DIY Tromix Trigger Guard

It's a bolt-on triggerguard and also mounts the pistol grip. With one of these and a FCG you can do the conversion in about an hour with no machining.

Let me be sure I understand. With the DIY Trigger Guard and your FCG I can convert my Saiga 12. Is this correct? Thanks.

Let me be sure I understand. With the DIY Trigger Guard and your FCG I can convert my Saiga 12. Is this correct? Thanks.

Well, yes and no. They will literally convert the gun to pistol-grip configuration, but not necessarily legally. Now I'm not a legal expert so do your own research, but here's the deal as I understand it.

If your S-12 has a threaded barrel than it has 14 ATF-defined parts. To have the non-sporting features (such as hicap mags and pistol grip) it can have no more than 10 foreign-made parts.

Here's the list for the factory S-12, taken from Dinzags FAQ on this site:

Receiver

Barrels

Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

Bolts

Bolt carriers

Gas pistons

Triggers

Hammers

Disconnectors

Buttstock

Forearms, handguards

Magazine bodies

Followers

Floorplates

The FCG replaces 3 parts, bringing the foreign parts count down to 11. So if you replace the buttstock, handguard or gas piston with a US made one, you're good to go. Some guys will argue that a US made magazine is good for 3 parts, but personally I don't rely on it since your gun can be made illegal just by inserting a Russian mag.

Edited by BobAsh
It's an interesting hobby for sure.

If I screwed something up in my explanation I'm sure someone will correct me ASAP.

From what I understand adding a pistol grip doesn't count as a part. It must replace a pistol grip for it to count but S12's never had one to begin with.

From what I understand adding a pistol grip doesn't count as a part. It must replace a pistol grip for it to count but S12's never had one to begin with.

Im pretty sure if you add a foreign-made pistol grip it will count as a foreign made part, but I'm willing to listen to arguments otherwise.

Im pretty sure if you add a foreign-made pistol grip it will count as a foreign made part, but I'm willing to listen to arguments otherwise.

What I meant was if you added an american made pistol grip it will not lower the parts count because you are not replacing anything. You are correct in saying that adding a foreign made part will increase the parts count unless you are replacing another foreign made part.

hey BobAsh.

do you know the screw i would need and any mod i would need to do for the DIY for a StrikeForce AK Pistol Grip?

have a Lowes i can goto...

just ordered a Tromix FCG & DIY.

way excited..

hey BobAsh.

do you know the screw i would need and any mod i would need to do for the DIY for a StrikeForce AK Pistol Grip?

have a Lowes i can goto...

just ordered a Tromix FCG & DIY.

way excited..

So does the DIY triggerguard move the FCG forward? Also, what "machining" is eliminated with this part?

Seems in the DIY video I just watched, the only machining going on was to cut down the factory trigger guard?

Is it just me or is the Tromix DIY triggerguard a massive waste of $50 when not using a SAW grip? I just did my conversion and realize that I need to go ahead and buy a different brand of DIY triggerguard. Namely one that is actually designed to use AK parts and not Crapco ones.

I just converted mine THIS MORNING using a Tromix DIY trigger and I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!!! I am soo happy I decided to get one, it made the job a snap and it is really a VERY nicely made piece. I actually prefer the fixed pistol grip nut that they use and if you use the right length screw I don't see why you couldn't use any pistol grip that you'd like???? The nut is in the standard position and standard angle if I am not mistaken?? I'm pretty sure I could slap any AK pistol grip on there with the correct length screw for it.

BobAsh, can you guys PLEASE make a bolt on guard for the x39 Saiga's too...PLEASE!!! I want to take my home made one off soo bad after seeing how great the Tromix one looks on my 12.

Just gotta slap up a pic of my project from this moring...I used the Tromix diy trigger guard and the Tromix modded Tapco Trigger Group...

n1077104271_30182837_9351.jpg

Edited by Prodge

Yes, 1. it moves the trigger group forward, 2. it also covers up the old rear trigger hole, and as if that wasn't enough 3. it gives you a pistol grip nut all in a part that takes less than a minute to install.

The S12's do NOT have the pistol grip holes cut in them so you would actually have to cut out the square hole yourself for pistol grip. With the DIY guard you cut nothing! Remove the stock plate (paint bottom of receiver where plate was) and slap on the new trigger guard...DONE.

So does the DIY triggerguard move the FCG forward? Also, what "machining" is eliminated with this part?

Seems in the DIY video I just watched, the only machining going on was to cut down the factory trigger guard?

Edited by Prodge
The nut is in the standard position and standard angle if I am not mistaken?? I'm pretty sure I could slap any AK pistol grip on there with the correct length screw for it.

I'm pretty sure the nut is in a different position. I could go measure it, but I'll just safely assume that it is different, considering there is 1/3" gap between my pistol grip and triggerguard now. The BHO sticks into my finger, as the reach is a bit much.

Maybe you are right but I have read several posts stating that the Tromix DIY will accept other AK grips...I personally am happy with the saw so it's no biggie to me. But I always assumed that I could put other grips on it with the right screw. Not trying to start an argument or anything but just throwing the info out there ;) See below...

The US made AK style we carry fits perfect with the Tromix DIY. You will need a longer bolt with this grip to attach it.

The CAA with inserts requires a little sanding from the top inside part of the grip that touches the stem to make it fit flush with the receiver.

They may be others that work well also, these are just the other 2 we carry right now besides the SAW.

Correct. We didn't test it on every available grip, so we can't say what it will/won't fit. But I've seen lots of different grips mounted on them.

The nut is in the standard position and standard angle if I am not mistaken?? I'm pretty sure I could slap any AK pistol grip on there with the correct length screw for it.

I'm pretty sure the nut is in a different position. I could go measure it, but I'll just safely assume that it is different, considering there is 1/3" gap between my pistol grip and triggerguard now. The BHO sticks into my finger, as the reach is a bit much.

Edited by Prodge

Coincidentally.. I had actually made a quick video for a buddy of mine (who is thinking of getting an S12 and converting) this morning while I was doing my conversion. He had asked me what exactly the Tromix diy trigger guard did...I uploaded the video to photobucket not sure if it will help out "wheel" and "starman"...the video is there already might as well use it ;)

th_MOV05753.jpg

Hey DRWHO,

I have a tromix DIY trigger guard and an ATI strikeforce grip.

You will need to order an AK bolt for the grip. I got mine from DPH

($6). Might as well order 2 as shipping is more than the cost of one bolt.

I have only prefit the grip as I have not done my conversion yet--still

waiting on parts. I also tried Lowes but they did not have the length I needed in

metric. The bolt seems to fit but I may have to trim the length during final install.

Hope this helps.

beagle12

No prob ;) I only had to notch the tang VERY slightly (took about 10 seconds with dremel) to leave room for the rear most screw head of the DIY Trigger Guard. I took a picture of what I had to trim from the tang...I made a tiny u-shaped notch...simple stuff...you can barely see it in the pic (look carefully at the rearmost part of the tang), removed a TINY amount of material...just enough to clear the head of that rear screw...

DSC05766.jpg

Thanks, Prodge, for the video. It sure cleared up a lot of things. In order to add your folding stock, did you have to cut off the tang?