My Saiga conversion

I am a big fan of a classic AK look, but on this one I decided to go "unconvensional" as the .308 Saiga isn't really conventional AK.

Thinking of adding a Galil style safety later.

The 4 position stock is the 3rd stock I have had on this rifle. The first one was TAPCO folder (somewhat cheesy), then I had the ACE ARFX Ar-15 stock (too long)on it.

The PG is ACE Galil look alike.

Edited by vit
Hey vit , did you have to relocate the Trigger for the PG ? And does that slide stock bolt right up or did you have to tig weld that ? Very nice btw.

If Vit doesn't mind me answering for him... Yes he did a PG conversion, otherwise it wouldn't fit. Just compare the trigger locations from his picture to a stock model. The stock is an AR-15 collapsable stock attached with a receiver adapter sold by ACE and Blackjack Buffers. It attaches with a couple screws.

Edited by RooK
Hey vit , did you have to relocate the Trigger for the PG ? And does that slide stock bolt right up or did you have to tig weld that ? Very nice btw.

If Vit doesn't mind me answering for him... Yes he did a PG conversion, otherwise it wouldn't fit. Just compare the trigger locations from his picture to a stock model. The stock is an AR-15 collapsable stock attached with a receiver adapter sold by ACE and Blackjack Buffers. It attaches with a couple screws.

Thank you.

The adapter came from Blackjack. One small problem. I have been shooting the gun with a 4x scope since before the addition of the Ar stock. Today went to the range and took the scope off to find that I can't get the irons to line up with my eye. Need to rethink this a little. The ARFX stock was just fine. Maybe I need to look into one of those new "no block" ACE sidefolders.

Personally... I would just stick with optics, and leave the irons alone for pure "LOOK FACTOR"

That front handguard is the BOMB DIGGETY!!!!

I LOVE THAT!!!! VERY COOL!!!!!

EXCELLENT JOB, dude!!!!!

:smoke:

that's very similar to something I was thinking of doing.... This would look very cool with cuts in the forend like a dragunov, and a chote stock on a 22" BBL.

Anyway, how did you affix the forend? Did it require a lot more than just simple reshaping of the plastic? It looks like a pin is used to hold the front portion on... did you have to buy that seperate?

Also, Redstar Arms sells a AR buttstock adapter, does anyone know if it's good?

-Thanks

Thanks Rook and Vit. I figured as much after I looked at the picture I compared to my stock piece.

I got the stock and adapter from Blackjack, it is same one as the one on RSA site just little less $. Works fine with the scope, but with irons I have to tilt my head over the stock to get the whole thing to line up. This wouldn't be too bad on x39,but is somewhat painful with .308. It only needs to be about 1/2" lower.

Saw a similar stock set up in the TAPCO catalog and it seems to be a little lower. I could also get the "no tang" block and AR adapter from ACE. Or a whole different stock. Not a big deal. Got other things to worry about-my '03 SAR-1 developed trigger slap from sitting around. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The FAL forearm was a little more work than I had first planed.

The back of stock was milled as seen in pic. A piece of steel was added as a tang.

101rear_of_h-guard-med.JPG

The front got the grooves for the retainer pi just like the Saiga polymer h-guard. I did have to make a longer pin from a drill bit shaft.

101front_of_h-guard-med.JPG

101new_pin-med.JPG

Haven't had any problems after 500+ rounds.

Vit