Looking for a cheap saiga bayonet? Look here!

This is the new Saiga 12 limited edition bayonet! Retails for about $30

This only works with a Saiga 12 with a threaded barrel. The bayonet slips over the threads and stops were the thread stop. You can either put on your thread protector or poly choke in my case and it holds the bayonet firm in place. No alterations to the gun and no gunsmith needed! (Just be sure you don't scratch your barrel.) Works great! I've included pictures below.

Bay1.JPG

Bay2.JPG

If you would like to pick one up this is the link where I bought mine.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=ARR-035

I think there might be a typo on that page but just ignore it. It says something like AR-15 / M16. I think that is the Russian words for the measurements of the Saiga 12 barrel. I could be wrong, either way it works!

Oh ya knife from the link above will require sharpening.

Edited by Joeddox
This is the new Saiga 12 limited edition bayonet! Retails for about $30

This only works with a Saiga 12 with a threaded barrel. The bayonet slips over the threads and stops were the thread stop. You can either put on your thread protector or poly choke in my case and it holds the bayonet firm in place. No alterations to the gun and no gunsmith needed! (Just be sure you don't scratch your barrel.) Works great! I've included pictures below.

Bay1.JPG

Bay2.JPG

If you would like to pick one up this is the link where I bought mine.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=ARR-035

I think there might be a typo on that page but just ignore it. It says something like AR-15 / M16. I think that is the Russian words for the measurements of the Saiga 12 barrel. I could be wrong, either way it works!

Oh ya knife from the link above will require sharpening.

It might be OK with just the thread protector on but it still needs a lug or some way to lock down the butt end.

redgreen.jpg

Edited by DogMan
It might be OK with just the thread protector on but it still needs a lug or some way to lock down the butt end.

redgreen.jpg

Nope doesn't need bayonet lug. I've stuck some sandbags. Doesn't wobble at all or shift at all as long as the thread protector/poly choke is on tight. There is no way for it to slide down the barrel the opening on the bayonet isn't big enough unless maybe it was hit by a truck, even then I think the blade would brake before it slide down the barrel.

redgreen.jpg

Nope doesn't need bayonet lug. I've stuck some sandbags. Doesn't wobble at all or shift at all as long as the thread protector/poly choke is on tight. There is no way for it to slide down the barrel the opening on the bayonet isn't big enough unless maybe it was hit by a truck, even then I think the blade would brake before it slide down the barrel.

OK , well then thats some pretty good improvisation you did there. Knowiing the forward ring fits perfectly makes me want to look at other m16 compatible bayonets to see if there is one that would extend farther out past the choke. This one seems a little short with the choke on but I'm sure it would be effective. Ideally, I'd still like to see some kind of lug but it sounds surprisingly stable without one.

Looks kind of familiar....

Here's how I did mine.

post-1293-1232811107_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811248_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811159_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811267_thumb.jpg

You are correct though...this way is sufficient to hold it tight if you don't have a lug. The shoulder of the barrel behind the threads will keep it from sliding back. An elevated front sight like this one from Dinzag Arms, helps even more.

post-1293-1232811346_thumb.jpg

Thats the way to do it! If it is a serious bayonet setup you most definately need a LUG.

Anything else is going to create scratches and gouges in the barrel with true extreme use. If it

is just for looks you will be okay.

LB

Looks kind of familiar....

Here's how I did mine.

post-1293-1232811107_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811248_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811159_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1232811267_thumb.jpg

You are correct though...this way is sufficient to hold it tight if you don't have a lug. The shoulder of the barrel behind the threads will keep it from sliding back. An elevated front sight like this one from Dinzag Arms, helps even more.

post-1293-1232811346_thumb.jpg

Maybe I will have to make a video of me stabbing some stuff for the none believers!

It's on so good its hard to get off. Specially with the polychoke. The position of the wrench make it difficult. If shooting some shells threw it and stabbing a sandbag doesn't make it loose what will?

Also if you notice without a lug the bayonet aims a few degrees downwards which is way I wasn't worried about any shot hitting it, even though I know shot won't spread that much at that short distance. However with a bayonet lug it would be higher up and might hit something? (Just making cons for a bayonet lug :-p)

Honestly if someone wanted they could put a lug on with a bit of welding.

Also I can see a longer bayonet being cool but anyone using it for home deffense I think shorter size would be better. Unless everyone in your family also has long bayonets weapons and you defend your home in a phalanx formation. I imagin that could be pretty effective except versing Romans.

I want to know why you would be worried about scratching your barrel if you were using it, with bayonet mounted, in "true extreme use." I think if I'm engaged in "true extreme use" with my S12, I am not giving two shits about a scratch under the barrel.

Maybe I will have to make a video of me stabbing some stuff for the none believers!

It's on so good its hard to get off. Specially with the polychoke. The position of the wrench make it difficult. If shooting some shells threw it and stabbing a sandbag doesn't make it loose what will?

Also if you notice without a lug the bayonet aims a few degrees downwards which is way I wasn't worried about any shot hitting it, even though I know shot won't spread that much at that short distance. However with a bayonet lug it would be higher up and might hit something? (Just making cons for a bayonet lug :-p)

Honestly if someone wanted they could put a lug on with a bit of welding.

Also I can see a longer bayonet being cool but anyone using it for home deffense I think shorter size would be better. Unless everyone in your family also has long bayonets weapons and you defend your home in a phalanx formation. I imagin that could be pretty effective except versing Romans.

Just be sure and include some pumpkins!

:lolol:

I want to know why you would be worried about scratching your barrel if you were using it, with bayonet mounted, in "true extreme use." I think if I'm engaged in "true extreme use" with my S12, I am not giving two shits about a scratch under the barrel.

