12 round mags not 922r Compliant?

First off I didn't even know there was a 12 round mag out. I must be slipping.

But why the heck aren't 12 round mags they 922r compliant? (I'm guessing a spring or something isn't US made?)

Why didn't they make them like the 10 round mags? Are the 10 round mags compliant still?

So how does the 12 round mag make a stock saiga 12 non-compliant?

Does it not have the same parts as a 10 round mag?

Saigas are imported as "sporting purpose firearms".

When you slap a 10 or 12 round mag in a shotgun, the legislators have decreed that the weapon is no longer "sporting", and 922r must be complied with.

Same for a rifle, if you use any mag of 11 round capacity or higher.

If you want to use the aftermarket military type mags, adding a gas piston is a cheap and easy way to 922r compliance.

The 10 rnd mag throws the Saiga 12 out of compliance also...

The easy ways to get back to compliant:

Polychoke

US Gas Piston

US Foregrip

I was under the impression that the IZ-109 with threaded barrel contained 14 counted parts for 922r. Using a USA built Mag brings the count to 11. The simplest way to make it compliant by bringing the count down to 10 would then be to remove the thread protector on the end of the barrel. Yeah, I know... not the best idea, but it would work in a pinch if you want to go "test-fire" your new S12 while waiting on all the other USA made parts you'll surely have ordered already.

I've ordered stuff, but haven't got it yet, and will be going out tomorrow with the thread protector removed for a quick test-fire.

The 10 rnd mag throws the Saiga 12 out of compliance also...

The easy ways to get back to compliant:

Polychoke

US Gas Piston

US Foregrip

I was under the impression that the IZ-109 with threaded barrel contained 14 counted parts for 922r. Using a USA built Mag brings the count to 11. The simplest way to make it compliant by bringing the count down to 10 would then be to remove the thread protector on the end of the barrel. Yeah, I know... not the best idea, but it would work in a pinch if you want to go "test-fire" your new S12 while waiting on all the other USA made parts you'll surely have ordered already.

I've ordered stuff, but haven't got it yet, and will be going out tomorrow with the thread protector removed for a quick test-fire.

The IZ-109 has 15 countable parts.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

I don't believe a thread protector is considered a muzzle attachment. I think it's the threads themselves, with nothing welded over them, that push it up one more notch. It shouldn't matter whether you take it off or not. The gun has 14 countable parts including the threads (which open up the possibility of screwing on a Russian flash hider.....at least that's how I see it.

Thanks everyone learned more then I thought this time.

Maybe an admin could post the awesome link provided: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

So maybe people will be less confused with compliance.

Maybe more people could actually read the 922r subforum.

That link has been in it's own subforum there for some months, now.

Edited by nalioth

Maybe an admin could post the awesome link provided: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Buttons and check boxes seem more fun no?

I never said anything about buttons and checkboxes, just that the link you want the mods to post has ALREADY BEEN POSTED and is PRESENT IN IT'S OWN STICKY in our 922r section RIGHT FUC***G HERE

Edited by nalioth

I never said anything about buttons and checkboxes, just that the link you want the mods to post has ALREADY BEEN POSTED and is PRESENT IN IT'S OWN STICKY in our 922r section RIGHT FUC***G HERE

My fault didn't know there was a Tech Section Subforums. I was just meaning that would be a good link at the top of the saiga 12 forum, but I guess everything has it's place.

Thanks again

Crap, I need a foregrip. I totally forgot. So that I'm compliant without my muzzlebrake.

According to that chart, I'm at 7 parts (compliant) without my muzzlebrake, and 6 parts (more compliant) with it and if it counts as the attachment. I didn't realize that with a 5 round mag you weren't required to meet 922r. So that opens up 3 parts for me. I don't know how I figured I wasn't compliant, even with those other 3 parts. Hrm.

Crap, I need a foregrip. I totally forgot. So that I'm compliant without my muzzlebrake.

According to that chart, I'm at 7 parts (compliant) without my muzzlebrake, and 6 parts (more compliant) with it and if it counts as the attachment. I didn't realize that with a 5 round mag you weren't required to meet 922r. So that opens up 3 parts for me. I don't know how I figured I wasn't compliant, even with those other 3 parts. Hrm.

Hey Twinsen who are you trying to convince now ;-)

I didn't realize that with a 5 round mag you weren't required to meet 922r.

That's only the case if you leave the FCG and sporter stock on the gun. As soon as you convert to an AK "Pistol grip" you're part of the club. If you actually use the mag in your compliance count that could mean you are illegal to use the factory mags since it removes 3 compliance parts...

Hey Twinsen who are you trying to convince now ;-)

Well I put pictures up of it. So the internet and anyone watching. :nothing:

:rolleyes:"Aww shit! Quick! I need to get a U.S. made Flashlight and U.S. made Front Sight post in order to get compliant! What if I swap the cleaning kit with a Pro-Shot?"

Unfortunately this is how ridiculous this topic seems!

