Kimber 1911's - Need some advice

I'm looking to buy my first .45 and am thinking about a Kimber full size 1911 since it'd be mainly for target and home defense and because my lame ass state doesn't allow concealed carry, I'm not really interested in the shorter carry models.

any issues out there with Kimber products, or are these pretty much the best of the best?

steel vs. aluminum receivers?

S.S. vs. black finish?

i like the laser grip idea, these work pretty well?

custom_crimson_carry.jpg

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/crims.../crimson_carry/

Also considering a having that rail up front for my streamlight.

06_14_01.jpg

any input would be greatly appreciated! Also, anybody have a good price on these right now?

Edited by sharkbit

Early Kimbers were built on Caspian frames and the quality was excellent. Now the frames are made in the Philippines and are powder casted, involving vegetable oil. My local gunsmith has seen these crack in the weirdest places. That's all I'm gonna say.

For the price you are looking at paying the following fire arms can not be beat. Just look at the quality and the answer is clear.

www.fusionfirearms.com

If I had the money to spend you are looking at spending there is no question. Also the tolerances on Kimbers are so tight they sometimes have jamming issues. I have been to the range with Kimber's my Taurus and Wilson combats. The Taurus's and Wilson's never had an issue. Both Kimber's on the range had issues.

But as you know it all depends on the firearm and there are always lemons. But the Fusions will be my next 1911 purchase. I've been looking at putting one of there Commander slides on my frame for a carry weapon.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

My Kimber ultra carry has been nothing but a money pit of problems.

* Constant double feeds = After 2 weeks of them telling me to try new mags, I finally sent the gun to them and they found the extractor was a little off.

* Shot about six mags and grip cracked in half. Store felt bad and gave me new ones.

* Likes CM mags, pretty much has problems with anything else - not good it you like emergency interchangability

* Started double feeding again every 40-50 rounds

* No more accurate than 1911s costing hundreds less

* I would trust my life to my $300 RIA 1911 before the kimber

* Reminds me why I carry a Glock every day

If you are hellbent on the .45, go to the range and rent one of the new XD45s. For hundreds less, I think you would have a better 45.

My Kimber ultra carry has been nothing but a money pit of problems.

* Constant double feeds = After 2 weeks of them telling me to try new mags, I finally sent the gun to them and they found the extractor was a little off.

* Shot about six mags and grip cracked in half. Store felt bad and gave me new ones.

* Likes CM mags, pretty much has problems with anything else - not good it you like emergency interchangability

* Started double feeding again every 40-50 rounds

* No more accurate than 1911s costing hundreds less

* I would trust my life to my $300 RIA 1911 before the kimber

* Reminds me why I carry a Glock every day

If you are hellbent on the .45, go to the range and rent one of the new XD45s. For hundreds less, I think you would have a better 45.

Thanks for the input! ....and Army of Darkness is one of my all time favorites!

No, the problem with Kimbers is that they use MIM internals (and that f**king polymer MSH). :angry2:

The best (supposedly?) not semi-custom 1911 value right now is the Dan Wesson 1911 line.

HALLEUJAH! Gaddis got it!! Get one and put 200 rounds through it and you will be one happy camper. (the 200 rounds is to break it in) Thanks for keeping me covered Gaddis. :super: My favorite is the Bobtail.

Shark bit you in Ill or Wis? We're the only 2 the unproud no ccw states. Being feeling a itch for a 1911 lately and I will go for the Dan Wesson or a Taurus unless something comes up in the local paper.

Ha, both, I live in Milwaukee, WI and work in IL. Commute is a real bitch. :ded:

No, the problem with Kimbers is that they use MIM internals (and that f**king polymer MSH). :angry2:

The best (supposedly?) not semi-custom 1911 value right now is the Dan Wesson 1911 line.

HALLEUJAH! Gaddis got it!! Get one and put 200 rounds through it and you will be one happy camper. (the 200 rounds is to break it in) Thanks for keeping me covered Gaddis. :super: My favorite is the Bobtail.

Except Gaddis (being a dick with obvious superfluous money to throw around) is probably going for a Les Baer Monolith this time around. :haha:

Screw Cadillac, I want the Bentley of 1911's in my lead slinging stable. :super:

WOW I guess I am the only one that would never sell my Kimber.Rock solid ,great accuracy

never had a jam or any problems.But the best deal that I have seen is thr STI Spartan.Under $700 and super accurate {mine comes in tomarrow] But I still love my Kimber and will probly continue to carry it.Hard to find anything better that holds 14 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For the price you are looking at paying the following fire arms can not be beat. Just look at the quality and the answer is clear.

www.fusionfirearms.com

I used Bob Serva, of Fusion Firearms, to transfer my last 2 online purchases. He's a super nice guy, and from the work I've seen online, builds some of the most beautiful 1911's around.

When I'm in the market for a 1911, I'm definitely going to him for it. Plus, it would be awesome to have a such a nice piece with the "Binghamton, NY" engraved on it, because it's where I live! :super: