FAL mag adapter thread?

If the thing is made right and and functions 100% I would not be averse to paying $300+ for such a device especially if it were made of heat treated steel and would stand the gaff as well as the rest of a Saiga 308 receiver,trunnions,etc.

Replacing $600 worth of unique plastic mags with $150 worth of common steel FAL mags would allow me to free up $200 dollars.

Uh, lets not put a price in their heads. I want them to make a profit so they will make more goodies, but $300 is too much for an adapter IMO. Thats half the cost of the gun!

Pricing depends on complexity of the part. $300 for an adapter is way out of the ballpark in terms of manufacturing such an adapter. So lets not jump the gun, nothing has been reviewed to even get a base.

I figured if an IMI M16 Adapter was going for $150 when they made hundreds of thousands of them that a limited run custom item might cost twice as much.If you want to make them cheaper then by all means don't let me sway you,LOL

I would just hope that is was steel like the Galil unit but I use plastic magazines in my S308 right now so....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drawing sent, to the right Nathan this time! I don't have a clue who I sent it to earlier or how his email got into my address box. At least he was as confused as I was and sent it back. I hope the right Nathan has it now. Damn, that's embarassing. It's hell to get old, guys.

I hear ya' Mike. But my Dad used to say,"Gettin' old sure beats the alternative!" All the best.

vorpal

I have been reading and keeping up with this thread. The question I got is about modifying a mag to fit the 308 model 100. Has anybody tried this with any success?

I was comparing a saiga 308 5 round mag with the propriatary mag for the 308 - 100 and it seems that a little dremeling and grinding could make this mag conversion work. Has anybody tried to modify another mag to fit the 308-model 100?

I have been reading and keeping up with this thread. The question I got is about modifying a mag to fit the 308 model 100. Has anybody tried this with any success?

I was comparing a saiga 308 5 round mag with the propriatary mag for the 308 - 100 and it seems that a little dremeling and grinding could make this mag conversion work. Has anybody tried to modify another mag to fit the 308-model 100?

I think it could be done, but the magcatch will make you go balled! You cant get the mag in the well deep enough and keep the rounds from falling out and jamming the gun on the return stroke after taking so much off the mag to allow it to fit. The mags for the gun have slightly longer feed lips. After a lot of welding and grinding, it fed, but the magcatch? Screw it! The adapter is easier.

A gunsmith friend of mine modified a M14 mag to work in a M78 Valmet several years ago. I had the gun and mag but sold them at a gun show a few years ago. When he did the modification, Valmet .308 mag were $75.00 and M14 mags were less than $10.00.

• 2 weeks later...
Going to try and pick up a Saiga .308 at the Richmond Gunshow March 28th - 29th. Got one priced through a local source at $519.

Get the $519 one. Gun show prices (at least here) are outrageous! The Saiga 308 (or 223 for that matter) are the best bang for the buck. What is the next in line 308 mag fed rifle going for? Mucho more than $519. Even at the orbital gun show price of $700, the Saiga was still best in show.

buckmeister

Dang why did I read this thread??!!!??? No excuse now for not buying a 308.......Now where did did I see those cheapFAL mags??????

It's just too bad they're no longer a great deal, yeah? I was lucky to buy mine for $239 a few years back.

SCMA-1