Well of coarse Wheel if I'm defending myself I don't care if a gun gets scratched.

The scratching I'm worried about is that its on so tight when I try to loosen the poly choke I think it might want to spin with it. I think the safest way to take it off is with a padded vice on the bayonet. It seems without a vice that it might leave a ring around the barrel scratch if not careful.

Also from my experience it seems that zombies are attracted to scratches on guns for some reason. So I try to keep my gun scratches to a minimum.

Don't count me as a non-believer, I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I think you're on to something cool here. But most of the time a few tweaks here and there can turn a good thing into a great thing.

Here's mine.

saigabayo1.jpg

Yep, thats how to do it! Very Nice!

Having a single attachment only predicates the bayonet blade pivoting on its single axis point and crimping the end of the barrel shut with a hard strike. That would render the gun useless.

Having a single attachment only predicates the bayonet blade pivoting on its single axis point and crimping the end of the barrel shut with a hard strike. That would render the gun useless.

What the hell are you stabbing at that is going to bend the front of 12 gauge barrel? :haha:

Also notice he has a different bayonet. Is that lug welded on?

What the hell are you stabbing at that is going to bend the front of 12 gauge barrel? :haha:

Also notice he has a different bayonet. Is that lug welded on?

Let's see...if you were to accidentally fall, that could cause a bayonet induced crimp in the barrel. If you were forced to do a French drill and toss your weapon because you're completely surrounded, that could crimp the barrel. If you were to take a shot at stabbing a moving vehicle, armored or otherwise, that could put a crimp in the barrel.

You're safe to stab sand bags and have it propped next to you when at the keyboard though...carry on. :devil:

To all the doubters out there, mount a bayonet on the end of your S12 in the manner of the OP and lend me your shotgun for 5 minutes. I will then show you how it will crimp the end of the barrel. :lol:

There is a reason the damn things have two (2) mounts. But hey, stick yours on there with duck tape and rubber bands for all I care! It is most likely, "good enough" for you anyway.

S& J Hardware out of Canada has one interned for the 870 that could be made to fit. Tho one on their web-page braces off the mag tube, but they had another design that just mounted to the barrel.

Shotguns with bayonets mounted were a favorite tool in Vietnam for "probing" and turning over debris while looking for hiding after-action survivors. One usage would be to penetrate corrugated metal. I still have a Remington Military mount or two designed for a 870 Remington. One is installed on my old modified Remington 1100, but I have never had a "practical" use for it.

S& J Hardware out of Canada has one interned for the 870 that could be made to fit. Tho one on their web-page braces off the mag tube, but they had another design that just mounted to the barrel.

Azrial,,

exactly, that is what I got from S&J and the hole with lug is bigger, but I used some heat resistant material to fill it in so it fits snuggly and tightens down securely. I plan on "flipping" it. i.e. cut lug off large hole and weld onto small hole then trim off large hole part. It does add a lot of weight to the front end though which I don't really like. Also the way it is in my photo it doesn't interefere with the iron sights. I thought of turning it sideways and using other hole for a flashlight.

Edited by jacknast76

Believe me, I dont sweat scratches on my S12... (alot of ppl do though). I would be more worried about gouging the barrel deep

or worse. Poking some sandbags does not really "test" a bayonet setup. If you like it without a lug, go for it man !! Dont let me rain

on your parade.

Go YUT, YUT and have fun!

LB

Wow you guys must all have got the different version of saigas then me. I guess mine is version 2 cause mine won't bend at the barrel from a bayonet stabbing something. On mine the blade would break before the barrel would bend. Maybe you guys should send your saiga's back to the factory and they can install the new cool version 2 barrels that I apparently have. Don't feel bad I'm sure they will still look good hanging on your walls. Just be sure not to hold your saiga by the barrel you don't want to bend it they sound pretty delicate. Might want to paint the barrels pink along with some flowers and butterflies just for good measure.

Also ML Roak how is your lug attached? Where did you get it? More info would be great.

Wow you guys must all have got the different version of saigas then me. I guess mine is version 2 cause mine won't bend at the barrel from a bayonet stabbing something. On mine the blade would break before the barrel would bend. Maybe you guys should send your saiga's back to the factory and they can install the new cool version 2 barrels that I apparently have. Don't feel bad I'm sure they will still look good hanging on your walls. Just be sure not to hold your saiga by the barrel you don't want to bend it they sound pretty delicate. Might want to paint the barrels pink along with some flowers and butterflies just for good measure.

Also ML Roak how is your lug attached? Where did you get it? More info would be great.

You just stated that your barrel cannot be damaged like the rest of the crap barrels on our sorry shotguns and then you ask about getting a lug anyway? Make up you mind. :rolleyes:

Well, as far as I can see, the only way to settle this pissing contest is for both sides to submit their entry, and have each design torture tested by an independent party.

I volunteer, I am an FFL, and can receive your firearms, decide what tests you want to do, sand bags up to sheet metal, and I will do them, video and photograph each, and we can see what damage is done to each design.

Till either side wants to pony up a weapon and bayonet combo, I am calling "BULLSHIT" because I don't believe any of you have the balls to put your money where your mouth is......

smellslikebsvx8.jpg

Edited by frick
  • 10 months later...

Well, I had forgotten about this thread but I wanted to do a follow up to say that I've went through the process months ago with an M9 and there is no question you need a lug. I don't care how tight you torgue down that barrel nut to prevent wobble you still have that one major stress point and I'm not even interested in finding out how easy it would be to crimp the barrel. There is no reason to go there. The Dinzag lug works perfect. And while the M9 may not be the sexiest bayonet to some, I think its the perfect bayonet for the S12. Its not too long, has a stout blade, and to me it looks great.