Custom forend update, with question

I'm a little farther with my custom forend job now; I've drilled some side ventilation holes and polished up some of the rough spots.

You'll recall that I was going to have this be a two-piece project, with this aluminum channel being the support for an additional handpiece. I've decided to try a vertical foregrip, but I need a source for one that can be bolted directly to the channel, not a rail-mount. All I've seen are the Tapco, so I need to know: can the Tapco VG be modified to bolt on directly, or does it come with some such option?

I looked at the pistol grips while I was searching for a VG, and thought about using one of those, but don't know if I'd like the angle; they might also present a mounting problem. I may have to just put a generic tool handle on it.

Suggestion, please!

post-14677-1233267998_thumb.jpg

post-14677-1233268037_thumb.jpg

Unique look for sure.....when you paint it black or coat it, should look better....not sure about converting a rail mount VG, maybe try bolting on an AR PG, they are kinda slim and it might look cool. Anything US made should keep you compliant from this pont on. Looks like a Surefire 20 + a custom US forend, so you apear ok right now. (14-4=10)

Nice approach to free-float. Honestly, I would bolt on a small rail to the bottom and attach a grip that way. This gives you literally thousands of grips to select from. The rail will also allow you to use a bipod too. The rail is the simplest / sturdiest way to go IMO.

Or, you could cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of your handguard and use a standard AK pistol grip nut, if you have the clearance.

Generic tool handle like on a power drill would work, or you could just cut out a square hole at approx 1/2" x 1/2" and use a pistol grip and the regular PG bushing and screw.

How are you planning on securing the front?

How are you planning on securing the front?

No need to; the front floats, and the channel is rock-solid.

I actually have a little rail that came as an accessory with a pistol I bought. I could use that.

When I first began this project, I had a fixed idea in mind for the handgrip, but I've begun to think of this channel as a platform for a variety of experimental foregrips.

Ooh, I like, and I want.

You can make one for yourself; here's how I did it:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=34485

And yes, I will paint it, but I want to get it finished first. I'm thinking of painting the stock and forend and the magazines something like a forest green.

Edited by heron

Hmm, I've been looking around and seeing a lot of choices . . . the folding ones look interesting, has anyone tried those or know about how well they hold up?

Also, I haven't found it yet, but I know I saw one that had a bipod built in -- who makes those, and are they any good?

Also (again) the pistol grip with the square nut, who makes that?

Edited by heron
Suggestion, please!

I'll consider that an open ended invitation, thank you!

I had planned on using several different diameters of round aluminum tubing, plus the rubber hand guard from a US military 40mm grenade launcher, to construct a fore end for a Saiga-12 (which I've decided not to buy - unless someone makes me the deal of the century ;>). Would've looked great (as I pictured it ;>), and counted as a 'compliance' part, too!

(BTW, you can apparently anodize your own aluminum parts - instructions available online... ;>)

Suggestion, please!

I'll consider that an open ended invitation, thank you!

I had planned on using several different diameters of round aluminum tubing, plus the rubber hand guard from a US military 40mm grenade launcher, to construct a fore end for a Saiga-12 (which I've decided not to buy - unless someone makes me the deal of the century ;>). Would've looked great (as I pictured it ;>), and counted as a 'compliance' part, too!

(BTW, you can apparently anodize your own aluminum parts - instructions available online... ;>)

Yeah... but just be aware that at the hobbyist/well-equipped amateur level, it's hard to get a really durable anodized layer on aluminum.