FAL mag adapter thread?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renegadebuck was working on one. I don't remember if he was gonna work with MSA or MAA, but I think it was one of them. I'm very interested as well, I already got a few metric mags for my S-308.

Curious as well,

Acer

ETA: It's Nathan at MSA. Thread here.

Edited by acer_saiga308

There's quite a few of us waiting for it. As I understand the prototype is done and has been sent to MSA for production. I imagine there will be some time in getting the molds set up and then testing of production pieces.

Their other mag adapters came to market fairly quickly so I hope the same happens on this project.

They did, at least for the .223 adapter.

I betcha what it was is that everyone was whining about it being plastic, and they did the numbers and figured it would sell better if it was metal and wouldn't hurt strength or anything. Heck, I'm more sold on a metal one than plastic.

Acer

Heck, I'm more sold on a metal one than plastic.

Acer

+1, me too

Ok Guys, Shoot me! I haven't had time to draw the plans yet for Magnolia, so it's not their fault that it's not available yet or you haven't heard anymore about it. I had another rush on my .223 adapters and had to build them, along with finishing a Nova for a customer in my business(gotta pay the bills, ya know). I haven't finished them all yet, but I'm close. The 69 Mustang customer will have to wait a little longer, but it's almost done too. (I custom build muscle cars for a living). The paint, engine, tranny and rear are done, just have to wire and put the lights and exhaust on it and it'll roll and pay a few bills too! I'll try and finish the drawings and submit to Magnolia this weekend. I got behind building the .223 adapters and that threw me behind on everything else. Sorry.

I too, thought the threads had disappeared. I figured it was MSA doing it to protect their investment on the great product they and Renegadebuck are working on.

No rush Renegade, we're all big boys here. Take a moment to catch your breath and maybe have a beer;) . Sounds like you got a FULL PLATE there. Burning the candle at both ends makes for a short wick.

I betcha what it was is that everyone was whining about it being plastic, and they did the numbers and figured it would sell better if it was metal and wouldn't hurt strength or anything. Heck, I'm more sold on a metal one than plastic.

Acer

Acer,

:nonono: Sorry, you lost that bet...... Don't make assumptions of what my numbers/sales are prior to the aluminum announcement unless you are :google: at my books. The Xenoy is a superior polymer hands down, it is not ABS plastic. If Honda can build a lawnmower deck out of it and drive one of their Honda Pilots over it without breaking I'd say it is some tough shit, aluminum or steel would have folded in on itself. The added weight factor would have been through the roof compared to the Xenoy. This subject has already been discussed and was laid to rest as far as I am concerned. :deadhorse:

To that end the reason for the change was I could not get the mill work on the mold the way I want it for the time being(I am a perfectionist). Regardless, polymer or aluminum, I will not put out a shitty adapter with my companies name on it (period) Thanks

Acer

Acer,

:nonono: Sorry, you lost that bet...... Don't make assumptions of what my numbers/sales are prior to the aluminum announcement unless you are :google: at my books. The Xenoy is a superior polymer hands down, it is not ABS plastic. If Honda can build a lawnmower deck out of it and drive one of their Honda Pilots over it without breaking I'd say it is some tough shit, aluminum or steel would have folded in on itself. The added weight factor would have been through the roof compared to the Xenoy. This subject has already been discussed and was laid to rest as far as I am concerned. :deadhorse:

To that end the reason for the change was I could not get the mill work on the mold the way I want it for the time being(I am a perfectionist). Regardless, polymer or aluminum, I will not put out a shitty adapter with my companies name on it (period) Thanks

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you're a money grabbing schill or anything. I kinda assumed the Xenoy and aluminum would have similar properties in such a small item, and figured that with all the "can you make me one outta aluminum?" type posts, that they might sell better. I know nothing about the manufacturing process, so I was just speculating.

Me recanto,

Acer

Acer

Acer,

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you're a money grabbing schill or anything. I kinda assumed the Xenoy and aluminum would have similar properties in such a small item, and figured that with all the "can you make me one outta aluminum?" type posts, that they might sell better. I know nothing about the manufacturing process, so I was just speculating.

Me recanto,

Acer

Ahhhhh I'm just being a cranky old fuss.... Hadn't slept in 28 hrs due to the deckadron (sp?) shot for my shoulder. Damn thing keeps you up like a IV of straight Redbull and 3 day old Waffle House coffee. Anywho no hard feelings, didn't mean to come across like a ginormous pecker. :bag:

• 2 weeks later...
Bump

Just to let you know we care- :big_smile:

Thanks Paladin. I'm devoting all of tomorrow to finishing up the drawings and the second adapter so I can submit it (except a trip to the PO to ship some .223 adapters). So If the creek doesn't rise, I'll be finished and Nathan will have the ball.

Bump

Thanks Paladin. I'm devoting all of tomorrow to finishing up the drawings and the second adapter so I can submit it (except a trip to the PO to ship some .223 adapters). So If the creek doesn't rise, I'll be finished and Nathan will have the ball.

This news makes me feel funny in my special place.

Bump

Please don't post any pic's of that.. :eek:

Bump

DITTO!!

Update. I made some changes to the adapter today, and it seems to handle the softpoints better. There is a slight mag mod you will have to do, but it will take less than 2 minutes with a dremel and a pair of pliers. The front of the FAL mags have a feed guide bump on each side at the front. From the front of the bump to the front of the mag, the right side top curl (front away from you), has to be turned down to hold the follower down slightly lower and so the bolt can lock into battery. I'll post pics of this as soon as I make room on Photobucket (unless someone knows of another free pic storage site). Anyway, I didn't finish the drawings but almost did. I will devote as much time tomorrow as it takes to finish as this has taken entirely too long.

Thanks for your patience guys, but I think it will be worth the wait.

Bump

DITTO!!

Update. I made some changes to the adapter today, and it seems to handle the softpoints better. There is a slight mag mod you will have to do, but it will take less than 2 minutes with a dremel and a pair of pliers. The front of the FAL mags have a feed guide bump on each side at the front. From the front of the bump to the front of the mag, the right side top curl (front away from you), has to be turned down to hold the follower down slightly lower and so the bolt can lock into battery. I'll post pics of this as soon as I make room on Photobucket (unless someone knows of another free pic storage site). Anyway, I didn't finish the drawings but almost did. I will devote as much time tomorrow as it takes to finish as this has taken entirely too long.

Thanks for your patience guys, but I think it will be worth the wait.

Thank you yet again for your efforts. :beer:

I'm new here, first post, but this thread is what prompted me to order my Saiga. Should be here from Mississippiautoarms by friday. Just ordered 10 Metric Fal Mag's from GB. This looks very promising, can't wait to order and try it out, well, after I find someone to convert it. Anyways, thanks again for the hard work, I'm definitely interested in this product.

Try Hunt101.com for photo hosting. I've used them for a few years now, I also use photobucket, both are acceptable.

Have you got an idea of about how much the adapters will cost?

Thanks Lumox, I will. That's entirely up to Nathan. On this one, I'm just the designer and prover. I can tell you that whatever he cahrges, it would be cheaper than I could build them. I thought I had just about every tool known to man, but I must of been wrong. On a car, if the space is too tight to get a good weld, you just cut out a bigger piece. This little shit is driving me crazy, and it's a very short ride. :D

If the thing is made right and and functions 100% I would not be averse to paying $300+ for such a device especially if it were made of heat treated steel and would stand the gaff as well as the rest of a Saiga 308 receiver,trunnions,etc.

Replacing $600 worth of unique plastic mags with $150 worth of common steel FAL mags would allow me to free up $200 dollars.

If the thing is made right and and functions 100% I would not be averse to paying $300+ for such a device especially if it were made of heat treated steel and would stand the gaff as well as the rest of a Saiga 308 receiver,trunnions,etc.

Replacing $600 worth of unique plastic mags with $150 worth of common steel FAL mags would allow me to free up $200 dollars.

Uh, lets not put a price in their heads. I want them to make a profit so they will make more goodies, but $300 is too much for an adapter IMO. Thats half the cost of the gun!

Uh, lets not put a price in their heads. I want them to make a profit so they will make more goodies, but $300 is too much for an adapter IMO. Thats half the cost of the gun!

Pricing depends on complexity of the part. $300 for an adapter is way out of the ballpark in terms of manufacturing such an adapter. So lets not jump the gun, nothing has been reviewed to even get a base.

Pricing depends on complexity of the part. $300 for an adapter is way out of the ballpark in terms of manufacturing such an adapter. So lets not jump the gun, nothing has been reviewed to even get a base.

It's not that complex, just difficult to get the welding torch head to. If it was cnc or molded, it wouldn't be half as difficult. I have all the specs down on paper except the release. I'm not a draftsman and 1 year in high school 35 years ago doesn't count! Once I figure out how to draw the release so you can actually understand what I've drawn, I'll email the plans to you (pm me an account). I'll be shipping the prototype to you also. Do you want it sent to your shop?

RB

It's not that complex, just difficult to get the welding torch head to. If it was cnc or molded, it wouldn't be half as difficult. I have all the specs down on paper except the release. I'm not a draftsman and 1 year in high school 35 years ago doesn't count! Once I figure out how to draw the release so you can actually understand what I've drawn, I'll email the plans to you (pm me an account). I'll be shipping the prototype to you also. Do you want it sent to your shop?

RB

RB

Email it to the one in my sig...... the shipping address in my sig will work as a good ship to as well. I'll get it CAD drawn ASAP and see what we can do for production. Thanks