem but the HP ammo would sometimes clear the bullet guide but hit the barrel and get stuck. I used all different types of x39 FMJ and HP. Never a problem with FMJ but some HP ammo would get stuck. Since than I have sold the gun but I still only use FMJ. I guess I just got used to buying it.

Edited by Arik
I dont buy HP because a while ago (back durring the Clinton gun ban) I bought a "pc" Hungarian AK that was made for only single stack 10rd mags. The AK was great never a problem but the HP ammo would sometimes clear the bullet guide but hit the barrel and get stuck. I used all different types of x39 FMJ and HP. Never a problem with FMJ but some HP ammo would get stuck. Since than I have sold the gun but I still only use FMJ. I guess I just got used to buying it.

Sometimes some AK's allow the HP to hit low -hitting & stopping just below the chamber. A little bit of a "chamfer" going into the chamber from about 4-8:00 takes care of this. It is not unlike what a .45acp barrel needs to feed HP.

This is not a uncommon problem with the SKS, as well.

Use of SP rounds realy increases misfeed risks -the chamfer thing gets it functioning reliably as well.

I have a mixture of SP (Soft point), HP (Hollow point) and FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) ammo and all cycle as they should. I think some of my drums and stick mags are a mixed batch. But it's all Wolf. Non-corrosive and new manufacture.

As it has been mentioned, the "hollow point" on the 7.62 is closer to a pinhole but done so intentionally for reliable cycling. Tank commanders make good weapon designers. :smoke: