Stock Saiga-12 vs Concerted Saiga-12

Okay guys, before I say anything, I just want to get somethings stright.

Pistol grip = sexy

Chaos rail = sexy

DPH tri rail = sexy

Surefire fore-rail = sexy

Foreward- trigger group = sexy

Laser, light, red dot sight = sexy

Now the formalities is out of the way, let's cut the bulllshit.

Does a converted Saiga-12 actiually make any difference.

I've been using an Un-converted Saiga 12 for a while now. I'm talking about stright out of Russia in the box with the sporter stock.

AND i've played around with a converted Saiga-12.

I DID NOT notice any SIGNIFICANT difference in the performance of the weapon converted and un-converted. I can kill whatever I want to kill with a converted Saiga the same as I can with a un-converted Saiga.

Time to shoulder. Same.

Damage. Same.

Reload. Same.

Rapid shot controlability. Same.

I know how sexy a converted Saiga can get.

BUT. ALL BULLSHIT aside.

FUNCTIONALY. Does a converted Saiga make any difference?

Think of all the money you spend on the conversion. How many rounds can you buy with it to practice?

Anyone else feel the same way?

I think stright out the box the Saiga is a potent weapon as it is.

Don't F*ck with what works!

Edited by jma037

The #1 reason most people do a pistolgrip conversion is...... ::drumroll::

If you stick a 10 round mag in your stock shotgun, you are breaking the law because of 922r.

You cannot import a semi-auto shotgun that takes a magazine with a capacity greater than 5 rounds.

You also cannot make one from foreign parts.

BUT

If you subtract enough foreign parts and replace them with US made parts to get the

parts count down to 10 or less foreign parts then you are LEGAL.

The shotgun is no longer restricted by 922r.

There use to be only a handful of US made parts. Now there is a plethera of great quality

US made parts available. There are several routes you can go.

Bottom line is though, if you insert a mag that has a capacity greater than 5 in a factory stock

Saiga 12, then you are breaking the law.

If you have any questions feel free to IM me anytime.

LB

Here's the real bullshit: That the Russians had to butcher the original AK design to satisfy the bullshit unconstitutional requirement that it has to be a "sporting" arm to be imported. So reason #1, it's an insult.

#2 is that the relocated trigger has a bunch of bullshit linkage to get it to operate in it's incorrect place.

#3 is that the the balance is messed up with the grip and trigger moved back.

#4 is that if you leave it the way it is, then the anti-gun assholes win, and you are admitting defeat.

Add these to the other reasons that are well stated above.

Here's the real bullshit: That the Russians had to butcher the original AK design to satisfy the bullshit unconstitutional requirement that it has to be a "sporting" arm to be imported. So reason #1, it's an insult.

#2 is that the relocated trigger has a bunch of bullshit linkage to get it to operate in it's incorrect place.

#4 is that if you leave it the way it is, then the anti-gun assholes win, and you are admitting defeat.

What they said! ^

The original stock feels like garbage. I guess it works, but i wouldn't call it anything more than a bottom line. As soon as i grabbed it it creaked under grip. thats CHEAP. A PG not only feels right but helps reduce recoil by allowing the webbing of your thumb and index absorb some shock. throw that on top of a upgraded trigger group and we have a winner.

yeah it works out of the box, but the ergonomics are far from desirable. At a minimum i would recomend a different stock, even a wooden sporter stock would give it better balance.

If you shot a converted S-12 and DIDN'T notice the trigger pull being vastly improved, the FCG that was in the converted S-12 must have been absolute garbage. The FCG that I received from Dinzag reduced the poundage significantly and was so much more smooth that there was no comparison at all. The FCGs in the imported guns are awful.

I don't know about the others reasons but mine is quite simple.

This is a great new hobby for me. I have always enjoyed building

things and fixing things and the shooting sports. This just seems like a natural combination.

I only wish I had discover it long ago instead of what appears to be a couple months before it is outlawed. ( F#*@king liberals)

As Azrial said, other people's opinions shouldn't matter in your choice. I grew up with an M-16, so I vastly prefer the pistol-grip.

The only thing I want to add is that your converted Saiga will double in value after the AWB. The unconverted ones will not, since they are "sporting weapons" and therefore unaffected by the ban. You will not be able to legally convert your gun after the ban.

Does a converted Saiga-12 actiually make any difference.

I've been using an Un-converted Saiga 12 for a while now. I'm talking about stright out of Russia in the box with the sporter stock.

AND i've played around with a converted Saiga-12.

FUNCTIONALY. Does a converted Saiga make any difference?

Think of all the money you spend on the conversion. How many rounds can you buy with it to practice?

Anyone else feel the same way?

I think stright out the box the Saiga is a potent weapon as it is.

Don't F*ck with what works!

Actually that one straight out of the box is the converted Saiga. They have to convert it to "sporting configuration" in order to be able to import them. Adding that mickey mouse linkage in order to move the trigger back, just adds a bunch of unnecessary moving parts. We are really unconverting them back to their original design configuration. This much improves the balance as far as I'm concerned.

Actually that one straight out of the box is the converted Saiga. They have to convert it to "sporting configuration" in order to be able to import them. Adding that mickey mouse linkage in order to move the trigger back, just adds a bunch of unnecessary moving parts. We are really unconverting them back to their original design configuration. This much improves the balance as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, that's why it should be called a "restoration" when you un-convert it.

If you have a pistol grip stock on the gun you can have an sorter length of pull. I dont' mean that the stock can collapse & it can be shorter. What I mean is the minimum usable lengnth of a telestock is less than the minimum usable length of a old timey stock. This is b/c w/ a pistol grip stock, you can put your nose right behind the receiver, as it were w/ your "nose to the charging handle", whereas w/ an old timey stock your the closest you can plant your nose it behind your hand.

Now this means two things:

1. the guns OAL can be less which has some usefulness in CQB

2. the gun will be easier to hold up in front of you b/c its weight will be closer to your body. This is especially useful if you are holding the gun in more of a "tactical shooting stance" where you are more square to your target than a traditional stance where your body is more bladed. Thus you will not fatigue as easily w/ the weapon at the shoulder

[though of course, in a gun fight you hold it however you can from behind cover]

The other benefit it that the weapon can be more compact for storage/transport etc.

You can sort of get the benefit of the shorter LOP w/ the bolt on PG collapsible stocks. One of mine has a Tapco collapsible stock on it. I leave the stock all the way collapsed & shoot NTCH.

I should point out though that w/ the stock all the way collapsed, when I try to shoot in a more traditional target stance, I cant keep the butt from slipping off my shoulder. Its kind of hard to explain but the problem is that my storng hand it too close to my strong shoulder so my shoulder doesn't stick out far enough to serve as a good rest for the butt. If the pistol grip has been moved forward this is not a problem so I can effectively shoulder the weapon w/ the stock all the way collapsed whether I am shooting in a Tactical or Target type posture. So, getting a gun converted is definitely ideal.

At least get a tapco stock for it so that it will be grandfathered in case of a ban.

+1000 , ya hit the nail right on the head.

Of course, its your gun so do what ya want with it.

I had my 19" stock S-12 for a while before I sent it to Tony for Tromixization.

What a pathetic thing the stock, unconverted gun was, as a shotgun. Virtually any other U.S. semiauto shotgun had a better trigger, better balance, better sights, and better feel.

The Tromix end product is so much better, to me there's no debate or comparison.

This is kinda like saying what's the difference between a 54 year old obese fugly woman and a hot, tight 22 year old in bed. Sure, the actual "equipment" might feel the same in the dark, but dude, if that's all that mattered . . .

+1000 with what pedal2 said. And most others to be honest. To conform to unconstitutional regulations is HORSE SHIT. I would much rather have the real deal and dare the mother fuckers to take it away................... On point, its your gun and your cash, do as only you see fit. I however much prefer my converted siaga. The feel the performance and the down right nasty nature she has is second to none...........I'm locked and loaded boys.

DT

Sig line material right there! :) well said.

I agree in making a gun all that it can be, but lets be serious here guys; balance, creep, poundage, and any other trigger pulling arguement you can come up with is crap. These are not 500 yard precision sniper rifles, they are shotguns. Point it over there, pull the trigger, and blow away whats over there. I am willing to bet that over 90% of you guys just wail out rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger. Unless you are shooting a (longer than anything ever to be confused with tactical) rifled barrel, at targets 100 yards away, I doubt that you are getting any benefit from any of the improvements you are citing. Don't get me wrong, mine is one of those converted, belt them out as fast as I can pull the trigger, machines of destruction too, but I do own a G3 clone converted to PRS specs with all the adjustment enhancements I can afford, and on it, I do appreciate the adjustable trigger's benefits.

Edited by myndseye
I agree in making a gun all that it can be, but lets be serious here guys; balance, creep, poundage, and any other trigger pulling arguement you can come up with is crap.

You can question trigger function all you want, but I can't see how you can question the difference in balance and handling. Especially in any situation other than shoulder mounted. In a HD or room clearing situation the PG style is much more maneuverable in my book.

I'm going to agree with pedal2 also. I converted mine after the first trip to the range. I had decided I'd give it a chance before converting but I had previously converted my x39 and right away I noticed the sloppy trigger and less balanced feel. The gun works in stock form but it works sooo much better converted that it is WELL worth it to me.

Besides, the cost was not that much....

Tromix modded trigger group: 50 bux

Tromix Diy Trigger Guard: 50 bux

Pistol Grip: 20 bux

T6 Stock: 50 bux

Taking that bad ass piece of machinery out of your rifle bag at the range and having everyone come over to drool all over it...PRICELESS!!! lol...well cleaning the drool off is not soo cool but you get the idea!!

Edited by Prodge

Yes it definitely looks 10 times better than the stock sporter. There are lots of good reasons. Personally, being new to rifles/shotguns in general. I first picked up my S12 just to have something other than a pistol in the house for whatever might happen. Plus it's a fun hobby and know others who shoot. So plan on getting good use out of it for years to come. My personal reason for jumping in and converting it myself was to become familiar and comfortable with all aspects of it. Taking apart, handling, understanding how it works, etc.. Has been a great learning process (as is being on these boards) and would recommend anyone doing it on their own with a few tools and are comfortable working on things on their own.

Plus I get to truly make it MINE MINE MINE.

I started out vowing to leave mine factory. Then I put a russian made thumbhole stock on it. But the trigger was not what I wanted, and I wanted to legally be able to use hi cap mags in my shotty. Once you get started, its hard to stop, be forewarned.

Besides, the cost was not that much....

Tromix modded trigger group: 50 bux

Tromix Diy Trigger Guard: 50 bux

Pistol Grip: 20 bux

T6 Stock: 50 bux

With the excepton of the tri-rail that I bought from DPH, mine cost me $0

Everything else I found by scrounging around the shop for parts left over from previous AK builds and spares. :D