We all try and help each other here, but if we are going to Wikipedia for a definitive source of info before searching here, we are going to be in a lot of trouble.

All of this 922r information is posted multiple times on the forum (not just on the sticky). Even the online pictures of the Surefires show the welded-in U.S. flag. When someone posts a topic like this, it sends the wrong message to people that may not be as informed or read stuff here everyday. Maybe using the title "Are Surefire Mags 922r Compliant?", rather than making a statement with a question mark after it.

For example, a similar Topic Title is: "Reading Saiga 12 Forum Posts causes Instant Death in Babies?" :ded:

Note: Now I am guilty because I am bringing this post back to the top. Damnit!

For example, a similar Topic Title is: "Reading Saiga 12 Forum Posts causes Instant Death in Babies?" :ded:

That literally had me LOL! :D

Thanks for the heads up on the possible interpretations of the "barrel attachment" item for 922r. It doesn't seem logical that threads would meet the definition of "attachment," but better to be safe than sorry. I've seem more than one statute interpreted in a totally illogical manner, so I'll play the safe side on that one.

Thanks for the heads up on the possible interpretations of the "barrel attachment" item for 922r. It doesn't seem logical that threads would meet the definition of "attachment," but better to be safe than sorry. I've seem more than one statute interpreted in a totally illogical manner, so I'll play the safe side on that one.

Actually, "threads" aren't the concern, it's "capacity to accept a flash hider".

Do they make a flash hider for the Saiga-12? If not, threads wouldn't be a non-sporting feature.

The really dicey thing is that even if they do make one, it's up to ATF as to whether or not to consider the whole gun non-sporting over the presence of a non-sporting feature.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rFeatures

Rumor mill has it they're going to reclassify the S12's as destructive devices sooner or later though... sure hope that doesn't happen.

grammaton, there are two aspects of the flash suppressor.

1. Would the presence of a flash suppressor make the firearm nonsporting? If so, this means the entire firearm must comply with 922r (consist of no more than 10 parts as defined by the ATF.

2. Is a flash suppressor considered a muzzle attachment and thereby raise the parts count. I think it does. I'm not sure that other things that screw on do (choke tubes). BTW, Yes, there are foriegn/factory made slash suppressors (see rusmilitary.com - firearms - accessories about mid page).

OK, now I'm on a soapbox. Let me preface the stuff below by saying, I don't know anyone who has been busted soley on these type of infractions. But I don't intend to test those waters and what I write is to try and help others avoid them too. All of this stuff is My Opinion.

So, I don't know if we have an ATF created all inclusive list of what would take the Saiga12 out of the ranks of sporting firearm. What I've heard and accepted is that either a pistol grip or a mag > 5 rounds does so. This is implied because they allow them to be imported (and thereby in a sporting configuration) in that configuration. Maybe a flash suppressor will too?

RonSwin had first hand conversations where the ATF allowed EAA to import shotguns that way as long as they agreed to not import the full capacity mags (otherwise they'd clamp down) and I'd guess that RAA got the same treatment? To configure your shotgun into a non sporting (i.e. use full cap mags and/or pistol grips) you have to lower the foriegn parts count.

There is a well known letter where the ATF specified what the parts of a Saiga shotgun are. It was hosted over on soupbowl but that link seems dead. Anyways, long story short is that the shotgun isn't considered by the ATF to have a trunion (Answer was on ATF letter head over an ATF signature). As imported it has 13 parts.

Possible exception are the threads, I don't know where anyone has gotten a definative answer as to what a muzzle attachment is from the ATF (point me to the documentation if you know of it please, I'm curious). IF your bbl has threads and foriegn attachments (chokes?) then you MAY have a 14 part shotgun. I've always thought a muzzle attachment was a flash suppressor, possibly a compensator. So, the only way you'd have a 14 part gun is if you had a foriegn flashsuppressor. My bbl is internally threaded for rem chokes, so this doesn't bother me and I've never really researched it.

I'd NEVER consider using mags for 922r compliance if you are doing a pg conversion. If you do, you have not complied if you ever insert a foriegn made mag into the shotgun. In fact, owning foriegn mags could be construed as constructive intent and get you in trouble. Go the more accepted routes ... US stock, PG, FCG is the most typical. The piston and handguard can also be used.

I'm guessing that similar logic holds for the flash hider. If you install a US muzzle device, but still own a foriegn muzzle device then you could get nailed via constructive intent.

If converting, you are raising the part count by 1 (pistol grip) so make sure to account for it.

So, to summarize.

a.The wiki is NOT ACCURATE for saiga shotguns.

b.Mags can't be 922r compliant. They can be US made parts, and they can lower your parts count IF YOU DON'T EVEN OWN ANY FORIEGN MAGS.

b2. Muzzle devices might fall in the same class as MAGS.

c.Dragonwolf has the right idea. Springs don't count (body, floorplate and follower only).

d.Naolith had the best idea of all. Read the law, don't blindly rely on internet posers (me). Make sure you agree. Or, get yourself some good legal advice.

Now you all can paypal me .02 cents.