Ever since my friend died by her own hands I have not gone shooting. Something is gone. I just do not feel like shooting anymore. I go out of my way to make excuses to avoid the range. I already sold several guns that we used together when I was training her, but now I am thinking of giving up the whole thing. The current political situation does not help. I figure everything I own will be illegal soon anyway. Should I just hang tough or should I let it all go? My heart just does not seem to be in it anymore.

Let's rid ourselves of emotion and think.

If you hold on to what you have, and then eventually get over the loss, you'll be glad you still have them.

If you hold on to what you have and then NEVER get over the loss, but the Saiga-12 or whatever you own gets banned, you can sell it for MORE later than you can now.

If you sell everything and then get over the loss, you'll have to buy everything back that you want at post-ban prices.

If you sell everything you have and never get over the loss and Obama bans them all, making the $800 Saiga conversion worth $1500, you'll wish you had waited.

Just looking at the possible scenarios, it seems that waiting at least a while is the best option.

~SN

P.S. I'm sorry for your situation, it's tough to deal with death in any form.

I remember the thread about your friend.

I have to second TR_Young's advice about talking to someone. You have no reason to feel guilt (although I can understand it). Just selling your guns off won't get rid of it, though.

That being said, no one can fault you, if your heart is simply not into shooting anymore. But it seems that feeling is more stemming from the tragic incident, and not just losing interest.

Talk to someone before getting rid of everything.

Just my .02.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. It really hurts and it's extremely confusing.

This is something I don't tell anyone.... really ever. My immediate family (household).... all serious suicide attempts, 2 of em... it nearly worked. Minutes to live. 3 of my best friends did it in Highschool I found one of em. It's not something you just get over. I've been in a lot of counseling for other stuff and that and I still don't really talk about it. Grief counseling is great if you're truly open to it. I wasn't at the time. I wish I would have been more open to it because I'm still really angry at them for it.

You can also talk to strangers and friends on here and also talk to your Pator, Priest, Rabbi etc. You have support.

If you want to sell your guns than do it. If you're not into it anymore for whatever reason than you're not. Maybe sell 1 and see how you feel. I dunno..

I spent my entire young adult life collecting and buying a great woodshop. Everything I need to make nice cabinets and dovetailed boxes etc. Never used it much. Finally got to the point that I got it how I want it and I moved to a house half the size. Moving again to a smaller house now. Gotta sell it. It's harder than you think.

I still go out to the garage and wax the cast iron every month. But they gotta go.

Take a deep breath and then decide what direction you want to take with guns. I had an aquaintance that had a ton of firearms. A member of his church lost a kid to a gun accident and Ben sold all his guns. Not even involved but it was what he needed to do.

I know I'm rambling but I hope that made sense.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Those who are left behind are the ones who need prayer.

You may want to hang on to your stuff even if you never shoot again. It may be something you

would like to pass along to the next generation of "Saigaczechs".

Good luck and God bless.

I still am sorry to hear about your loss. Nothing is as devistating as the loss of a loved one-especially at their own hands.

I think you've received some good advice here and I would echo that you need to seek professional help-even if you don't think you need it or your really not completely open to it.

Several years ago someone very close to me tried to commit suicide and it totally changed our lives forever. I went through counseling with them -even though I have never really believed in "psyco-babble". It was very helpful to us both.

Whatever you decide to do with the guns, you have to realize that loss of interest in things that you previously loved to do is the classic sign of depression.

Best of luck to you.

Spoon

The more you talk about it the more you come to accept it. In time of course. As far as your inventory: hold on to it for now put it on the back burner. And what ever you do don't off yourself or others if that's even remotely on your mind. Specially with a gun. It will leave another bad mark on guns + You just might miss. Seriously

Sorry about your loss

I was involved in a nasty car crash a few years ago and dropped out of my long time hobby of hotrod cars. I literally put the hoods down on the three cars and left them there. Just two weeks ago I popped the hood of one of them for the first time in two years and had it towed to a mechanic to get it running again. The problem? Post traumatic stress disorder. From a CRASH.

It's very possible that you have PTSD, or mild to moderate depression, since loss of interest in your hobbies is an indicator of both. Seek professional help and you'll be VERY glad you did.

Thanks guys, especially those that PMed me. I will go with the concensus here and keep everything, just will be locked tight. I am not having any "bad" thoughts of doing away with myself, just lost the desire to shoot right now. I appreciate the concern some of you have voiced. I guess all of you are right, if I sell it all off I will regret it later as I am sure some (if not all) of it will be irreplaceable. I have been collecting for the better part of a decade now and the last year or so weeded out a lot of stuff to get hard to get and soon to be banned stuff. The worst that will happen is that I will become very rich if I sell it down the road. Again, thanks for being here to keep me from doing I may regret.

To those concerned about my mental wellness, I appreciate your concern. I realize I am having major reactions to the loss of my friend and I am getting support.. It is just an unknown road with new potholes every few miles. I lost family and friends before, just not like this. I will get through it, just will take time. Again, thanks for the support and concern.

I have went thought a similar event. But to hold an inanimate object responsible for this tragedy is irrational. recognize that this is not a time and that most people think rationally and wait until you are in a better frame of mind for these decisions.

On a different note, They are not "all going to be illegal soon anyway" and no American should ever be willing to bow down to tyranny so quickly.

Edited by Azrial