13 replies to this topic

#1 stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

I have a .410 Saiga coming my way and I want to cut the barrel down and put a muzzle device on it. the question is, how sensitive are the .410s to reductions in barrel length? I'd like to be able to cut it to around 16-17" (depending on how long Dinzag's .410 compensator is) and have total length be 18.25-18.5". Has anybody done something similar? I want to maintain reliability without having to mod the gas system.

Edited by stiletto raggio, 21 January 2009 - 11:15 AM.

"You know there's only one thing cooler than wearing bondage gear to the mall, and that's hating your parents!" -Klassy

#2 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

you could probably cut it to JUST past the front trunnion...

You just have to be REALLY careful when you pull the trigger that the expanding shot doesn't get you when the casing pops... you might want to invest in THICK welding gloves, and only fire it while hiding behind brick walls...

:lol:

:smoke:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#3 TR Young

TR Young

Zombie Milk Jug Slayer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Our moderators are soooo helpful..... :lolol:

Please help keep this great site up and running!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO BECOME A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER!

Law abiding, gun owning, tax paying, voting citizen. With Rottweilers.

#4 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

LOL I couldnt resist... I have just been in one of them moods... ya know?!?!?

The only problem with one THAT SHORT... Is it pretty much turns into a pump action... cause there is NO gas port... hell, theres nothing but the plastic shotshell casing hanging out the front of the gun 2" LOL

But its great to use if you are being mugged with people all AROUND you. you can get them all at once!!! :up:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#5 russianblood

russianblood

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

The only problem with one THAT SHORT... Is it pretty much turns into a pump action... cause there is NO gas port... hell, theres nothing but the plastic shotshell casing hanging out the front of the gun 2" LOL

But its great to use if you are being mugged with people all AROUND you. you can get them all at once!!! :up:

Don't they call that the Taurus Judge? :haha:
Posted Image

#6 ckritcoad

ckritcoad

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

Isn't Federal law 18"?

#7 Nwcid

Nwcid

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

Isn't Federal law 18"?

Yes and no.

For a shotgun your min length is 18". I think the OP was going to make the muzzle device non detachable so that it counts as part of the length.

If you wanted to fill out NFA paperwork for SBS (short barreled shotgun) you can have any length you want.
Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcholoic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

"Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of it's stated intent."

John

#8 G O B

G O B

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Use a paradox choke and weld it on just forward of the gasblock, toss the reciever and use a USA virgin one. Enjoy the pistol. Sorta like a real expensive to shoot .41 mag if you use slugs.

Sounds legal to me, but it your ass not mine, it would be bitchen!

Freelance Philosopher and Professor Emeritus, School of Hard Knocks and Sharp Blows to the Head

Be yourself, for if you are NOT yourself, then who the hell are you?

"so is the soap they use to brainwash you environmentally safe?" (Bucky Katt)

#9 ckritcoad

ckritcoad

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

Use a paradox choke and weld it on just forward of the gasblock, toss the reciever and use a USA virgin one. Enjoy the pistol. Sorta like a real expensive to shoot .41 mag if you use slugs.

Sounds legal to me, but it your ass not mine, it would be bitchen!

Is this what Tromix does?...I was curious how making an 8" barrel is legal.

#10 super jim

super jim

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

How short can you go before having to modify the gas system? I was thinking about a 12" - 14" barrel. Should it still cycle normal at that lenght?

#11 stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

How short can you go before having to modify the gas system? I was thinking about a 12" - 14" barrel. Should it still cycle normal at that lenght?

That is the root of my question. Anyone? And I am aware of NFA requirements.
"You know there's only one thing cooler than wearing bondage gear to the mall, and that's hating your parents!" -Klassy

#12 super jim

super jim

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=30680

#13 TonyRumore

TonyRumore

TonyRumore

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Jeez.....I don't know how many times I'm going to have to answer this question......The Saiga shotguns, of all gauges, are on the ragged edge of not running with standard off-the-shelf U.S. birdshot loads right out of the box.

Some guns may work cut down, but most will not.

Cutting it down ANY, is not a good idea unless other changes are made to the gas system.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Posted Image
Click here for the Tromix site!

You don't have to be good to succeed.....just better than everyone else.

#14 russianblood

russianblood

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

The Saiga shotguns, of all gauges, are on the ragged edge of not running with standard off-the-shelf U.S. birdshot loads right out of the box.

Ain't that the truth! I've had to modify my S-20 with a 10# 1911 recoil spring to get it to be somewhat reliable with cheap birdshot.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users