Saiga 12 Bullpup

I've fired the 7.62 version and they're junk. The trigger works via a cable or a rod, I forget which. Real gritty even when clean. There are far better ways to customize your Siaga shotgun.

few years back a picture was posted here of a muzzlelite stock modded to fit the S-12 dont remember there be a demo video, maybe a mockup, maybe not -looked cool for sure!

This is what I found when I searched recently:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Groza/bullpups.htm

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=23817&hl=

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...285&hl=bull

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22356

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=29082

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9637

I think that it would be cool. I thought about doing it but I don't know anyone in plastics. Just machinists, it would cost way to much to do for me.

• 1 month later...
I've fired the 7.62 version and they're junk. The trigger works via a cable or a rod, I forget which. Real gritty even when clean. There are far better ways to customize your Saiga shotgun.

My kVAR Bullpup kit is has neither a gritty trigger pull, nor is of "junk" construction. You apparently don't know that much about them since you are not sure of how the trigger actually works. I built my with a Norinco Mac 90 but it has a hard (about 7 Lbs) crisp trigger. The one you fired had obviously been built by someone less skilled.

The one fellow that I recall on here that actually built one seemed to have some issues with the size of the S12 being a little on the large size for the kVAR kit, but he made it work.

It really does not make a difference if folks like them or not, Bullpups are in use with many of the world's armed forces (China, Israel, Britain, Australia, France etc...) and are the future.

I've fired the 7.62 version and they're junk. The trigger works via a cable or a rod, I forget which. Real gritty even when clean. There are far better ways to customize your Saiga shotgun.

My kVAR Bullpup kit is has neither a gritty trigger pull, nor is of "junk" construction. You apparently don't know that much about them since you are not sure of how the trigger actually works. I built my with a Norinco Mac 90 but it has a hard (about 7 Lbs) crisp trigger. The one you fired had obviously been built by someone less skilled.

The one fellow that I recall on here that actually built one seemed to have some issues with the size of the S12 being a little on the large size for the kVAR kit, but he made it work.

It really does not make a difference if folks like them or not, Bullpups are in use with many of the world's armed forces (China, Israel, Britain, Australia, France etc...) and are the future.

It does seem to be the next step in small arms evalution. Definatly does reduce the lenght. This would make it easier to drive with it in your lap.

I bet the bull pup variation would work better with the drum.

I just got the MD 20 and you have to reach around it, i.e. forearm in an odd position to hold the weapon for shoulder fire, but from the hip no problem. I'll have to get used to it.

Edited by jacknast76

While I like bullpups generally (have owned an AUG, a bushmaster pistol and a Mossberg pump bullpup), the major issue I have with almost all of them is I'm left handed and the shells would eject into my face. The AUG could be switched and the pump gun wasn't so much an issue, but a Saiga 12 would probably bust my teeth out with the cocking handle coming back. :lol:

Looks like a cool setup though. If they can get the trigger pull to be at least somewhat OK, they should be popular. I'm sure that as soon as someone here gets one, we'll see pics and maybe a video. I hope so anyway.

Corbin

While I like bullpups generally (have owned an AUG, a bushmaster pistol and a Mossberg pump bullpup), the major issue I have with almost all of them is I'm left handed and the shells would eject into my face. The AUG could be switched and the pump gun wasn't so much an issue, but a Saiga 12 would probably bust my teeth out with the cocking handle coming back. :lol:

Looks like a cool setup though. If they can get the trigger pull to be at least somewhat OK, they should be popular. I'm sure that as soon as someone here gets one, we'll see pics and maybe a video. I hope so anyway.

Corbin

When you gain compactness, you loose in erganomics.

Mine fits me fine, but I do agree that most of them are a right handed game only. The new Kel-Tech does promise to be an exception with front ejection coaxial with barrel.

I have had mine a LONG time and I really just discovered something new about it the other day. One of the legitimate problems with the weapon is that it can be slower to load. I was sitting there on the couch the other morning and working out a faster loading method, when I discovered something. The grove in the bottom of the grip had puzzled me for quite a while. I am not sure, this could have been in the manual I never got, but the grove is a loading tool. You just push the mag up against it, and slide it back following the mags arch till it locks directly into the mag port. It is a lot easer and faster then the method I have been using, I always wondered why they when with such an angle and now I know. It is really quite clever.

I met the Russian designer of the stock at the SOF Convention in Vegas, nice old fellow. He was pretty proud of his design and I enjoyed talking to him! He told me that he had also assisted in design work on the AK74.

Edited by Azrial

Mine fits me fine, but I do agree that most of them are a right handed game only. The new Kel-Tech does promise to be an exception with front ejection coaxial with barrel.

I have had mine a LONG time and I really just discovered something new about it the other day. One of the legitimate problems with the weapon is that it can be slower to load. I was sitting there on the couch the other morning and working out a faster loading method, when I discovered something. The grove in the bottom of the grip had puzzled me for quite a while. I am not sure, this could have been in the manual I never got, but the grove is a loading tool. You just push the mag up against it, and slide it back following the mags arch till it locks directly into the mag port. It is a lot easer and faster then the method I have been using, I always wondered why they when with such an angle and now I know. It is really quite clever.

I met the Russian designer of the stock at the SOF Convention in Vegas, nice old fellow. He was pretty proud of his design and I enjoyed talking to him! He told me that he had also assisted in design work on the AK74.

Bull Pups tend to work better is they are designed that way from the start. Conversions always seem to compromise in other areas.

Federal law is an AOL of 26" with an 18" barrel on a shotgun (16 on a rifle). Be sure to check your State law though. Here in MI, I think the AOL is 28" for a shotty and if it's under 30", you have to register it as a handgun.

Corbin

Most informative post about a bullpup in a long time, thanks for the enlightenment, I'm not really into the design, but it it definitely nice hearing a real review from someone with actual experience in the platform. I'm f*ing sick of the copy & paste posts that have become so common in the firearms community.

Hello

I contacted Kushnapup and here is the reply from Bjorn G Muller:

$ 275 retail, kushnapup stock kit is available now if you send payment to me. I hand check all of the parts and test everything to make sure you are gauranteed the highest quality. We have a distributor we are negotiating with so they will be available at retail in gun shops soon if you would like to wait.

Price sounds good but I would like to see one first. Domar

Corbin

HAve you ever even shot a bullpup??? You can't beat the balance and maneuverability.

OK Lighting12. Spill the beans is the Kushnapup your design? I like it as I like bullpup designs and a all in one kit for the Saiga 12 is sweet. If this is your product you may want to consider becoming a business member on the board to help getting the product to us.

I am concerned with the LOP as well. It looks like the pistol grip has to be far enough forward to accomodate the magazine and the stock assembly has to set the receiver relatively far forward of the butt to allow room for the trigger linkage. All the same I think I will get one when I get settled in at my new residence.

Also, does anyone know if the rail comes with it? I looks an Ultimak in the pics, so I am guessing not. I did not see it in the pic that shows the kit in pieces.

Edited by stiletto raggio

After a few rounds of e-mails I have some specs.

29.5" = Over all length with a 18" barrel

18" = Length of pull

3/8" = Trigger pull

This design does not require any permanent modification to the S12. That is why the LOP is so damn long. If it were designed to have the rear tangs removed it could be 2" shorter... right about where it needs to be. Hopefully they come out with two variations: one no-mod variation and the other 2" shorter.

I am interested, but 18" LOP !!!! That is way too much, and I am 6'1". I cannot imagine anyone shorter trying to handle that LOP.