reloading berdan primed brass

If posted or asked before sorry but could not find it. Wanting to know that yes i can reload once fired brass with a berdan primer but can you reload and use a boxer primer instead of the berdan primer? Meaning i deprime the berdan primer and then resize and insert a boxer primer. Can this work or do i need to find berdan primers? thanks for any info.

Technically yes you could, good luck getting out the berdan primers. Once you got the primer out you would have to resize the pocket and do something with the dual flash holes, then drill a center flash hole, then insert a boxer primer, pray, and it should work. It really just doesn't seem worth it. I just toss the berdan stuff in the scrap brass box.

-E

As Norseman said. Also Berdan cases have an integral anvil built into the case primer pocket, you would need to machine that down flat. Boxer cases do not have this feature and the primer contains the anvil. Further the size of the Berdan case primer pocket is bigger then boxer primers (probably a safeguard against stupidity) so the primer would fall out even if you did all the preceeding stuff, would need to crimp[ed in or something. I looked into the possibility of reloading Berdan primed military 308 a few years ago, hated to waste good brass, but found the technical challenges to expensive to bother. Just FYI.

Edited by Saigaczech