Surefire mags will not fit my rifle

I just received five 20rd Saiga magazines for my .308. When I trying to insert the mag. Their isnt enough room for the magazine latch to close. Almost like their is too much plastic on the "male" part of the magazine, under where the mag latch catches.... Ive read about people having tight fitting Surefire mags. This is far more extreme.

I just received five 20rd Saiga magazines for my .308. When I trying to insert the mag. Their isnt enough room for the magazine latch to close. Almost like their is too much plastic on the "male" part of the magazine, under where the mag latch catches.... Ive read about people having tight fitting Surefire mags. This is far more extreme.

I've got 25rd and 20rd Surefire MAGs for my Saiga 308.

No problem with inserting or releasing the MAGs.

Tight, but sold fitting. :unsure:

Sometimes a very small amount of material may need to be removed from the rear locking tab of the magazine. Also, I had a Surefire 25-round mag whose feed lips pushed against the underside of the bolt-carrier guide rails at the front, making it very difficult to insert. I left the mag inserted for a few days, and that solved the problem.

I remember hearing that when Suarez International did their guerrilla sniper class where many hundreds of rounds are fired in dirty field conditions , those "Saiganovs" that used non-factory mags had nothing but problems. SI recommends against aftermarket Saiga 308 mags for this class due to experiencing so many reliability issues.

I compared the Surefire mag, with my original mag. I could not see any reason why the Surefire mag wouldnt lock in place.

After I got frustrated with filing small amounts of plastic away.... I brutalized the mag into place. The rest of Surefire mags needed the same treatment, to break-in.

Thanks for the advice.

My wife JUST bought me my second Saiga in .308 YES!!! and a couple of Surefire 25 rounders...they snap in good and tight like they were meant to be there.....did I tell y'all that my wife just bought me a new 21".308? :super::super::super:

When it comes to AKs, I never make the mag fit the gun, I make the gun fit the mag.

You said that all your mags are having the same problem. That sounds like you need to open up that spot just below the mag catch with a drum sanding bit on a dremel.

I have had to do that before on my AKs. Much better to make the gun fit the factory mags than make the mags fit the gun.

Otherwise you will end up with mags taht only can be used in your gun and your gun might still only accept altered mags.

Just something to think about.

On my Saiga 223 I had same problem. I got lucky and got a metal 30 rounder that fits perfectl. i got 2 Surefire 30 rounders at the same time, one fit pretty well, the other wouldnt lock in. Therefore I filed on the locking tab just a bit. It doesnt take much. I was afraid that if a ground on the locking lever on the gun, the good fitting mags wouldn fit good anymore.