THIS JUST IN! Savage .204 Ruger

I JUST brought her home today... a brand spanking new Savage in .204 Ruger...

I shot it 4 times today at a buddies place, cause I just couldnt wait to try it out...

ZERO kick... but then shes a porker... 26" SS fluted bull barrel help keep the weight up... so when it spits out a rascally little 32 grain bullet at 4300 FPS... Varmints BEWARE!

Now that the scope and bipod are attached, I get to go sight it in... YES!!!!

Hopefully its the tack driver everyone claims them to be! I am confident it will make me proud! hehehehe

:smoke:

savage204.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

with the scope on.... and just a few QUICK 3 round groups... ( not doing SERIOUS SHOOTING) I was averaging a 3/4" group at 100Y...

When it warms up and I can FINE TUNE... I am SURE it will get better!

Ok.... the .204 cartridge is really a .222 magnum necked down to .204. It has a higher shoulder than the .223 and is maybe an 1/8th inch longer overall.

I dont have a .308 for comparison yet.

Tomorrow the rest of my ammo is supposed to arrive, and I will have both .223 and .308 on hand. I will post a pic THEN for you, of the three cartridges side by side.

The .204 is getting about 4300 FPS with the 32 grain vmax hornady bullets.

An inch high at 100 yards translates to DEAD ON at 200 yards, and 4" low at 300.

Another inch high would stretch it out even further! However most of your shooting with this round will be done inside 300.

As to your question about how much is in that rig.. honestly, it isnt as pricey as it looks. I got the rifle for a great price at Gander Mountain, for $650. Another $45 for the bipod, and the scope ( a BSA platinum 8-32 X 50 target scope) was an Ebay deal at $130.00 if I recall correctly. $825.00 as you see it... and shells at about $14.00 a box for 20 rounds...

It LOVES the hornady 32 g. Vmax, it DOES NOT like the remington 40 g. boat tails... shoots them high and to the right...

I was at the range this afternoon... and there was another fellow there who has the RUGER .204 rifle.. he LOVED mine better than his own.. he paid the same as I did.. then had to have an aftermarket trigger installed... Savage comes with the ACCU-trigger in this model... adjustable from 1.5 LBS to 6 LBS trigger pull... its VERY crisp... nicest trigger I have shot in a LONG time!

Edited by IndyArms
$14.0/20 rounds? for a .204?

holy crap!

Yes indeed!!!!!! Thats what I said each time the clerk rang up a box...

We get SPOILED buying ammo in bulk lots... ( $86.00 SHIPPED for a thousand rounds!)

such is the price we pay to enjoy our hobby....

At least its not 7MM Ultramag... that psychotic round goes for like $65.00 a box... YES.. of 20!!!! :cryss::cryss::cryss:

And there are other even more twistedly priced shells out there for the exotic hunting rifle chambers....

I think of those and TRY to convince myself, I got off CHEAP! LOL

Ok... you wanted pics of the cartridge for this, compared to the .223 and the .308.

Just for kicks...I went one step further... I put 8 shells up.. They are as follows, from LEFT to RIGHT:

Wolf 7.62X39 (FMJ)

Hornady .204 Ruger (Ballistic Tip)

Wolf .223 (HP)

Wolf .308 Winchester (FMJ)

Albanian (milsurp) 7.62X54R (FMJ)

Remington .25-06 (HP - 30.06 casing necked down)

Lazzaroni .308 Warbird (Ballistic Tip)

Remington .416 Remington Magnum (Bronze Frangible)

This should give you a NICE size comparison between all the rounds you are familiar with and maybe a couple you arent...

shells1.jpg

the Lazzaroni .308 warbird is just that... its like asking what kind of car is a Chevy Corvette....

Lazzaroni is the maker. the model is the Warbird, chambered in .308...

Sends a 180 grain .308 bullet downrange at 4300 FPS.....

talk about SCREAMING.... but then... look at that cartridge, sucker is HUGE!

Edited by IndyArms

No, I dont... the Lazzaroni Warbird and the .416 are a buddies of mine... I just liked the cartridges, so I have one of each... for such comparisons...

BUT I have shot both.... holy... talk about BIG GUN KICK!!!!

Edited by IndyArms