Chaos Vertical Grip

I received a Chaos grip for testing a while back from Cameron... I must say... these are incredibly done works of machining!!!

Unfortunately, I do not have ANY firearms with a forward rail on the to USE such a grip... I DO however have a friend of mine that competes locally, and does have the ability to use such an item... I gave it to him upon the conditions that he give me some field testing reports and his pro's and con's of the grip... Here is what he had to say...

Subject: Chaos Vertical Grip

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:22:40 -0500

Hey Mike,

I hope this is your correct email address! My phone crapped out on me, so I am going on memory here. I passed off that vert grip you gave me to a buddy of mine who used it for awhile, then gave it back to me so I could put some rounds downrange with it. The general consensus on the grip......Very Nice! We ran it on our AR15 carbines, both equipped with Yankee Hill free floated 4 rail hand guards. The design of the Chaos vertical grip follows one of my favorite styles, much like the Knights Armament Company(KAC) with the screw/plug on the bottom allowing you to remove it at will, with no tools. Typically a vert grip of this style is a polymer of some sort, or just plain plastic. While the aluminum construction is going to give a metric butt ton more strength, I found that when mated aluminum/aluminum like it was on our carbines with parkerized aluminum fore ends, it had a tendency to loosen. This was not a constant problem, but it happened a couple of times, no big deal. The overall fit and finish on this grip is fantastic, very smooth and refined. Very impressed! If I were to custom order one of these in any way I wanted, this is what I would do...

*Matte finish

*Texturing/stippling

*Some sort of rubber O-ring/stop plate on the rail side?

*Option for a mini model, half the length.

While it is called a "grip", it really isn't utilized as such. More like an index point along the bore, which allows you to snap on target. This is why I usually prefer an option for a shorter grip. I hold it much like a two handed pistol stance with a thumbs forward grip. Your hands have a great spatial relationship with your body as well as your surroundings. As an example, most people can point at an object without using their eyes to align their fingers. Take this concept, use a thumb forward grip with your thumbs parallel to the bore(carbine, shotgun, pistol) and you will find a "natural point" on/toward target without sight searching. Gripping it like a handle fails to provide lateral stability needed to acquire multiple targets or just one sight picture from a ready position, you often have over-travel past the target. I'd hate to use the term "point shooting" but that is pretty much what it comes down to. In any force on force engagements I have experienced, I have found that sights are not used. The gun is pressed out using your arms and hands, that spatial relation to the target. This is where that vert grip comes in, solid and well placed on the weapon.

Tom

Cameron, I dunno if any of this will help in your continued pursuit of the perfect weapon additions... but there is some unbiased feedback from someone who knows nothing about Chaos, the Saiga forum or anything... They were handed a grip and were told to " test it, abuse it, put it through all the paces you can... and let me know what you and everyone else thinks about it"

I hope this write up is helpful to someone... :up: I am just glad that someone could get to use a very well crafted item that I could not...

Cameron... Keep up the good work!!! :up: :up:

Also are a few pics of the rifle it was mounted on, and what hes talking about...

arindexgrip_copy.jpg

arEE_030.jpg

:smoke:

OK, so that is how I felt when using a vertical forward grip, but could never put into those words.

I always figured a "nubbin" would be good enough for me,...

Hmm,, I do see a use for actually holding onto it while parachuting or, lets say white water river rafting, or some activity where a PG would give you that extra to hang onto,..

Sounds like Cameron might do well to design/make a "Shorty" style grip... about 1/2 to 3/4 the length... :up:

I bet it would be easy with the existing design in the modeling software to remove the mid section, and bring the top and bottom together... Boom! Done! Shorty grip! LOL ( ok... its probably NOT that easy... but it sounds good! LOL )

:smoke:

I second the "shorty" version.

I've got a Spikes "stubby" vertical grip, and I love it.

I'd definitely be in for a Chaos "stubby", if one were produced, being that I use them as Indy's buddy mentioned. Not to actually hold completely in your fist. I have the "Magpul Dynamics: Art of the Tactical Carbine" DVD set, and Costa advises to use the grip in the same way as mentioned above :up: .

• 9 months later...