I don't recall the asking price, they won't post it on the website.

Here's an M series review that speaks highly of the Steyr pistols.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/steyr40.htm

The XD has probably pulled far ahead due to marketing and the Springfield name carrying it along. They did do a good job on it, though I doubt GLOCK is too afraid with the strong following they have from law enforcement.

The new Ruger is freakin awesome. We can't keep them in stock, much like the Five-seveN. If you haven't seen one up close, be prepared, it hardly looks like the old style.

The sigma kicks like a mule!!!

The steyrs on the market now are the last of the old versions, a new version is due out any time. I have not heard a bad thing about steyr. Most people really like them. Alot of people on the springfield XD board also own steyrs. We are the anti-glock club.

If you buy one let the rest of us know how they shoot. Can't pass up a good sub $300 gun.

Edited by Bigfoot Wallace

I have the Steyr M40 and it is the finest pistol I've ever shot. Those with more experience consider it among the best and certainly the best for the money.

Get one cheap while you still can because they're supposed to cost much more.

The Smith Sigma is different. Has no manual safety, has the crappiest trigger safety, and I have yet to see one with a straight accessory rail. Past owners all say it's a jamomatic.

I have shot my cousins Sigma 40 some, I don't have another 40 to compare too, but recoil wasnt out of line. Most people dont like the triggers on them. Double action only, it's different. Long, non linear with a fairly mushy break. It can be got used to, but some people dont want to. Its reliable, never even hiccuped through a few hundred rounds of the cheapest stuff we could find, and feels pretty good to hold as well as being cheap enough to buy.

Myself, I went with a used Ruger P95 9mm, I liked it better and it was just as inexpensive or even less when shopping.

Edited by Onepoint

Ugh I would buy a steyr except I'm going over my money allotment.

Additionally I have pretty large hands and the steyr just isn't quite meaty enough for me.

I just bought a lightly 10mm compact for a CCW.

If they steyr came in 10mm though...I just have something for that cartridge.

I didn't realize they had a lock. I was against the idea when I saw a new Rem 870, but I don't know if I wouldn't buy one for that reason.

I like guns that are on the outside of the norm, a little unique, not what everyone else has. I did the Ruger 10/22 thing and while it is a good little gun, it's still the popular choice( that was why I bought it then). I have changed my ways and while I like good functional guns, I like to go for the unique or out of the norm firearms. I wanted a shotgun so instead of a rem 870 or moss 500 I got a Beretta AL391 Urika( great gun but not your daddies pump!) I need a pig /brush gun and got an SKS( not a lever 30-30) I wanted a deer rifle and in came the Saiga 308( really throws the bolt action crowd for a loop!) I don't know if the styer fits the bill or not for me but I do enjoy the discussion. ( I wonder if it is time for a Mateaba, yet?!?)

matebaautorevolver_new.jpg

Naaah, maybe not!

The sights on the M40 really got my attention...for those of you who haven't seen them, it has a triangle shaped front sight and a matching rear sight, both in a white "dot" style.

As for child safety locks, many companies are doing it now and it doesn't bother me. Some weapons like new HKs have them hidden really well, unlike say a Taurus Mellinium. It makes them look like responsible gun makers to purchasers with kids and to people who don't have any guns. Just ignore them.

Here in Maryland all new handguns MUST have built in locks. That is why I will NEVER buy one. If it was voluntary I would consider it a good idea, but since it is MANDATORY I will never buy one! I like the older weapons anyway, the only thing that I buy new are SAIGAS!

G O B

I am not worried about a buddy doing it. It was simply 2 examples how a built in lock system is bad. So what dont you get?

I don't have any "faith" in a lock either, so I won't take the chance of having one built in on a weapon that can lead to it being a expensive paper weight.

I savy now. I wasn't even thinking that way. I am not a pistol carrying kinda guy, yet. I still have alot to learn and I am not totaly convinced I need a ccw liscense. I don't know if that is the rout I need to take. Both my parents have ccw permits but I don't have the same concerns as they do. Mine would be more for home D and sidearm for hunting or field work.

Are there any statewide laws in Texas concerning open/unconcealed carry or are they on a city by city ordinance case?

I don't have a CCW either. I think that the type of pistol you want to carry, usually a compact, is usually different than a plinker or home defense pistol. But still I like to keep things simple and a built in lock is not simplifying the design any.

Wow, I thought everyone in Texas carried a gun :unsure: But hey, if you don't feel comfortable or feel it necessary, that's your call.

As for the internal locks, simple is best, sure, but if you have a good quality gun, it seems unlikely the lock will somehow malfunction and leave you defenseless.

If you think your buddy glueing the lock is bad, just think if he glued the firing pin in the "fired" position and you let your slide go forward on a full mag. :blink:

I carry a long gun just not a pistol, yet. Shotgun, Saiga-308, or my SKS are usualy in my truck on the weekends. I go straight to work during the week and have no need or time to to keep a gun with me at work. 10 hours a day and then right back home again. I am moving outside of town onto 19 acres so I was thinking about an unconcealed carry arm for outside work for snakes and the occasional varment or stray dog.