I have a question about stocks. I hope to convert my Saiga 12 soon. I know there are all kinds available. I know the difference between the original stock, a folder, and a collapsible, but I have never used a folder or collapsible. In your opinion, which one is best and for what reason? Thanks.

I prefer the folder, because it makes the weapon the smallest when not in use. Easiest to store, transport, or carry in a sling on my back. I also have an AR (or two wink wink) with collapsible stock. I like that it will make the weapon smaller or longer depending on my needs, but it will never get as small as a rifle with a folder. IMHO, the folder is the best choice for general home/homeland defense rifles, in basic combat format. If you want a sniper rifle a fixed stock is best, but a Saiga12 is not a rifle.

Edited by Wheel
I have a question about stocks. I hope to convert my Saiga 12 soon. I know there are all kinds available. I know the difference between the original stock, a folder, and a collapsible, but I have never used a folder or collapsible. In your opinion, which one is best and for what reason? Thanks.

On my S12 SBS, the Tromix folding only sticks out 1/2 inch when folded. I have no idea how for out the collapsible sticks out to the rear, but its allot longer than that.

IMHO, the shorter it is, the better it is to discretely transport it, and I transport and store mine allot more often than I do shooting it.

in my opinion, the collapsible stock is the most practical. As it adjusts to individual needs, whether it be a younger shooter, a female or you're wearing body armor, etc.

with that said, all my AKs are folders and my saiga will be shortly (already have the parts, just need to take to the 'smith). For the one fact that they're supposed to be. An AK with a collapsible stock looks bastardized

/my completely unhelpful first post

Edited by 52brandon

For my purposes the shotgun needs to be able to fit into a small package prior to being deployed. If you do not need that capability there is nothing wrong with a fixed stock. Each person will have to decide for himself based on his needs and financial capably. Folding and collapsing stocks definitely cost more money!